W.I.P. pics of new projects....

Started by matrixone, January 05, 2011, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

Thanks Gondor!

Part of the problem with this older Tamiya Panther kit is it was clearly meant it could also be used as a motorized toy instead of a pure static scale model, some of the fine details are rather clunky looking as you would expect of a toy.

I don't have much on WWII armor in my reference library but did locate a couple photographs showing how the tow cable was mounted.

Matrixone

Gondor

If I remember correctly it was a metal tube with an egg shaped plate over the end with the larger end of the egg shape being the same size as the diameter of the tube or maybe slightly larger thus covering the tube and providing a lip so that the eye of the tow cable could fit over the locating point but not easily fall off. From pictures I have seen of tow cable's, they were fitted in specific locations at the factory but would end up all over the place depending on the length of the cable being carried by the tank. How the tow cable was stowed between any two stowage points would vary as well.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

matrixone

In my few reference books I have on German armor I could see there were many variations of how things were stored on the tanks its hard for a noob like myself to tell what was standard and what was improvised.
BTW, the Panther WILL be what-if and either have the disc or ambush camouflage scheme. ;)

Matrixone

NARSES2

I really do enjoy looking at the work you put into your cockpits  :thumbsup: I enjoy working on cockpits, even in 1/72 for some reason, although I come no where near your or indeed others on this sites standard. I find it quite therapeutic for some reason. Might go back to the days when I painted 15mm wargaming figures.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

matrixone

NARSES2,
On these larger scale kits I really do enjoy painting up the cockpits, even though the Hasegawa detail is a little soft in places they still look good when the model is finished. I can't say I am a fan of those after market pre-printed P.E. sets for 1/48 and 1/32 scale models...sure they have better detail than I could ever paint but still have that 'fake' look to them. :-\ No thanks, I will stick to trying to paint that stuff on if the kit has decent looking molded in detail on the parts.
On my recently finished Tamiya Dinah III painting the cockpit was actually a lot of fun even if the cockpits of Japanese aircraft are a bit strange to me.

Matrixone

NARSES2

I do know what you mean about the pre-printed P.E. I've started to use the Yahu pre-printed instrument panels in 1/72 as they are single piece and just slot into place and they are so much better than I could paint
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

matrixone

For most 1/72 scale models the pre-painted P.E. is most welcome, after the model is complete you can't really see a whole lot anyway of the cockpit, but for 1/32 and many 1/48 scale models the two dimensional pre-painted P.E. does not help much unless the kit has very poor surface detail on the cockpit parts. Besides, painting the cockpits is the S.O.P. for most people in my age group...when we started there was no such thing as P.E. aftermarket parts. ;)

Matrixone

NARSES2

Very much agree with you sir. When I started modelling in the late 50's you didn't even get a cockpit. Just a solid space with the pilots head and shoulders moulded as part of it and those kits are still out there. The Airfix Comet for one.

When I got back into modelling I thought etch was de riguer by all the reviews I read. Now I realise that a few pieces in a 1/72 cockpit can help it a lot but most you won't see. I used to sometimes get the Eduard Zoom sets but now I tend to use a Yahu instrument panel (if they do one) and Eduard pre-painted seat belts. Although I must admit masking tape will get used if the canopy is thick or heavy framed and is going to be posed closed.

matrixone

Some new piccies...

This 1/35 scale Panther is being done in a whiff scheme that I call 'discbush'.
Here is the model after some white highlights were sprayed on to give the paint a worn uneven look and is the first stage in weathering.

...and here it is after the dark yellow was sprayed on.

Here is the RW 1/32 scale Hasegawa Bf 109K-4, the airframe is assembled and some highlights were sprayed on before the coat of RLM 76 was added.

Matrixone

Gondor

Both looking great Matrixone  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

matrixone

Thanks Gondor!

Here is the what-if Panther in its 'discbush' camouflage scheme. :wacko:

Matrixone

Old Wombat

That's a pretty neat scheme on the Panther, breaks up the outlines of its features nicely! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Interesting.  It puts me in mind of bunches of grapes.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on April 21, 2016, 03:26:04 AM
Interesting.  It puts me in mind of bunches of grapes.

Yup. Very suitable for France, Italy and Greece in that scheme.

matrixone

Thanks for your comments!

The little 1/72 scale Dinah trainer was given a patchy coat of dull metall, later this model will get a camouflage scheme of dark green over light gray but will have massive amounts of paint chipping done to it using tape and the salt weathering technique.

The 1/32 scale K-4 had the wings and stabilizer painted with a coat of RLM 75 followed by some highlights with a much lightened version of RLM 75.

The Panther received some dry brushing with dark yellow to represent some of the brown and green paint wearing off in the high traffic areas...later during the build some light paint chipping will be done in these same places.

Matrixone