Started by John Howling Mouse, May 22, 2004, 01:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ollie

Silly qestion Barry!!!

RCAF all the way!!!!

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  

nev

Baz, that would look SWEET! in pristine NMF with colour CDN roundels  :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

lancer

Definately go for pristine RCAF . Be a shame to mess up such a nice finish.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

WeeJimmy

I second that commotion :)

The silver RCAF all the way.  Your cockpit and that silver finish...   I 'm so impressed :wub:

Captain Canada

I dunno....I've already done an RCAF example ( although not a t-tail ! :wub: ) and it just looks like a plain-old Sabre..........although it's the nicest dog in town, with those big, leafy roundels !

So, having said that, I'd go with the heavy weathering idea.....sounds too real, and I love the 'beat up' look. But I'd do it as a typical cash-strapped RCAF example, maybe in Germany !

Sweet.........
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gary

Hey Baz,
two questions to expose my ignorance...

Salt Water Solution???

and where can I get this Krylon primer that hides stuff? My silver finishes suck.
Getting back into modeling

Ollie

Here's a link to the salt water thingie : Salting

And go at Canadian Tire or Home Depot etc...  to find the primer.

If you can't find it there, go to any auto part and ask for grey sandable primer.

That should do it.

B)  

Captain Canada

Hey Gary,

Tremcald Aluminum works pretty good as a natural metal finish......I've always had pretty good results with it...and no clean-up !

Take a look back a page or two, there's my RCAF Sabredog, straight from the spray bomb.

And thanks for the salty link, Ollie ! Great idea !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nev

Ignore Todd, go with the NMF!
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

John Howling Mouse

Looked up on a shelf and saw this baby sitting there, patiently awaiting some attention (nearly completely forgot about this one----it's been almost exactly one year!).

In the end (i.e. yesterday), I chose to go with the bare metal finish in RCAF markings for the '50's.

Masked it up and painted some red flash highlights.  I *think* I had painted this in a spraycan silver (likely an oil or enamel-based product) and I *think* I had clearcoated it in Future (and acrylic product but one that seems to adhere to virtually any basecoat).  So, I figured I should not have problems with incompatability----forgetting completely that a good gloss coat gives a new coat of paint almost no "teeth" onto which to grip...

So, first shot is just the tape up and initial red airbrushed Testors Acryl in "Chevy Engine Red."  Everything looks relatively kosher, yes?

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

But check out the close up!  Now, normally, I'd be just as irate as the next guy and if it wasn't for all the scratchbuilding I did to turn this beastie into a T-tail, it would be airborne in a whole unplanned kind of way.

Initially, though, my original plans for this plane was for it to have been one of those heavily weathered jobs you get in developing countries which really cannot afford to have an airforce, nonetheless starve enough of their own people anyhow in order to make it so.

I could probably never get this natural effect of weathering no matter how hard I tried so I'm really considering going back to plan "A."

Problem is, I'd still like to give the red bits a second shot with the airbrush and I'm afraid the weathered effect might be ruined!

I guess I would then revert to plan "B" and have the pristine RCAF in nmf.

Confused?  Me too!   :wacko:

John Howling Mouse

So, if this weathering is retained after the next shot of red, I'd have to figure out some way of being able to paint the multi-tone camo around the red parts without pulling it off with masking tape.  I have a feeling the oddball Testors semi-acrylic paint's grip on the clear coat beneath is very tentative at best.  Maybe if I clearcoat the red once it's dry to protect it????

I mean, just look at the effect----they say that in art some of the best effects are mistakes.

Ollie

Leave it as such Barry...

Mask over and do the rest!

Splendid!

:wub:  

Supertom

Well Barry, hate to say it, but it looks like you overthinned the Acryl.  Being a long time Acryl user myself, I'd suggest you use 1/2 less thinner and mist it on in light coats, with 3-5 minutes in between.  Though it does have that cool weathered effect....
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Jeffry Fontaine

Barry, this has certainly turned into a very long term project for you.  I must commend you for your efforts with this model, especially after placing it on the shelf to sit for such a long time and still being able to pick up right where you left off to achieve the fantastic looking results with the red over silver that you are now displaying for us.  Keep it up and please do make it an RCAF bird fresh out of the paint booth. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg