W.I.P. pics of new projects....

Started by matrixone, January 05, 2011, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

Thanks very much Weaver,
I spend a lot of time looking at photographs of will used or damaged machines and try and copy what I see when weathering my models.

Matrixone

Old Wombat

I was just looking at the photo of the real "Yellow 18" again &, God, she looks tired! :blink:

Do you know when that photo was taken?

By the way, I second the comments made by both NARSES2 & Weaver. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

matrixone

Thanks Old Wombat,
The photograph of the full size ''yellow 18'' was taken in the latter half of 1944...no exact date was recorded.

Yes ''yellow 18'' is rather worn out looking but there could be a reason it looks as tattered as it does, a few Luftwaffe fighters were polished by the ground crew in order to gain a few MPH and the polishing was sometimes done by first using fine grit sandpaper and then waxed with beeswax. In the photograph of ''yellow 18'' the rivets can clearly be seen and the mottling looks extra sparse for an Erla built Bf 109 which makes be believe this aircraft was wet sanded and polished at some point in its service life.

Matrixone

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

matrixone

Its been a while since I posted anything new, here are a couple models in-progress.

1/72 scale Huma Me P1106
Its been assembled and given a thin coat of the late war Luftwaffe light green under surface color.

...and here is the same model after the pre-shading has been added.

1/32 scale Matchbox Me 109E
Like the Me P1106 above this model has its basic assembly finished and is starting to get some paint.

The pre-shading has been added to this model too.

This Me 109E is not my model I am building it for somebody else, so far this old kit has been a bit of a headache not because its a bad kit but because nearly all the parts had been removed from the sprues and placed into plastic bags. :unsure: This made the engine and cockpit assembly difficult as I had to figure out what each blob of plastic was supposed to be.

Matrixone

matrixone

Another model underway is a 1/48 scale Hasegawa Bf 109K-4.

This is not an ordinary K-4, this is being built as a very late war K-4 with the DB 605L engine and four blade propeller and larger supercharger air scoop. The propeller for this model was scratch built and the spinner was modified from an old Revell/Monogram Bf 190G-10, the larger air scoop was taken from a Ta 152 kit and sanded down to reduce its size slightly and made to fit the K-4 fuselage.

Here the main airframe has been assembled and the fuselage has been sprayed with its BMF.

Below the propellers for the K-4 (on the left) and 1/32 scale Matchbox Me 109E (on the right) are now painted.

Matrixone

TallEng

Looking forward to that, :thumbsup:
although a Me109 with a four bladed prop will look odd to my eyes :blink:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

matrixone

Keith,
There were a few Bf 109K-4's fitted with the DB 605L, its unknown if they were also equipped with the four blade propeller.
The DB 605L and the special four bladed prop was intended for Bf 109K-14 production but the worsening war situation forced the cancelation of the K-14, with nothing left to lose the few production DB 605L engines built were used in standard K-4 airframes in the last weeks of the war. It can't be proven if any of these upgraded K-4's were actually used in combat but some claim they did reach the frontlines.
The bare metal fuselage follows the painting practice used on the last known variation of the K-4...RLM 81/RLM 82 upper surfaces with BMF on the undersurfaces and a wide wavy line of RLM 76 along the side of the fuselage separating the 81/82 from the BMF. I have seen a good quality color photograph of a captured K-4 in this scheme and a number of black and white photographs of incomplete Bf 109K-4 fuselages with the exact same paint scheme.

Matrixone

Gondor

Sounds very reasonable matrixone, I may have a got at one of these myself one day.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

matrixone

Some new snaps of two of my builds in-progress.

1/32 scale Matchbox Me 109E

1/72 scale Huma Me P1106

Matrixone

NARSES2

Glad to see usual standards are being maintained  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Army of One

Chris......not wrong there........Mr M.......great work as usual......don't think I've ever seen a four bladed prop on a Me 109.....look forward to seeing that.........
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

matrixone

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Here is the little Huma Me P1106 after some paint fading of the upper surface colors and the installation of the landing gear legs.

Here is the tail of the 1/48 scale DB605L powered Bf 109K-4, this camouflage pattern on the full size aircraft was done with the aid of a stencil. My model's camouflage pattern on its tail was done by using a small paint brush to establish the shape of the dark green spots and then filling in the center of the spots with the airbrush. I did it this way to try and get a VERY tight but soft edge between the colors by allowing a tiny amount of overspray to take place...the left side did not turn out as good as expected but the right side was spot on and has a slight soft edge between the colors.

Below is a photograph of the tail camouflage pattern I was trying to copy.

Matrixone

Cobra

This is Starting to Look Superb :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Another Masterpiece from the Master,Matrixone :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

matrixone