Brotherhood of the Rafale

Started by FAR148, January 13, 2011, 01:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FAR148

Quotewhere the heck is the bloody 30mm cannon?!

Photographer unknown

Looking forward to seeing those profiles!
Steven L :thumbsup:

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Cliffy B on January 20, 2011, 07:11:03 PM<...> where the heck is the bloody 30mm cannon?!  :blink:  I can't find a cannon port for anything.  I feel like its staring me in the face but I still can't find it  :banghead: <...>

A lot of the time, it is covered.

CLICKY #1!
CLICKY #2!

What I don't know, though, is whether this cover is in place when the gun isn't used or whether it's some kind of frangible cover (like
on some rocket launchers) that is jettisoned/shattered before cannon use.

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

rickshaw

So, what are the principle external differences between the land and naval variants of this beast?

I'd like to try a two-seater naval or perhaps a single-engined variant.  Any suggestions as to what engine to put in the back?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: rickshaw on January 21, 2011, 06:31:40 AM
So, what are the principle external differences between the land and naval variants of this beast? <...>

The M has a beefier tailhook and heavier front-landing gear with catapult launch bar. The main undercarriage only has a few tie-downs more than the land-based variant.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

pyro-manic

I don't think France produce an engine large enough for a single one to power a Rafale. The M-88 produces about 17,000lb in reheat, so you'd want a pretty hefty engine to match the output of two. Maybe an F135/F136 or an F119 would do the job.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Cliffy B

Alright gents, I bring you my Arctic Rafales of VFC-111!

For my world, I have them license built by N-G for the USN and USAF Aggressor/Adversary squadrons.  Way easier then dealing with Dassault's stellar customer service  ;D  Operation Polar Star is a bi-annual NATO exercise held in Alaska starting in 1993.  All services come together for a intensive three week exercise centered around repelling an invading force from land, sea, and air.  Different countries take turn being the attackers and the defenders.  The Aggressor/Adversary squadrons always put on quite a show with VFC-111 often stealing it for the USN.

Enjoy!

-Mike
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

FAR148

Damn you Cliffy! I just may have to buy another Rafale now. Wicked awesome profiles  :wub:

Steven L  :drink:

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Cliffy B

So I got to thinking (bad idea I know  ;D), if VFC-111 is still flying Rafales during the USN Centennial of Aviation celebration in 2011, how would they re-paint some of their Rafales?  I bring you first such example to roll out of the paint shop; a tri-color Rafale commemorating an F6F-5 Hellcat that flew from the USS Hornet (CV-12) in January of 1945.

More to come later on  :thumbsup:

Enjoy!

-Mike
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Cliffy B on January 25, 2011, 11:52:56 AM
<...>
More to come later on  :thumbsup:
<...>

I hope it'll be something from the Crusader/Phantom/Tomcat "Gull Gray over White" days with high-vis squadron markings.....
Cheers,
Moritz

FAR148

Here's a little something for your Rafale builds. Intake covers! Just right click save as, print out full size, tape or glued them to a piece of styrene, cut, sand and Ta-dah! Once cut and fitted, you could dress them up with some handles or something. The covers are 1/48 scale and will fit the Revell kits.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v61/far148/48scaleintakecovers.jpg

Enjoy!
Steven L  :wacko:

FAR148

Revell Germany rereleased the Dassault Rafale M with Bomb Racks alittle while ago.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/rvg04517.htm

Long live the Brotherhood!
Steven L  :wacko:

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Is it OK to remind folks of these two ??

Think I'm feeling a tingle in my Rafale genes  :blink:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Scooterman

Quote from: Ian the Kiwi Herder on December 26, 2012, 08:58:50 PM
Think I'm feeling a tingle in my Rafale genes  :blink:

Ian
[/color]

I was just thinking the same, Ian. Time to drag out my other M bird.  Might be marked from something down your way, my brother!

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: Scooterman on December 26, 2012, 09:01:09 PMI was just thinking the same, Ian. Time to drag out my other M bird.  Might be marked from something down your way, my brother!

It would be rude not to, Brad, especially as one of my B's is coincidentally marked for a base on the North American continent. Maybe we should continue our exchange by PM..... You gonna freak, bro !!  :wacko:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)