VF-101 Grim Reapers F-15N

Started by Keith Diamond, January 20, 2011, 10:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Diamond

1/48 Academy kit with Superscale Decals

Man, we should have cloned twenties. Jackson wouldn't have given a poo-poo.

Army of One

Nice finish on the kit.....great work around the engines.....love those decals as well.......one question......probably really silly as well but.....is that the 1/48 F14 crew...?
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Taiidantomcat

Very nice! Great display! cool banking angle especially with the crew looking around  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Keith Diamond

Thanks guys!

Quote from: Army of One on January 20, 2011, 10:37:55 AM
Nice finish on the kit.....great work around the engines.....love those decals as well.......one question......probably really silly as well but.....is that the 1/48 F14 crew...?

Very good eye!  Yeah, they were pulled from my in progress Fujimi kit.

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on January 20, 2011, 12:38:50 PM
Very nice! Great display! cool banking angle especially with the crew looking around  :cheers:

Yeah, I was partially inspired by both pictures of Lakenheath F-15Es, and VF-101 F-14s at airshows.

GTX

:thumbsup: very nice display stand too.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

flappydaffy

pedrospe

that is a great f-15 model, i like the detailed cockpit with the pilots inside.

best regards

Pedro

Keith Diamond

Thanks guys!

Quote from: GTX on January 21, 2011, 12:45:54 AM

I forgot to mention.  The F-15 comes right off the display stand easily via magnets.  So, it'll be easy to move and transport in the future.

tc2324

74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Tophe

F-15 Eagle in the Navy?! :unsure: Aren't you scared to be condemned for accute heresy? :wacko: Top-gun enthusiasts may destroy your (beautiful) model with hate... :angry:
In another World maybe... :-\ What-if we were in a World of Peace and Love? Well, there would be no Eagle fighter... Ahem. ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Keith Diamond

GTX

Quote from: Keith Diamond on January 23, 2011, 02:19:47 PM
Thanks guys!

Quote from: GTX on January 21, 2011, 12:45:54 AM

I forgot to mention.  The F-15 comes right off the display stand easily via magnets.  So, it'll be easy to move and transport in the future.

Details please?

Regards,

Greg

Keith Diamond

Sure...

I used Neodymium (I'm SURE the spelling is wrong) magnets for the job.  I put two cylindrical magnets in the main gear bays and cemented the doors over them.  It's kinda hard to see, but in the third picture you can kinda see a metal screw plate attached to the acrylic rod.  If you'll notice, the screw plate goes right over both main gear doors, and that's where they attach.

I got the idea from a modeler, MarkW, who posts at both ARC and Z-5.  I tried this on my earlier F-111 build, but it didn't work.  I also put small disk magnets in the wheels of my earlier A-7I build to attach it to the base.  The A-7 wheel magnets were nice because it didn't permanently fix the gear to the base, but it provided the right amount of attachment.  So, I"ve had mixed success using magnets in my models so far.

GTX

Thanks.

I just noticed the different engines too. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Greg