W.I.P. pics of new projects....

Started by matrixone, January 05, 2011, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ifor

matrixone

Here are some SBS pictures of a weathering experiment I did on the wing roots of the Bf 109G-10.

Some damp salt was placed on the wing roots where I wanted the weathering to appear.

After the salt dried some RLM 02 was sprayed on.

When the RLM 02 paint was dry more damp salt was added over the edges of the RLM 02, when the salt was dry metall was lightly sprayed on followed by a few spots of chrome silver.

After the paint dried for an hour or so I scraped off the salt to find out what all this work would reveal.

There will be more weathering added to the wing roots later but what I did today was a good start. ;)

Matrixone

matrixone

The model was given its gloss coat and decals were put on...

...after the decals dried another coat of Future was sprayed on, next up I will be using oil paints to add more weathering effects.

Matrixone

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Tophe

Matrixone, I wonder: with the huge talent you have to create "Effect of Real", are you God Himself? (my father :blink: ) ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Modelling_Mushi

Quote from: Tophe on August 11, 2015, 08:57:09 PM
Matrixone, I wonder: with the huge talent you have to create "Effect of Real", are you God Himself? (my father :blink: ) ;D

Tophe, I think that particular job has been taken for a while, together with all the close relation positions (cant say how many, depends on which branch of religious beleig you hold / don't hold).

However, there is no denying talent as a gift, and Matrixone has it by spades.
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

matrixone

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Matrixone

matrixone

The part of modeling I enjoy other than painting is weathering and is now taking place on this model.

Some pin washes with oil paint thinned with Turpenoid was applied on the engine cowl and lower surfaces.

After the pin washes dried for a few hours I used more oil paint to add some oil streaks that was very common for the DB 605, this engine leaked oil and a great many late war 109's had oil stains on the lower engine cowl and fuselage.
Also some dirt colored enamel paint was mixed up and sprayed on the rear of the fuselage and lower wing, I wanted this to represent the aircraft having been operated from a dirt airstrip with some dried mud and dirt stains clinging to the airframe.

Some brown paint was sprayed on to establish where the exhaust stains will be placed, after the flat clear coat is sprayed on the model I will use highly thinned flat black paint to paint on the exhaust stains being careful to not totally cover up all of the brown paint so that it will have a very slight brownish tint to it.

Matrixone

Gondor

Fantastic work as usual. I have a question about the colour between the engine cowling and the fuselage in front of the windscreen. Is that some kind of sealant you have painted there? A brown/coper colour?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

matrixone

Thanks Gondor,
A number of G-10's had a rubber sealing strip on the rear of the engine cowling, its more visible on some aircraft than others...why that is I can't explain. :unsure:

Matrixone

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

matrixone

Had a big setback with he G-10, some of the Future flaked off after the flat clear coat was sprayed on which was really bad because it took some of the weathering off with it. :banghead:
I tried brushing on Future on the effected areas and it looks a lot better now and will try to restore some of the damaged weathering later.
Were I not for the above problems this model was to have been finished by Sunday, I had planned to start the Ho 229 then. :-\

Matrixone

Librarian

Not sure if you know the work of Steve Bowe...very talented modeller. About to start the Zoukei Mura 1/32 HO229:

http://www.bowemodels.com/

Just scroll down :thumbsup:

DogfighterZen

Another masterpiece in the making...  :bow:
Can't recall where, but i've seen that salt weathering technique done on a Tomcat and it gave an excellent result... yours is looking at least as good as that... :thumbsup:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

matrixone

Thanks Librarian and DogfighterZen!

Here are some snaps of a couple what-ifs that I have started...a Huma Ju EF 128 and Revell Ho 229.

The Huma kit is going together very easily and only needed small amounts of filler on a few parts which is about what one would expect from a limited run kit of this vintage. The Revell kit is overall really nice and has good detail for this scale but the nose did not match up too well with the rest of the center section and some filler was needed to blend it in which is a shame because some of the delicate surface detail was lost when sanding off the filler. The wings also did not fit as snug as hoped and a little Mr. Surfacer was required to blend them in.

Not pictured is another Luft'46 model that is under construction is the Dragon 1/72 scale Me P1101 Nightfighter, a cool looking aircraft but the kit itself could be improved starting with clearer instructions. :banghead:

Matrixone