W.I.P. pics of new projects....

Started by matrixone, January 05, 2011, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

Painting of the camouflage pattern on the stabilizer and upper surface of the wings on the Bf 109K-4 is now complete.

Matrixone

matrixone

The Dinah is getting some extreme paint chipping done to it, this will be accomplished by using small bits of Tamiya tape and the salt weathering technique. The picture below shows the Tamiya tape being placed on the model.

All the camouflage colors as well as the green JG 27 RVD band have been sprayed on the Bf 109K-4.

The propeller/spinner assembly is put together and was given some weathering.

Here is a small sample of paint chipping done to the K-4 wing root using the same method that will be used on the Dinah trainer.

Matrixone

matrixone

Thanks su27rules!

Another update on the new batch of models.

The jagged bits of Tamiya tape and damp salt was placed on the Dinah trainer and it was sprayed with green paint, it turned out okay but it truly looks more like a war relic that's been rotting away in a jungle for 20 years than a heavily used late war Japanese aircraft.

To fix this problem I added more damp salt in a few places and re-sprayed the model with green paint, its better than it was and there is now a better ratio of green paint to bare metal.

Here is the stabilizers before all the salt was removed from them.

The Bf 109K-4 with its markings put on.

...and the Panther also has its markings put on.

Matrixone

DogfighterZen

What else to say, as always, amazing work!  :bow: :bow: That damp salt technique really works well! :thumbsup:

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Lovely work as usual  :bow: The transfers really do bring the Panther to life
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

matrixone

Thanks guys!

No pictures today, two models were sprayed with Future and the other had gloss paint sprayed on it so these will have to dry overnight before much else can be done to them.

Matrixone

matrixone

Weathering with oil paints has started on the Panther and Bf 109K-4.

The K-4 will get more weathering on the undersurface of the fuselage than what you see here and the weathering is far from being finished...''white 10'' was an early production Bf 109K-4 and had a long service life and at the time it was photographed at the end of the war it was badly damaged with extreme weathering including very large exhaust stains on the fuselage sides.

Matrixone

matrixone

More in-progress pictures of the K-4 after even more work with oil paints has been done.

After I finish with the oil paints I will be switching to enamel paints to complete the weathering.

Matrixone

matrixone

The K-4 has been sat aside so the oil paints can dry so I returned to work on the what-if Panther.

Many of the small breakable things were glued on and some weathering was done.

Matrixone

Gondor

That's starting to look really good  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

matrixone

Thanks Gondor!
I have had a bit of a setback with the Panther, the Tamiya instructions would have you use hot water to soften the tow cables so they could be formed to fit the surface of the tank but after using really hot water I carefully tried bending one of the tow cables and it broke. So with my next attempt I tried water that was close to boiling and the plastic would start to bend before it too broke. By the time I was finished both of the tow cables were in four pieces each. :banghead:
I am no stranger to using heat or hot water to bend plastic but the plastic in this kit is almost brittle which makes me wonder why Tamiya would even suggest using hot water for shaping and bending the tow cables. :unsure:
I gathered the pieces of the tow cables and with some mixing and matching I glued them together and might have one tow usable cable, I have yet to try and see if it will fit on the model...I want that glue to be 100% dry.

Matrixone

Gondor

What I have done in the past is to use some thin cord as the cable. You have to drill a hole into the ends with the eyes on them which can be awkward then some thinned white glue onto the cable when you drape it into position to help stiffen it up so it's more realistic.

Hope that reads well

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Rick Lowe

Picture-hanging wire. Or a thick thread.  ;)

HTH