W.I.P. pics of new projects....

Started by matrixone, January 05, 2011, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

Thanks guys!

Some other projects in-progress.
Hasegawa 1/48 scale Bf 109K-4

Arii Ki-61...the arrow points to a large gap that needed filling and has since been filled and sanded using super glue as a filler.

Tamiya Ki-46 Dinah

Matrixone

matrixone

The wheels for the Dinah are now weathered...as they should. ;)

The airframe of the Bf 109K-4 has been assembled, the propeller and spinner have been painted and the wheels have been weathered.

Oil paints have been used on all three Luft'46 jets to add some light weathering, here is the lower surface of the Ho 229.

The Dragon Me P.1101 is not turning out too good, the radar antenna arms made of plastic are warped and after several attempts to correct them the warps always creep back in. :banghead: Well **** it, I am going to finish it as is.

Matrixone

DogfighterZen

As always, brilliant work! The weathering on those wheels makes them look so real... :thumbsup:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

matrixone

Thank you DogfighterZen!

If you like the wheels of the Dinah you will like the airframe too. ;)

Matrixone

matrixone

Thanks very much su27rules!

Only a couple snaps this time...

Pre-shading has started on the Bf 109K-4.

Next some flat white will be sprayed on a few panels to give the pre-shading a more random look to it. If every single panel line was sprayed with a dark shade the finished model would look more like a quilt instead of a scale model of a weathered aircraft, real machines don't always weather the same on both sides so I try to not have my models look too even when it comes to the weathering on them.

The Ki-61 will be getting a NMF and I sprayed on some gloss black first before spraying on the metall.

Matrixone

matrixone

The last in-progress picture for 2015...its a group picture of my current trio of Luft'46 aircraft.

Matrixone

Allan

Matrixone,
Great modelling, as we have come to expect of you, oh exalted one, and I for one really like the mottle on the undersurfaces of the Horten...was that really done in real life and on other types of aircraft as well??? and come to think of it, why were the mottles there in the first place???
from your most loyal and trustworthy disciple
Allan

matrixone

Thanks for the kind words Allan!

As of right now all three models are 99% finished and they should be completed at the end of the day. :party:

About the strange looking camouflage on the Ho 229...the mottling was field applied and not part of the factory paint scheme. In a few days I plan to post pictures of the finished model and will explain the unusual camouflage in my post at that time, it will make sense then. ;)

Matrixone

matrixone

The Luft'46 jets are now finished and I just have to wait for the weather to improve at the airfield to get some pictures of them. ;)

More work has been done on the Ki-61...the dull NMF finish was sprayed on as well as some smaller details such as the non-skid wing walk markings, control surfaces, anti-glare paint on the nose, and the yellow ID markings on the wings leading edges.

Later on some of the markings were masked and sprayed on...I do have decals for these fuselage bands but its easier to just paint them on instead of fussing with getting the decals to sink down on the surface detail.

Matrixone

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 07, 2016, 02:10:27 PM
That looks amazing!  :thumbsup:

Absolutely. I look at the quality of the masking and shake my head, let alone the NMF  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

matrixone

Thanks very much Kit and NARSES2!

With decals it can be hit or miss with fuselage bands so I prefer masking and painting them, plus with all the surface detail this old kit has paint is for sure better...yes decals can be made to snuggle down but that usually means multiple doses of decal setting solutions. :-\

On the Ki-61 I am doing some of the unit markings were placed over the field applied green camouflage so I needed to spray a few places with the green streaked camouflage first before putting on the decals.
After the markings are on the model I will complete spraying on the green streaks on the other parts of the model, this way a tiny amount of overspray will appear on the markings to match the rough field applied painting many of these aircraft wore.

I lightly sprayed on some metall on the non-skid wing walk areas to represent some wear and tear.

Matrixone

DogfighterZen

As always, beautiful work! :thumbsup:
I really like the different shades on the panels, IMHO it gives the model a good dose of realism, excellent! :bow:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

matrixone

Thanks DogfighterZen!

I just free handed spraying some of the panels a shinier shade of metall no masking at all, after spraying on the rest of the green streaks very little of the panel shading work will be seen but its better to play it safe.

Matrixone