The worst box art

Started by philp, January 23, 2011, 04:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loupgarou

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 09, 2019, 04:59:29 AM
Mind you, the TBD-1 Devastator looks pretty "wrong" anyway!

First image looks to be an almost perfect match to the box art.

I would say it has been used to produce the boxart. Identical indeed, apart from the retracted undercarriage.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

TheChronicOne

That's it!!  Just like it!! Still looks strange to me and can't quit figure it out.  :unsure:
-Sprues McDuck-

martinbayer

Perhaps part of the issue is that a lot (or probably even most) of all box art is based on actual photographic pictures taken from a relatively short distance, where distortions based on perspective have a larger impact and result in more 'dramatic' renderings, as opposed to shots taken from a farther distance with a lens having a longer focal length (a.k.a. 'telephoto' for boomers like me) that result in a rendering that is much closer to a purely isometric view, which may form the basis for some of the box art discussed here (and perhaps especially for some new Russian or Chinese developments that are at first only observed and captured from afar) - while that's purely speculation, it reminds me of the fact that one of the very first F-117 model kits (I can't recall of which manufacturer though) got the wing and fore-body sweep significantly wrong, possibly for the same reason.

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

KiwiZac

Quote from: martinbayer on November 09, 2019, 10:29:24 PM
while that's purely speculation, it reminds me of the fact that one of the very first F-117 model kits (I can't recall of which manufacturer though) got the wing and fore-body sweep significantly wrong, possibly for the same reason.

Martin
There are several models and toys - some still, somehow, sold to this day - with the incorrect sweep and guestimated exhausts. Even the major periodicals and some books published drawings like that based on the original, intentionally blurry and poorly-lit photo released by the USAF.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

NARSES2

The Devastator just looks odd in real life to me. I think the engine cowling looks a tad small in comparison to the fuselage and then the angle the torpedo is carried at just sets it off ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 12, 2019, 06:41:16 AM
The Devastator just looks odd in real life to me. I think the engine cowling looks a tad small in comparison to the fuselage and then the angle the torpedo is carried at just sets it off ?

Always looked odd to me as well. One of those aircraft with lines distinct enough to be memorable, but not for any good reason.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Rheged

I suggest that in this case, the box art could well be accurate, it's the aircraft itself that is wrong!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 12, 2019, 06:41:16 AM

I've always thought the Devastator as being of its time and rather pretty.  If you disagree then give yourself a large dose of Blackburn Skua/Roc pictures!
Maybe I was swayed as a child by the Airfix box art when they first released their TBD kit.

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Snowtrooper

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with the Devastator...

...as long as it's not carrying the torpedo in that weird and ugly angle, protruding from the belly of the plane. Yes, it was probably that way due to ground clearance and centre of gravity, but it still does not make it any more palatable.

zenrat

It's like it's aroused...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: Snowtrooper on November 13, 2019, 01:49:06 AM
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with the Devastator...

...as long as it's not carrying the torpedo in that weird and ugly angle, protruding from the belly of the plane. Yes, it was probably that way due to ground clearance and centre of gravity, but it still does not make it any more palatable.

I agree and it can certainly carry  that pre-War USN colour scheme off well  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

loupgarou

Quote from: zenrat on November 13, 2019, 01:50:41 AM

I hope you're NOT thinking of a special paint scheme... :banghead:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

jcf

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

zenrat

Quote from: loupgarou on November 13, 2019, 11:48:08 AM
Quote from: zenrat on November 13, 2019, 01:50:41 AM

I hope you're NOT thinking of a special paint scheme... :banghead:

Torpedo in dog d**k pink?    :wacko:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..