W.I.P. pics of new projects....

Started by matrixone, January 05, 2011, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

Here it is, the old Monogram Zero kit. There won't be very many in-progress pics of this one because its such a fast building kit because of the low parts count.
In this pic you can see the finished propeller and engine cowl, after the rest of the airframe is built and painted I can just glue the engine cowl to the fuselage without the need to mask it off during painting of the airframe.
The seam lines have a coat of Mr. Surfacer on them but that is actually overkill because the seam lines are almost invisable due to the good fit of the larger parts. This kit was molded in 1962 and the parts fit very nicely....why can't the modern kits produced today fit this good?

Matrixone

Pablo1965

It´s a hard work but this model need a person who can appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

matrixone

Thanks Pablo1965 and Taiidantomcat!

I have been trying figure out exactly what mark of Zero this is supposed to be but can't, when this kit was designed in 1962 there was simply not that much information on the Zero to work with. This kit may not be very accurate by todays standards but I think Monogram did a great job on their line of kits produced in the early 1960s and they are still fun to put together today as long as you are not trying to build a model for a competition.

Matrixone

Taiidantomcat

Going to give us a hint as to what scheme/markings it will wear?  ;D

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

matrixone

The markings are a bit of a problem for this model, the kit decals are all but unusable and I will have to use what I have in my spares box. Some markings might have to be hand painted. :o
There are some Zeros pictured in the book by James Gallagher titled ''Meatballs and Dead Birds'' that I will use as a reference for markings and weathering. The book Meatballs and Dead Birds shows a lot of Japanese aircraft just after capture and is a goldmine of information on how to weather models of these aircraft.

Matrixone

Pablo1965

Quote from: matrixone on August 23, 2011, 08:58:21 AM

I have been trying figure out exactly what mark of Zero this is supposed to be but can't, when this kit was designed in 1962 there was simply not that much information on the Zero to work with. This kit may not be very accurate by todays standards but I think Monogram did a great job on their line of kits produced in the early 1960s and they are still fun to put together today as long as you are not trying to build a model for a competition.

Matrixone

Competition?...I never make my planes for this reason, enjoy your hobby as if that was the last model. Who knows? I hope to see your zero soon and I follow this thread specially for the old monogram kit among other things.

matrixone

To me model building is supposed to be fun and I am not one that cares about the competition side of the hobby. I build what I like to the standards I set for myself. For this older Monogram kit I can't expect much out of it but pure modeling fun like I used to have when I was a kid. Some people would never consider building a Monogram Zero because it does not compare well to the modern Tamiya and Hasegawa kits and it is too old to bother with, what a shame because sometimes these old kits can be the most fun!

Matrixone

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: matrixone on August 23, 2011, 10:05:04 AM
The markings are a bit of a problem for this model, the kit decals are all but unusable and I will have to use what I have in my spares box. Some markings might have to be hand painted. :o
There are some Zeros pictured in the book by James Gallagher titled ''Meatballs and Dead Birds'' that I will use as a reference for markings and weathering. The book Meatballs and Dead Birds shows a lot of Japanese aircraft just after capture and is a goldmine of information on how to weather models of these aircraft.

Matrixone

I have that book! I have also masked and painted meatballs but I cheated by always putting them on a white background like the "band aid" white wing stripes home defense fighters wore, that way I don't have to mask that outer white ring perfectly-- of course not all of them had that though.

matrixone

More progress on the Zero, most of the painting is done now and I have to add the clear gloss coat before the decals are put on. I am not done with the painting, after the decals are on I will use the airbrush to fade the paint lightly, this will also help to blend in the decals and give them that painted on look I always try to get on my models.
I was able find some decals that might work for this model so I hope I won't have to paint any markings on.

Matrixone

Pablo1965

Wow, this is going perfectly, and I like this kit.  :thumbsup: I think it was worth, at this time would not change this model by any other produced by other manufacturers. What most surprises me is the accuracy of its dimensions.  :cheers:

Taiidantomcat

That is some very fine airbrushing  :thumbsup: Wow!

matrixone

Taiidantomcat,
All airbrushing so far has been easy, when I start to fade the paint with the airbrush after the decals are on the airbrushing will have to be more precise...and tense...because any mistakes then will ruin the model.

My next model after the Zero? A what-if, but it will be a wheeled what-if. ;D

Matrixone

matrixone

My next group of models...all 1/72 scale.

The Hasegawa Ju88G-1 will be built as is but the Amtech kit will be more interesting, I will be building at as a Ju88G-10 Mistel S3C trainer and will use a Hasegawa Fw 190 kit as the aircraft for the student pilot. The Mistel S3C is a real world aircraft but looks more what-if than real world!

A close up of some of the cockpit parts...they are over weathered on purpose because once the conopies are on only just a hint of the weathering will still be seen.

Matrixone

Pablo1965

Incredible, you always paint the interior magnificently, and leave me stunned. It will be a nice cockpit. :thumbsup: