W.I.P. pics of new projects....

Started by matrixone, January 05, 2011, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

Wooksta,
For a 1970's era kit its pretty good, I wonder how many different boxings Italeri used during this span of time.
The box top on my kit has a photograph of the completed model...with the image reversed! :unsure:
Also the markings seen in that photograph are not even provided in my kit. How bizarre. :-\

Matrixone

PR19_Kit

There's lies, damned lies and then there's marketing............  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

matrixone

Kit,
If I had really wanted to make my model with the markings like those shown on the box top I would have been pissed off after finding out those markings were not supplied in the kit. :-\

Oh...BTW, this Opel truck is going to be marked as a fictional truck used by the Luftwaffe, I will be cutting up the license plate number decals to make something that looks the part. :lol:

More pics...

I decided to add a little wear and tear now on the paint work before I add the Future coat, the heaviest parts of the weathering will be mostly done by oil paints.

Matrixone

matrixone

I started with the weathering using oil paints, here you can see the interior of the truck bed and wheel hubs have been given some oil washes.

The frame and cab has also been given their oil washes but they are still too wet to safely handle so no pics of them today.
Next weathering will be adding some oil washes to the exterior of the truck bed and maybe a little more on the wheel hubs. ;)

Matrixone

Father Ennis

Coming right along !!!   This had always been one of my favorite kits of all time.  One trick I've found handy is to tape my wheel halfs together with a thin strip of tape . This makes painting and detailing a lot easier and you get a good glue bond when you do the final assambly.  If you haven't yet decieded on markings yet ,HMU and I can fix you up with something from the Testors decals sheet or anything else you might want.

matrixone

Father Ennis,
Thanks very much for the offer on the markings, since this model might very well be used in some of my airfield pictures I don't want any specific markings on it. I will be changing the WH license plate into one with WL for a truck operated by the Luftwaffe. ;)

Matrixone

Father Ennis

Well if you to anybody else needs some liscense plates ,I've got multiple copies of the sheet from Dragon and I think I have some other airfield units if you could use them.

matrixone

I really do appreciate the offer on those decals! :thumbsup: Its rare for me to dabble in 1/35th scale subjects so I didn't have any surplus decals of my own.
The reason I want to avoid any markings of a specific unit is I plan to use this truck in some of my airfield pictures with models I have not yet built so the markings must be generic so it will be useable with any large scale aircraft models I build. A 1/32 scale what-if He 162 is in my plans for this year and you will see the Opel in at least a few of the pictures of the finished model. ;)

Here is what the Opel looked like yesterday...

Just a few minutes ago I changed the license plate from the WH to the WL by hand painting them despite shaky hands. ;D
The pick ax and shovel have been painted and will be mounted very soon.
Some of the other smaller details have been painted and the wooden benches inside the truck bed have been glued in, after all these things dry I will get out the airbrush to finish off the weathering and begin final assembly.

...and for the second time I managed to break the rear view mirror off the cab, I was lucky to find it.

Matrixone

matrixone

These may very well be the last in-progress pics of this Opel Blitz, not much left to do on it now.

Some of the smaller details have been added and painted, the truck bed and cab are now glued on and the undersurface has been weathered.

Matrixone

Father Ennis

Looking good there my friend ... !!!!!!!

matrixone

Thank you Father Ennis! :thumbsup:

I just finished cleaning my airbrush after spraying on the last of the weathering, there are only two things left to do on this model...put the wheels on and give it a flat clear coat.
Expect to see pics of the finished model sometime this week.

My next model is a freebie kindly sent to me by another modeler and its something I had never planned on building and is actually a lot of work just to do the basic assembly, the seam lines are about the worst I have ever dealt with. :-\ You will see what I mean when I start posting pictures of that build.

Matrixone

matrixone

A real horror of a kit, its the really old mold Aurora Mummy.

Nearly all the parts had a nasty step on one side of them after assembly which is taking a long time to deal with, I had to carve down one side while building the other side up. Losing the surface detailing of the wrapping would ruin the overall look of the finished model.
Below is a close-up of what the step on the parts was like before re-carving and using putty, also check out the fantastic sculpting of the Mummy's face...terrific compared to the Dracula kit I built earlier this year.

Here you can see the work done on the seam lines on the Mummy's body, it does not look like very much work has been done so far but a fair amount of time has been put into it getting it to this point and there will be even more work dealing with the seam lines when attaching the arms and feet. The colums and tablets also need attention on the seam lines but are as easy to mend as an aircraft model.

Matrixone

matrixone

There has been quite a heatwave in my part of the world this past week so its tough to put much time on the bench so work on my models have been greatly slowed. In a normal summer here there might be one or two days where its too warm to work on models but a whole week is unheard of and its predicted to remain dry and above normal temps for another week or two. :o

Before the weather turned so warm I was able to get the Mummy built and ready for paint.

Also started was this Huma Me 609 and HobbyBoss easy assembly Bf 109G-6.

Matrixone

NARSES2

Looking forward to the 609 and it will be interesting to see what you do with that Hobby Boss kit
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]