How big is the canopy/nose of...

Started by rickshaw, January 11, 2011, 06:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

I've a few ideas floating around.  I need to know the width of the following models' cockpit canopies/forward fuselages (1/72 of course):

A-6 (any version)
EA-6
Vulcan
Sea Vixen

If someone could measure them, and post the info, it would be most appreciated.

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kitnut617

I just happen to have an EA-6 under my desk right now.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

pyro-manic

Can do the Sea Vixen in a couple of hours - I've got a Revell/Frog one and the Xtrakit one at home.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 11, 2011, 07:20:38 AM
I just happen to have an EA-6 under my desk right now.

Doesn't everybody?  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

OK, Frog kit has a width of 24.5mm at the point where the wing root/intake fairing ends, which is level with the front of the coal hole hatch, and about halfway along the pilot's pit opening. It narrows down to a shade under 19mm at the point where you would attach the radome part.

Xtrakit Vixen has widths of 24mm and 18mm at the same points, respectively.

Mossie

With the Airfix Vulcan the forward fuselage is widest immeditately in front of the intakes then tapers off.  You could chop it at any point pretty much.  The panel line immediately in front of the cockpit might be considered the true 'nose', although there are a few panel lines where you could take it off.  I've given you the measurements from those panel lines to the end of the nose thimble in brackets.

Panel line in front of intake (118mm):                            40mm
Panel line in front of cockpit (60mm):                            35mm
Panel line between previous & nose thimble (28mm):      26.5mm
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

philp

rs,
Do you need the whole nose of the plane for your build or just the cockpit section and then create your own nose for it (yes, I saw your other post).
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

rickshaw

Quote from: philp on January 11, 2011, 02:45:46 PM
rs,
Do you need the whole nose of the plane for your build or just the cockpit section and then create your own nose for it (yes, I saw your other post).

Good question.  This is a bit of long term planning at the moment.  I am unsure whether I'll use the whole nose or just the cockpit section.  What I do definitely need is the width of the fuselage at the cockpit and the cockpit width.  What I'm looking for is a side-by-side cockpit basically for a new V-bomber to be built sometime this year.  A Vixen style fighter canopy might also be suitable.

To the list I'll add, if I may:

Hawker Hunter trainer...

Mossie

Going on the guidelines you gave, the Vulcan measurements are:
Fuselage at rear of cockpit:     39mm
Fuselage at front of cockpit:    35mm
Cockpit width:                       19mm

Quote from: rickshaw on January 11, 2011, 04:39:43 PM
A Vixen style fighter canopy might also be suitable.

In that case I'll give you the fighter-style Canberra measurements, as I happen to have the B(I).8 kit in front of me:
Fuselage:     28mm
Cockpit:       11mm
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

rickshaw

Thanks, I've already got a Canberra.  I'm loath though, to cut up such a lovely (and comparatively expensive) kit, just for its cockpit area.   Unless someone has a spare 1/72 Canberra nose/cockpit area they don't need?  ;)

Mossie

Well, I managed to get a pair of PR.9 wings from van883 after his kit bit the dust, he might still have the fuselage?  Someone might also have bits from the old Matchbox kit?

rickshaw

So, anybody able to measure a Sea Venom and a Hunter Trainer (side-by-side seating)?

Gondor

Widest part of the 1/72 scale Hunter trainer nose by Odds & Ordnance is 22mm

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

pyro-manic

I can do a Sea Venom tonight when I get home. :)

pyro-manic

I make the Frog Sea Venom 18.5mm across, level with the wing root. The fuselage is pretty much constant in width, only tapering towards the rear and right before the radome join.