Helicopter Fighters

Started by Zombolt, January 18, 2011, 05:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

rickshaw

Quote from: Army of One on January 20, 2011, 12:22:33 PM
Moritz......many thanks n I'm aware of the limited movement of the Ka50 gun.....what I meant was a trainable mount like on most other armed helicopters like the AH64,Mi24D,cobra n suchlike......

Are quite inaccurate, as you've surmised.  The difference between where the system thinks its pointing the target, where the pilot is pointing his helicopter and where the target actually are (particularly if its moving) are such that you've got very little chance of hitting a target with the first round if the weapon is manually aimed.  Of course, with something like Longbow, it would be possible to slave it to the radar and let a computer do the calculations.  Much more accurate but still not 100% or even 95+%.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

dy031101

I have to say that P277 Fledermaus caught my eyes- AFAIK the only other AH being actively advertised as being capable of carrying more than eight AAMs of any kind is the WZ-10 (sixteen TY-90).
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Hobbes

Quote from: rickshaw on January 20, 2011, 04:10:39 PM
Quote from: Army of One on January 20, 2011, 12:22:33 PM
Moritz......many thanks n I'm aware of the limited movement of the Ka50 gun.....what I meant was a trainable mount like on most other armed helicopters like the AH64,Mi24D,cobra n suchlike......

Are quite inaccurate, as you've surmised.  The difference between where the system thinks its pointing the target, where the pilot is pointing his helicopter and where the target actually are (particularly if its moving) are such that you've got very little chance of hitting a target with the first round if the weapon is manually aimed.  Of course, with something like Longbow, it would be possible to slave it to the radar and let a computer do the calculations.  Much more accurate but still not 100% or even 95+%.

That's odd. You'd think they would use the optical turret to provide detailed targeting info (like the MiG-29, where the gun is slaved to the IRST).

Maverick

Hobbes, when you say the MiG's gun is slaved to the IRST, what do you mean?  I assume the gun would be fixed in the fuselage so I'm wondering what use the IRST ball would have in any gun firing, beyond letting the pilot know he was within range to use the weapon.

Regards,

Mav

Hobbes

IIRC, the gun is allowed to fire only when the IRST concludes there is a target in the crosshairs. This means the bullets aren't wasted firing into empty space.

GTX

Does anyone have a good 3 view drawing (or even better a cutaway) of this - want to file for future scratch build!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Cobra

Greag, Don't know about Cut away but.., that Pic looks like something they Offered in the G.I.Joe line back in the 80's, i think. check out www.yojoe.com to see what i mean. Dan

Weaver

Quote from: Maverick on January 21, 2011, 12:36:57 AM
Hobbes, when you say the MiG's gun is slaved to the IRST, what do you mean?  I assume the gun would be fixed in the fuselage so I'm wondering what use the IRST ball would have in any gun firing, beyond letting the pilot know he was within range to use the weapon.

Regards,

Mav

The IRST (which incorporates a laser rangefinder) feeds target bearing and range into the fire control system which puts an accurate "where your rounds will go" cue on the HUD. The pilot then flies that cue onto the target. I'm not sure if the Russian system incorporates a "Fire-Fly" system, as tested on F-15s and Viggens, which cross-linked the sensor (in their case the radar) directly to both the fire and flight control systems, allowing the fire-control to fly the aircraft onto target directly. This achieved some near-impossible kills in tests, but I'm not sure if it was ever deployed.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Maverick

Thanks for the info guys.  I figured that the IR tracker would enhance the gun's capabilities but not completely take over which sounds very over-tech to me veering into the UAV world.

Regards,

Mav

chrisonord

This thread has got me rummaging through the box of dead models in the shed, to dig out a wrecked PAH-2 Tiger that I turned into a helicopter fighter a very long time ago. The fuselage has seen better times, but it is salvageable, and the Dauphin tail fan will go back on easy enough too.
I won't bother with the booster jets on it this time round, and I will change a few other things on it too.
So that is now 4 models on hold while I hack this thing to bits and rebuild it  :wacko:
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Army of One

Oh yes,gotta see that.......any more info on it....?
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

chrisonord

Did some more work on it tonight, some more putty on the tail fan joint, weapons sponsons from an OV-10 modded and glued onto the fuselage, new fixed tricycle landing gear, radar bump on the nose. Just hoping the canopy will go on as it is one which was removed from another dead pah-2.
weaponry so far, 4 aim-9's, 2 aim-120's, 2 .50;s in one sponson and a 30 cannon in the other. Been doing a Mi-24 also which is not far off finished too  :wacko:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Army of One

Loaded for bear then.........cool.....seen the Cartel Hind... :thumbsup:......looking forward to the PAH-2 creation....... ;D
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!