The worst box art

Started by philp, January 23, 2011, 04:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

That Airfix Hudson box (and others like it) inspired me and many others of my age to add battle damage to our models with the aid of a hot sewing needle  ;D . Like the six pounder and carrier as well. (to me it was a Bren Carrier ). Kids were encouraged to make them, play with them,give the remains an honourable burial and do it all again the following Saturday  :thumbsup:

I know it's naive but models were aimed at kids then and I for one like it. Far better then the stylised boxart we saw in the 70/80/90's from some companies IMHO
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

I guess it was also of it's time, early box art wasn't quite so crisp because the printing technology wasn't quite up to it.  As technology improved, so did packaging.  Some of the early box art was dodgy by todays standards, but cutting edge in it's day!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 09, 2011, 07:21:00 AM
That Airfix Hudson box (and others like it) inspired me and many others of my age to add battle damage to our models with the aid of a hot sewing needle  ;D . Like the six pounder and carrier as well. (to me it was a Bren Carrier ). Kids were encouraged to make them, play with them,give the remains an honourable burial and do it all again the following Saturday  :thumbsup:

I know it's naive but models were aimed at kids then and I for one like it. Far better then the stylised boxart we saw in the 70/80/90's from some companies IMHO

Spot on! :thumbsup:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Weaver

Rarity spotted on ebay:

Damn funny looking Fokker F-27!
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

messmeister

I always liked the Airfix boxes from the 80's with the completed model as with the Hasegawa ones with the model on the side. It always showed me that it could be completed and also gave me inspiration. This was before the internet so unless you knew people who built kits (I Didn't) you didn't get to see too many completed kits asides from the occasional catalogue. I also like Italeris idea of showing the colour scheme options on the back of the box in colour, I find that handy except for when they get it slightly wrong.

Or like in the case of one their Tonka boxes, the kits comes with the option of RAF, Italian and Luftwaffe so they chose to show the RAF and Italian ones which have the same colour scheme instead of the Luftwaffe one which is different! :banghead:

rickshaw

Quote from: Weaver on March 05, 2011, 05:56:34 PM
Rarity spotted on ebay:

Interesting.  Be worth getting if it actually looked like that.  Drive the JMNs crazy.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Nah, found a built up one on the web - it's not a bad model, just an odd 1/105th scale. made by Coma in Italy, and expensively collectable.... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

That's gotta be the coolest looking F-27 ever !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

Be tempting to just print up a box with that image then convert an Airfix F-27 to that shape and try to pass it off as OOB.... :wacko:

- Indiana Jones

JayBee

Quote from: Weaver on March 06, 2011, 03:34:46 AM
Be tempting to just print up a box with that image then convert an Airfix F-27 to that shape and try to pass it off as OOB.... :wacko:

LOL! :thumbsup:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Right up Tophe's street, that F-27!

The port engine is mounted so far outboard the Captain must have his left leg fully extended most of the time!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: The Rat on February 08, 2011, 04:28:59 PM
Take a look at the size of the pilot in this one. Either he's 'vertically challenged' or the Sabre is a LOT bigger than I remember.

They have put a 1/72nd scale pilot in a 1/48th scale plane :rolleyes: :lol:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Weaver

LOL - If I ever get around to building Jet Girl's plane, it'll probably have to be a 1/48th NA Fury with a 1/144th pilot!

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: Weaver on March 05, 2011, 05:56:34 PM
Rarity spotted on ebay:

Only went for a tenner - should have bid on it!

- Indiana Jones