W.I.P. pics of new projects....

Started by matrixone, January 05, 2011, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

Thanks Ian and dumaniac!

I added a dark brown/black oil wash to the parts that have been painted and while doing this did bring out a lot of needed detail it also darkened the rest of the paint more than planned. What I SHOULD have done here is used a lightened version of the base color to compensate for the oil wash darkening the paint, since I build mostly aircraft models painting and weathering armor models is somewhat new to me. I won't make the same mistake twice. ;)

Since the 'Ostwind' is such a small model I won't get to do a whole lot of weathering on it like I wanted so I opened up a 1/35 scale Italeri Opel Blitz truck and started it, the 1/35 scale Opel will allow me to have a go at adding some weathering to it.

Matrixone

lancer

AGHHHHH Damm you Matrix...*shaking a mittend fist at you here* Even you small scale stuff is absolutely mind blowingly brilliant!!

Don't know how you do it my friend but keep it up. I'll just reach for the 'Knitting Monthly' again...
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

matrixone

Thanks lancer!
Its way too early to declare this one a success...those stupid rubber 'fake' tracks have not yet been fitted and they look to be the let down of this kit.
I have to wait until the oil paint is dry before I can attempt to install the tracks.

I have done more on the Opel Blitz and its looking good at the moment, strangely Italeri supplies the soft rubbery plastic for the tires on this kit... regular plastic would be so much better to work with and far more easy to paint and weather.

Matrixone

Father Ennis

I suggest you pin the tracks down to give them sag. It shouldn't be too hard as long as it isn't too tight.

matrixone

Thanks for the suggestion Father Ennis.
The tracks were a very snug fit but I did manage to get them on. I also glued together the pieces to the hull, before doing so I epoxied some lead weight inside to give the model plenty of extra weight so it would be sure to sit firmly on the tracks and give the finished model the look of something that was quite heavy.

The latest in-progress pics showing the effects of the oil wash inside the crew compartment.

There is not yet enough work done on the Opel Blitz truck to make it worth getting any pictures.

Matrixone

matrixone

The little Ostwind has been given its camouflage scheme and was airbrushed freehanded including the disc camouflage pattern on the turret. In the real world the disc camouflage was hard edged but on my what-if I went ahead and airbrushed it mainly to see if it could be done, in 1/72 scale my experiment was only a luke warm success but in a larger scale like 1/35th it should work just fine. ;)

The model has already been given a coat of Future after its dry it will soon get some oil washes to bring out the surface details. I will try and get more pics soon.

Matrixone

Go4fun

"Just which planet are you from again"?

jorel62

matrixone

Thanks for looking Go4fun and jorel62!

Another in-progress pic, this one shows some of the weathering done so far.

Matrixone

Cobra

This is Superb,matrixone :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: No Matter Waht You Build, it Always seems to Become a Masterpiece,IMHO :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

lancer

How the hell do you get a cammo scheme as good as that in 72nd?? And with an airbrush to boot? More than I can do.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

matrixone

Thanks guys!

lancer,
I just love airbrushing and it shows. ;) Really though, most airbrushes are capable of freehand painting camouflage in small scale, lots of practice has shown me that using very thin paints and low P.S.I. are the keys to being able to paint fine details. A gravity feed airbrush helps a lot but even with my old Badger 150 siphon feed I was able to do some freehand camo on my models.

Matrixone

matrixone

More progress on the Ostwind, today I did some detail painting with the paint brush and painted all the molded on tools on the hull.

I did a little more weathering too but its hard to see in my pics, I need to add a few more things before I spray on the the rest of the weathering effects and flat coat.
This model should be finished in a couple days from now.

Matrixone

Ian the Kiwi Herder

No can't think of anything to say that's different to the other guys.... wonderful work, Les.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)