C-5 Gunship Idea

Started by Cobra, January 06, 2011, 12:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, in a Book Series i once Read, The Good Guys Converted a C-5 Galaxy,2 of them to Be Exact, into Gunships! How does that sound for a WHIF? Anyone want to take a Crack @ it? Thought Since There seem to Be No C-5 WHIFs, thought i'd Bring it up! What Say You? Thanks for looking.Dan

Maverick

You could certainly load up a Galaxy with a bucket load of weapons.  I'd wager that you'd even go bigger than a 105mm too given the physical size of the airframe in comparison to the Herc.  I guess it ends up a case of usable space in the final instance.  With the weapons all mounted on the cargo floor for the Herc, I'd have to assume that the C-5 would be set up in a similar way.  In that instance, the cargo area would be have a bucket load of space that would be, to all intents and purposes, wasted.  With a payload of approximately 270,000 lbs as opposed to the Herc's 45,000 lbs, one definiately can see an AC-5 toting some serious firepower either way.

Regards,

Mav

pyro-manic

Or even a C-17 gunship. A pair of 155mm guns, a GAU-8 and an MLRS launcher should just about do it. ;D
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

philp

By the way, doing a Google Image search for just Gunship brings up some pretty neat ideas.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

proditor

Heh, I have also considered whether or not to try and make Bozo and Nozo, but the wife would kill me if I did it any scale other than 1/700.  ;)

All hail Hawk Hunter, the WINGMAN!!!   :lol:

upnorth

A C-5 based gunship!? Is that all you're prepared to send at them? :lol:

Make it an An-225 gunship. The beast is called "Dream" in the real world, we could WHIFF it into a "Nightmare" here.

Seriously, that AC-5 is a nasty looking contraption.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Cliffy B

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Alvis 3.14159

Quote from: proditor on January 06, 2011, 10:05:39 AM
Heh, I have also considered whether or not to try and make Bozo and Nozo, but the wife would kill me if I did it any scale other than 1/700.  ;)

All hail Hawk Hunter, the WINGMAN!!!   :lol:

I finished reading the first book in a restaurant with "Danger Zone" playing on the radio..it was pretty cool! A gigantic furball with Soviet and ex-USAF planes all against one guy in an F-16..and then the BUFFs showed up! Silly stuff, but loaded with testosterone to the max!

Alvis Pi

lenny100

already done the c-17

has a gun from the as 90 and 4 bushmasters
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

lenny100

Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Cliffy B

Given the size of these birds compared to venerable C-130, I wonder if the 105 could be upgraded to the 155 or even higher?  The C-17 and C-5 can definitely carry the extra weight of a 155 but I wonder how it would affect the other guns.  Would they have to carry less ammo or less guns to offset the weight increase or would it not be an issue at all?  Thoughts?
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Maverick

As I said Mike, the Galaxy has five times the lift capacity than the Herc so I seriously doubt that they'd have to sacrifice much to hang a 155 up there.

Regards,

Mav

lancer

Quote from: Maverick on January 06, 2011, 02:46:49 PM
As I said Mike, the Galaxy has five times the lift capacity than the Herc so I seriously doubt that they'd have to sacrifice much to hang a 155 up there.

Regards,

Mav

What effect would a 155mm gun firing have on the airframe though?
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Maverick

Fair call Chris, but one would assume the Galaxy would have a stronger airframe than the Herc given it's lift capacity and it's a jet.  I would consider that a jet powered aircraft would have to be structurally stronger by default.

Regards,

Mav

Alvis 3.14159

Not necessarily, if one is made to be tactical and hammer onto semi-prepared airstrips, and the other greases onto paved runways. Considering the vibrations four sets of props must induce, I'd think the Herk would be the stronger bird.

Alvis Pi