W.I.P. pics of new projects....

Started by matrixone, January 05, 2011, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Quote from: matrixone on June 13, 2016, 06:40:08 PM
Below is a photograph of the full size Me 262A-2a I am modeling which is ''white Y'' of KG 51.

You sure you haven't got one of your B&W photo's of one of your models mixed up with a RW photo, have you? :blink:

It looks remarkably like one of your pic's! :-\
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Yup. Some historian in the future is going to think he's found a treasure trove of previously unpublished WWII photographs  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

matrixone

Old Wombat,
No mix up so far! ;)

When I do finish the Me 262A-2a I will try and photograph the model in the same position and lighting as the photograph of the full size machine.

Two more in-progress pictures, the scribble of RLM 81 was sprayed on to complete the camouflage on the engine nacelles and fuselage.

Matrixone

matrixone

NARSES2,
That's the idea, this way I can leave my mark on history. ;) Especially my barely what-if models. :wacko:

Matrixone

matrixone

Whilst the paint on the fuselage on the Me 262A-2a dries painting has started on the Me 262A-1a.

This Me 262A-1a is being put in the markings of ''yellow 3'' of III./KG(j)54, this aircraft wore a thin coat of a single dark camouflage color on the upper surfaces that was so thin the filler putty on the fuselage could just barely be seen through the paint. I tried to copy this effect on my model and what you see is here is not meant to represent paint fading.

Before this aircraft was marked as ''yellow 3'' it had the old style four character markings on the fuselage and these were painted over when it was remarked, those brown patches on the rear fuselage represent where the old markings were over painted.

Tomorrow the wings on both Me 262's get their wings painted.

Matrixone

Old Wombat

Quote from: matrixone on June 14, 2016, 04:30:37 PM
Tomorrow the wings on both Me 262's get their wings painted.

Matrixone

Their wings have wings? :blink:

;) ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

matrixone

Oops! Too many Me 262's had me confused and confounded. ;)

Matrixone

matrixone

Wings have been painted and shortly afterwards the engine nacelles were glued on. Only a tiny amount of touch up painting was needed. The idea for painting the engine nacelles separately on the Me 262A-2a turned out to be a good one. ;)

Just a few tactical markings need to be painted and after that the models get their coat of Future.

Matrixone

matrixone

A few tactical markings were painted on and now I can start the decaling process.

Matrixone

Captain Canada

Very nice ! You make it look easy  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

matrixone

Thanks again Captain Canada!

Decals are on and some paint chipping was done.

The job of decaling these models was mostly trouble free except for the blue/white checkered KG(j)54 fuselage band, the fuselage band decals would not stick to the models surface on the topside of the fuselage near the tail and kept popping off the surface. After repeated applications of decal setting solution over a 6 hour time period the decals did settle down but had some nasty breaks in them which required some touch up with paint.

Here is ''yellow 3'' of KG(j)54, the paint chipping on this model has only started. More will be added after the flat clear coat.

The Me 262A-2a was a bomber and the exterior on most bombers of the Luftwaffe were kept in better condition than their fighters, the paint chipping seen here will be the last for this model.

Matrixone

Captain Canada

Love the markings on yellow 3 ! The blue and white looks really good against that camo.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: Captain Canada on June 22, 2016, 04:45:37 PM
Love the markings on yellow 3 ! The blue and white looks really good against that camo.

:cheers:

It does indeed  :thumbsup: I really do like the tail camoflage
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

matrixone

Thanks for the comments!

The camouflage on the tail of ''yellow 3'' on the full size aircraft was painted on with the aid of a stencil.
The tails of the Me 262 were built by subcontractors and for a short time the tails were painted with the stencil, a number of Me 262's flown by Kommando Nowotny had this type of camouflage on the tails. Its uncertain if ''yellow 3'' was a former Kommando Nowotny Me 262 but if it was it had a very long service life, this aircraft nearly made it to the end of the war.

Matrixone

DogfighterZen

Wow... that's superb painting... but then again, i wouldn't expect less, your models are always excellent.  :bow:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"