W.I.P. pics of new projects....

Started by matrixone, January 05, 2011, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

Thanks Bernie,
I can only WISH this model was going well, there are many problems I am having with it and sometimes regret even starting this one. :-\
My expected built models for this year are not going to be as many as I wanted because this kit will take up so much of my time but I still don't want to quit on it because it should make into a good looking model if I can manage to finish it.

Matrixone

matrixone

An in-progress pic of my Bf 110E, this is the undersides after the pre-shading and panel highlighting was done, the model has since been given another coat of RLM 76 to tone down the pre-shading and it looks much better now.

Matrixone

Tuck

How have I missed this thread after all this time.  OMG, man....you have wicked MAD skills, esp. in the painting and finishing area!  Wow, just WOW!

:wub:
"I do this hobby for fun not to be nitpicked, and that's one reason i love this place (What-If) so much, its not necessarily the quality, its the 'spirit' of the build or idea that's important..."-Beowulf

matrixone

Tuck,
Thanks for looking and for the comments!

This Eduard Bf 110E kit is a real handful, not because of the high parts count but because of some poor fit in some areas and also one fuselage half had a warp in it which was hard to get rid of and it effected the fit of the nose later on. There are a lot of small building errors in this model. :banghead:

I am almost done with weathering the wheels and might get a pic posted later today.

Matrixone

Tuck

I am building the Revell G-2 dayfighter right now as well.  That one is no picnic either!
"I do this hobby for fun not to be nitpicked, and that's one reason i love this place (What-If) so much, its not necessarily the quality, its the 'spirit' of the build or idea that's important..."-Beowulf

Pablo1965

matrixone

Thanks Pablo1965,
The panel lines have been toned down quite a bit by spraying on another thin coat of RLM 76, next up for this model is painting on the uppersurface colors.

Tuck,
I don't know if you have one of these Eduard 110 kits, they can be a real pain to build.
A few years ago I built one of the Revell Bf 110G-2 kits, I did not care for the way the lower wings went together...a very strange design, also the tail was crooked and it was a hassle trying to get it on straight but none of these problems come close to the problems the Eduard kit has with it.

Matrixone

matrixone

More in-progress pics...

The canopy frames have been painted and the wheels have been weathered...

The undersurfaces after the last coat of RLM 76 has been sprayed on which toned down the pre-shading nicely.

Matrixone

Gondor

Looking great as usual Matrixone  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Pablo1965

matrixone

Thanks guys!

I started painting the uppersurfaces today, this 110 was repainted during its service life and has a non standard camouflage pattern which will make it a little more difficult to paint because I only have one photograph of this machine to work with.

Matrixone

matrixone

...and more in-progress pics.

The painting of the uppersurfaces is complete as well as the painting on of the yellow tactical markings on the undersurfaces.

The different styles of mottling on the model are intentional, this aircraft was delivered from the factory in 65/02/71 colors and was repainted later in its service life and some parts of the airframe were not repainted and thats the reason for the odd looking mix of mottling styles seen on the model.

The splinter camouflage pattern was painted free handed with the airbrush, the fuselage spine had to be masked because I needed to have a sharp dividing line between the upper and lower colors, the full size machine was painted this way.

And the lower surfaces after the tactical markings have been sprayed on.

Matrixone

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Always a pleasure watching an MX1 build unfold.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

matrixone

Thank you Ian!

No pics this update...my Eduard Bf 110 kit had a few problems with it, the worst one was one of the propeller blades was missing the tip, no, it was not broken it was a short shot and not completely molded. Today I spent a little time trying to fix it and after a few attempts got it fixed, I cut the the propeller blade to even it off and then carefully glued some plastic on the end of it and carved and sanded it to shape...it sounds easy but was harder to do than it sounds, the plastic kept breaking off when I was trying to carve it to shape on the first two attempts.

Matrixone

Gondor

Another method would have been to use superglue and baking soda on the end of the propeller blade then grow to the desired length by adding more glue and powder before sanding to shape.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....