Vehicles with a Hang-over

Started by raafif, January 22, 2011, 04:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

This one is a bit more subtle - the M114 Recce vehicle.  The overhang at the front meant it couldn't climb easily out of rice paddies and over the bunds (mounds) which seperated them.  The result was that the much larger M113 was a more maneouvrable vehicle and saw considerably more use in Vietnam.  The M114 hung on in the USA and Europe for a while long but it was only about 10 years after its introduction before it was withdrawn from service.

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kitnut617

Any modern farm tractor (the big ones) have serious overhang.  Around where I am, they trundle up and down road past our place regularly, right now they're being used to move snow so the energy companies can get to do their well inspections
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

raafif

there was a "double-tractor" -- two farm tractors (wheeled) joined together with the second engine waaaay out front of the front wheels -- must find a pic of it (think it's on my hard-drive somewhere).
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

RotorheadTX

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

raafif

here's an articulated aircraft-tug of the Russian AF ... unfortunately the front of the cab is cut off the photo.

a yard-tug for semi-trailers shipped by rail ...

& a walking truck with front engine-overhang -- wouldn't this vehicle make a good steam-punk tank ??

raafif

and a 5-minute quickie from my paint-box ...

anthonyp

Quote from: scooter on January 26, 2011, 04:48:36 PM

Level 1 Uparmored FMTVs

I saw one of these on the road last week.  Our GTS division does build some ugly, TIE Fighter based trucks.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Weaver

Quick'n'dirty of something I've been considering as a Patchwork World artillery tractor:

It probably wouldn't use the M3 track system as shown though, since the whole reason the bodies will be spare is because the tracks are being nicked for other things.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Stargazer

In the 1960s, Russia started producing the "ZIL-" series of amphibian cranes. Quite unique vehicles that have a remarkable overhang (due to the fact that the frame was also a boat hull). Here is a series of photos taken from this all-Russian language page:

http://www.spectechnika.com/ru/filling/y-2010.n-3.oid-129.html

What do you think? They're pretty cool eh?  :thumbsup:

chrisonord

Yep I am liking those, some of those in 1/72nd scale would be nice.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

rickshaw

They were designed to support the space program, allowing recovery of Cosmonauts and space capsules no matter what the terrain was - important in Central Asia.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

raafif

Ah, so that's how they transported that Screwy Vehicle over distances !