W.I.P. pics of new projects....

Started by matrixone, January 05, 2011, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

Thanks su27rules!

Also thanks for the suggestions on replacing the tow cables. I really wanted to build this Panther O.O.B. as much as possible.

Matrixone

Gondor

Quote from: matrixone on May 11, 2016, 09:43:43 AM
Thanks su27rules!

Also thanks for the suggestions on replacing the tow cables. I really wanted to build this Panther O.O.B. as much as possible.

Matrixone

It is not always possible to do that but I understand.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

matrixone

Building armor models is quite a change for me so I really wanted an O.O.B. build to keep it simple. Of course I did not know this Tamiya Panther is an ancient kit with some issues when I bought it...back then I thought that since its a Tamiya kit its going to be a cutting edge and well engineered kit but it turned out to be a 1970's era kit that was probably amazing back then but not so good in 2016.

Some work on the K-4 to show, after looking at photographs of the full size ''white 10'' I noticed what looked like rain marks were present in the exhaust stains, I have been trying to figure out a way to replicate this feature on my model and had been thinking about using a paint brush dampened with thinner to 'draw' the vertical streaks in the exhaust stains but I decided against it because it would be too easy for things to go wrong if too much thinner was left in the paint brush. So I decided to try something else, using black oil paint I painted on some thin vertical lines in the places where the exhaust stains will be painted, if it goes right the black lines will barely show through the exhaust stains and will give the illusion of rain marks that had washed some of the sooty exhaust stains down towards the lower parts of the fuselage.

Using the same black oil paint I dirtied up the rear of the lower engine cowling to give it a more well used appearance.

Matrixone

Allan

and Matrix, will you attach the tailplanes later on? How can you be sure that you will be able to attach them without marring the wonderful paint surface of your model?

matrixone

Thank you Allan!

Painting that multi-colored camouflage pattern on the tail was just so much easier with the tailplanes off. On my last four late war 109's that had the stencil applied camouflage pattern on the fin and rudder I glued the tailplanes on them after painting.
To make sure they will fit properly I did plenty of dry fitting so there will be no nasty surprises later on. ;)

There are going to be two Me 262's on my production line soon and one of the Me 262's will have scribble camouflage on the fuselage sides and sides of the engine nacelles and to make it easier to paint the engines will be painted first and then added to the wings similar to what I did with the 109 tailplanes.

Matrixone

matrixone

More in-progress pictures of the models...

The K-4 has had the exhaust stains airbrushed on and you can see towards the rear of the fuselage some of the soot from the exhaust stains has been washed downward by rain or heavy mist leaving some streaks. ;)

Some work has been done on the Ki-46 trainer and Panther...both of these are what-ifs.

The yellow ID markings on the leading edges of the wings and the undersurfaces were painted on the Ki-46, its hard to see clearly but the fin has been painted black, I will hand paint the special markings for this aircraft.

The Panther is close to being finished, the road wheels and tracks were installed and since this picture was taken some detail painting was done as well as some small bits were glued on.

Matrixone

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Panther is looking really good  :thumbsup:

I have a Ki-46 trainer kit in the stash. Keep meaning to build it with a 37mm (or even 47mm as the Japanese had a penchant for large calibre guns) mounted in the upper cockpit as a B-29 destroyer
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

matrixone

Thanks!

The Ki-46 trainer had the unit markings hand painted on the tail and once that was done the tail planes were glued on.

My Dinah is being built as an aircraft that was to carry two bombs on a one way mission to try and defeat the Americans during the invasion of the Japanese main land. By that time there was no need for trainers and anything that could fly was to be used as guided missiles.

More fun on the way...
Me 262 double builds, both from Tamiya kits.

Matrixone

Modelling_Mushi

Quote from: matrixone on May 17, 2016, 06:30:03 PM

The K-4 has had the exhaust stains airbrushed on and you can see towards the rear of the fuselage some of the soot from the exhaust stains has been washed downward by rain or heavy mist leaving some streaks. ;)

Your work is always fantastic and this is typical - a subtle touch of reality that blends the model closer into the setting. I know that your 'broad brush' modelling skills are right up there, but it is these small flourishes that set you -and a small number of others on this forum - apart.

I can only stand back and cheer you lot on.
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

Snowtrooper

The Dinah looks so worn out one wonders whether her flight will spontaneously turn into a half-way mission instead... ;D But it just means that the weathering is perfect :thumbsup:

matrixone

Thanks very much for your comments Modelling_Mushi and Snowtrooper!

Only a couple in-progress pictures today.

The canopies were only tacked on to use them to mask off the interior during painting and I popped them off today and removed the masking tape and hand painted the canopy frames. After the green color was painted on I then added some paint chipping to the framework so they would better match the badly chipped up airframe.
Also the Hinomaru markings were added, these came from a Techmod decal sheet. The kits decal sheet was looking to be in poor shape and chose not to use them.

Matrixone

matrixone

I used some notebook paper and cut circles in it that matched the diameter of the red portion of the Hinomaru's and used the notebook paper as soft masks so I could airbrush on some pale red to tone down the brightness of the Hinomaru's. The soft masks worked perfectly and I will remember to use this idea on other Japanese aircraft builds.

A couple of Tamiya Me 262's recently started...here are the cockpit parts after being sprayed RLM 66.

Matrixone

matrixone

Some progress on the Me 262's.

The wheels have been painted and had some of the weathering put on them, more will be added later with the airbrush.

Below is a photograph of the full size Me 262A-2a I am modeling which is ''white Y'' of KG 51.

The start of painting the upper surface 'scribble' was done with RLM 82 green.

Matrixone