Flood Vehicle ?

Started by raafif, January 11, 2011, 01:10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Quote from: Weaver on January 12, 2011, 01:20:22 PM
Personally, I think you'd be mad to take any surface vehicle out on a rescue mission during the initial phase of a flash flood when the waters are moving fast and full of debris: even a hovercraft can be hit by a car/tree/house. The only vehicle that should be doing rescues in those conditions is a helicopter. Once the flash is over and you're dealing with "simple" flooding with low-energy water, then most amphibious vehicles become more useful.

Agree entirely!

In fact, when it comes to operating on the water in treacherous conditions such as the floods currently seen, you are actually hard pressed to go beyond the proven Zodiac class of rigid inflatable boats:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

raafif

==Amphitruck==   oh, no, it's a Bedford !

It would seem that there is a need for Jerry Anderson's International Rescue.  After all, during their off-season, we do hire the Ericson skycranes & other water-bombers to fight bushfires -- surely a similar swop can be done with major flood rescue vehicles on a regular basis ?

Believe the Russian PTSM meets the requirements but is now out of service by all except Czech preservation groups.

Hope you're dry Greg !
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

rickshaw

Quote from: nebnoswal on January 12, 2011, 01:43:06 PM
Quote from: rickshaw on January 11, 2011, 02:07:00 AM
The LARC 5s were retired of the Australian Army decades ago.  Never replaced.  :(

I wouldn't say decades ago, they went to east timor in 1999.  And I remember coming ashore on the back of one at Cowley beach on exercise back in 2004.  They were retired not long after, most finding new homes in the tourist industry.

Interesting.  Perhaps I should have said, "started retiring them decades ago" 'cause I remember seeing them starting to go up for auction in 1989, just after I retired.  They were pretty worn out too, from what I understood.

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

manytanks

I took this photo in the Army museum just a month ago. Update it .....It was at the Bandiana army museum near Wodonga.
Do you have any models at all?

GTX

The would scare the hell out of me if I was clinging to a tree in flood waters and saw those teeth coming right at me! ;D

Regards,

Greg

rickshaw

Quote from: manytanks on January 12, 2011, 04:32:53 PM
I took this photo in the Army museum just a month ago.

Which "Army Museum"?

nebnoswal

Quote from: GTX on January 12, 2011, 10:59:57 PM
The would scare the hell out of me if I was clinging to a tree in flood waters and saw those teeth coming right at me! ;D

Regards,

Greg
Thats the LARC that was posted to ANARE, Antarctica.  No doubt the teeth are for eating ice.  ;D

I stand corrected on my previous on retirement.  According to the PM "the larc's" are coming.  From Townsville no doubt, so that's a C-17 or C-130(I've never seen one in Herc before) ride for them .  Either that or she has been confused with all the Mog's and Bushie's getting lot's of TV attention lately.
cheers
Ben of Oz

raafif

Regards,

Greg

Yeah ! blood drops on the upper right tooth indicates penguin munching !!

Wondered about Gillard's mention of LARCs too  :unsure:

Apparently Brisbane's northern suburbs don't exist -- all the TV stations have failed to mention areas where friends live -- Toombul / Nundah, Geebung / Zillmere & Strathpine (Murder City) -- concentrating purely on the CBD &  south-western, ad nausium.  (my internet is too slow to access most websites).

DISASTER -- the XXXX Brewery went partially under -- but enough supplies are in a dry warehouse.

Here in Tasmania the local caravan park has been evacuated & villages on the north-east coast warned to prepare for flash-flooding.

Apparently Rio in Brazil is also coping it -- TV here has ignored all other World News.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

nebnoswal

Quote from: raafif on January 13, 2011, 03:05:59 PM

Regards,

Greg

Yeah ! blood drops on the upper right tooth indicates penguin munching !!

Wondered about Gillard's mention of LARCs too  :unsure:

Apparently Brisbane's northern suburbs don't exist -- all the TV stations have failed to mention areas where friends live -- Toombul / Nundah, Geebung / Zillmere & Strathpine (Murder City) -- concentrating purely on the CBD &  south-western, ad nausium.  (my internet is too slow to access most websites).

DISASTER -- the XXXX Brewery went partially under -- but enough supplies are in a dry warehouse.

Here in Tasmania the local caravan park has been evacuated & villages on the north-east coast warned to prepare for flash-flooding.

Apparently Rio in Brazil is also coping it -- TV here has ignored all other World News.
There was some interesting footage of the Four X Brewery yesterday, which is now flooded in its lower levels. (This was the inspiration for Terry Pratchett's land of 'Fourecks'). The brewery officials, always keen to mitigate any bad publicity, announced that they were not affected, and brewing was still going on around the clock.

Unfortunately however, their flooding was not caused directly by the Brisbane river overflowing its banks, but rather from water coming up into the brewery through the sewers. This resulted in footage showing lots of little logs floating around among the neatly stockpiled pallets of beer.

Cynics would say it is crap beer anyway
cheers
Ben of Oz

rickshaw

It is.  Only a banana-bender could like it.   If XXXX's brewery was lost, the average quality of Australian beer could only improve - markedly.   :wacko:

On a more serious note, I hope everybody comes out OK.

manytanks

yep its VB for me!
Do you have any models at all?

Weaver

You could always modify the old XXXX advert:

"What about the crocodiles in the floodwaters?"

"Nah, the LARCs ate all the crocodiles....."

Hat, coat, waterwings, gone......................
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on January 13, 2011, 08:30:58 PM
If XXXX's brewery was lost, the average quality of Australian beer could only improve - markedly.   :wacko:

Beat me to it  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 14, 2011, 08:10:32 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on January 13, 2011, 08:30:58 PM
If XXXX's brewery was lost, the average quality of Australian beer could only improve - markedly.   :wacko:

Beat me to it  ;D

Some of us grew up with good quality beer and know what it should taste like.  Nothing but the Coopers Family's products for me!   ;D

GTX

Some of us are more civilised and pass on beer altogether...

Regards,

Greg