The worst box art

Started by philp, January 23, 2011, 04:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raafif

Well, that Ruski helo DOES look like the boxart !  Those early Russian aircraft were Blobby & ugly.

Looking at that Buccaner boxart again ... is that a single-seater version ??  Looks like they put a Seavixen canopy on it !
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on January 26, 2011, 09:17:28 AM
Here's another idea: get two examples of a kit that's split down the middle and glue two right-hand halves together as an "accurate" representation of those split half-and-half top-and-bottom planform views you get in profiles and diagrams.

Didn't the Italian AF do something similar with a real F.104 ? One side was in a special commemorative scheme and the other in standard camoflage ? Or is that another old wives tale ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ChrisF

Close.. One side was german markings and one was italian.. Due to being given as a gift from one to the other

(I forget which)  :)

NARSES2

Thanks for clearing that up
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Just to take the thread further off topic - sorry moderators - But no Chris it isn't an old wives tale or urban myth. there was a 50/50 scheme and here it is:

http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=2018

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

ChrisF

Actually thats a different one from the one ive seen... I saw one in a copy of "Air Modeller" there was a walkaround from (I believe) a italian museum... It was a gift from the germans hence the twin nationality scheme...

(As i explained earlier if may have been the other way around im not certain)

Looks like 50/50 schemes are popular on starfighters...

Maverick

Funnily enough, I built an Airfix F-104 back in the day in half RCAF (red ensign) markings and half Luftwaffe markings since I couldn't decide which scheme I liked the most.  And there was me as a youngster thinking I was being unique!

Regards,

Mav

Mossie

Quote from: raafif on January 26, 2011, 03:41:24 PM
Well, that Ruski helo DOES look like the boxart !  Those early Russian aircraft were Blobby & ugly.

Looking at that Buccaner boxart again ... is that a single-seater version ??  Looks like they put a Seavixen canopy on it !

Well, it's an approximation of a Ka-15.  If you squint enough it looks like one!
http://www.aviastar.org/helicopters_eng/ka-15.php
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

Two contenders from my stash (sent to me by a friend who found them in thrift store for 50 cents a piece).

chrisonord

I kind of like that Mig-9 UTI, it looks very close support tank buster like.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

The Rat

VEB Plasticart Mil-4

And this one from an unknown Russian company is supposed to be a MiG 19

The picture on the instruction sheet is even worse

They make the old Testors/Hawk Swift look like Roy Cross in comparison

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Litvyak

Quote from: The Rat on January 27, 2011, 05:10:39 PM
VEB Plasticart Mil-4

Eeee, I remember this!! :D The first model I ever got.

And this one from an unknown Russian company is supposed to be a MiG 19

The picture on the instruction sheet is even worse

This is a Soviet-era model (see the RSFSR in the fine print there).

"We wish you success, children!" ;D
C-A-NZ-UK!

anthonyp

Surprised no one brought up this terrible oldie with the horribly deformed Forrestal class ship in the background (I've got this in the stash, but it was faster to find it online).

I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 27, 2011, 04:55:19 PM
Two contenders from my stash (sent to me by a friend who found them in thrift store for 50 cents a piece).

Oh yes, I had one of those Karas kits, sent 'in trade' from a buddy in the then Czechoslovakia many years ago. It took me 20 years to get rid of it, and I had to PAY the 'buyer' to take it!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit