The worst box art

Started by philp, January 23, 2011, 04:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maverick

Possibly so Simon.  I can guess the marketing 'gurus' (term used very loosely) decided that it was more of an 'action' shot but had no idea about the rail or the position that a 'wider would have a launch like P.1127 mentioned.

Regards,

Mav

rickshaw

Quote from: Maverick on January 31, 2011, 05:46:08 PM
Possibly so Simon.  I can guess the marketing 'gurus' (term used very loosely) decided that it was more of an 'action' shot but had no idea about the rail or the position that a 'wider would have a launch like P.1127 mentioned.

Regards,

Mav

I'd actually put it down to the ignorance of the graphic artist who prepared the picture montage which formed the basis for the box top.  They should have done some research and known better.  Marketing types are, by definition, ignorant sods who don't care about such "minor details".  ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mossie

Ahhh, you can get too hung up about these things, could be a simple mistake.  Artist penned the drawing, happy with the work until someone points at the pylon.  By which time it's too late, there's deadlines to meet & the printing press is running, warts an all.  How many times have we made a model to realise we've missed something obvious?

There's a statue in Hull of King William III, (known as King Billy) riding a horse.  The sculptor did his homework, there's a scale model in Wilberforce House showing everything in place.  When the full scale statue was revealed, it was missing the stirrups, to much gasping & pointing.  The guy killed himself.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on January 31, 2011, 04:05:14 AM
Scroll about half way down on this page on Military Photo's, there's a B&W photo of a GR.3 with AIM-9G's.  Lots of other pics of Ascension Island on a war footing too, including a Vulcan with a camouflaged Shrike.
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?107232-Falklands-25/page94

Mossie, that's a great link, thanks so much. I can see I'll be scrolling up and down through that thread for ever.  ;D

One of the pics surely makes you realise quite how big a C-5 is, it dwarfs the Victor K2 in the foreground. And until I saw those piccies I didn't know the RAF had deployed Phantoms down to Acension, and I've got all the books about the conflict too, perhaps I missed a paragraph or five!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

I've the single seat version of the MiG 9 upthread.  Horrible kit which I think is damn near unbuildable.  The parts for the 2 seater are in it but not the canopy!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Mossie

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 01, 2011, 03:57:24 AM
Mossie, that's a great link, thanks so much. I can see I'll be scrolling up and down through that thread for ever.  ;D

One of the pics surely makes you realise quite how big a C-5 is, it dwarfs the Victor K2 in the foreground. And until I saw those piccies I didn't know the RAF had deployed Phantoms down to Acension, and I've got all the books about the conflict too, perhaps I missed a paragraph or five!  ;D

Your welcome Kit!  I knew I'd seen pics of GR.3's with 'winders but srtuggled to find pics, a bit of digging brought this up.  The page in particular is excellent, but the whole thread has a lot of info in it and will take a good chunk of time to go through!  See what you mean about the Victor!  Makes me glad I don't have a 1/72 C-5 in the stash....
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Mossie

Sheeeesh!!!!  :o I'd have to move house.

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McGreig

Quote from: Mossie on February 01, 2011, 02:24:00 AM
How many times have we made a model to realise we've missed something obvious?

There's a statue in Hull of King William III, (known as King Billy) riding a horse.  The sculptor did his homework, there's a scale model in Wilberforce House showing everything in place.  When the full scale statue was revealed, it was missing the stirrups, to much gasping & pointing.  The guy killed himself.

Errrhhhmmm - - - not exactly. Bit of an urban myth.

I've certainly missed obvious things - I once sprayed matt varnish over an Airfix Ka-25, forgetting that I'd left the cabin doors off and ended up with the inside of the windscreen nicely opaque :rolleyes: - but the sculptor of King William is innocent on all charges.

The statue shows King William as a Roman Emperor and the Romans didn't use stirrups. It was sculpted by Peter Scheemakers, who was Flemish and a very popular sculptor in Eighteenth Century Britain. The statue was unveiled in 1734 and Scheemakers didn't die until 1781.

Mossie

Liberty taking I know, but it was demonstrating a point. I can't remember the full story, the currators at Wiberfoce House explained it to me some years ago.  I think there was a sucidide attempt, or something, due to public reaction?  Memories rusty.

McGreig

And now, a return to normal programming: the Trumpeter Y-5, alias An-2.

This is one of my personal favourites because the almost equal span wings, larger than normal engine cowling and general chunkiness make it look like a smaller, faster version of the An-2 which I'm quite tempted to try to build (of course you have to ignore the suspiciously small propellor diameter! :rolleyes:).

And, re King William, http://paranorm-hull.webs.com/urbanlegends.htm Hull seems to be a more interesting place than I'd given it credit for - - - -

chrisonord

Not exactly rubbish in the picture department, but a bit misleading all the same. I got one of these off Ebay as it was very cheap (there is always a reason isn't there  :rolleyes:) A Mig fighter, SU-7.........Hmmm? well go on which one is it :-\
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Mossie

Quote from: McGreig on February 01, 2011, 01:45:59 PM
And, re King William, http://paranorm-hull.webs.com/urbanlegends.htm Hull seems to be a more interesting place than I'd given it credit for - - - -

Hmm, I think it's one that the curators perpetuate then!  Thanks for that.  Got to admit, I've not heard of several of those myths & could add a few extra of my own.  As to Hull being more interesting, if your willing to scratch the surface, there's alot more history than you'd think & it was once a wealthy town with all the income from fishing & whaling.  I'll leave it there as I'm thread hijacking!

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on February 01, 2011, 02:38:17 PM
As to Hull being more interesting, if your willing to scratch the surface, there's alot more history than you'd think & it was once a wealthy town with all the income from fishing & whaling.  I'll leave it there as I'm thread hijacking!

But thread hijacking is what we are good at Mossie  ;D Must admit I found Hull an extremely "interesting" place on a couple of visits there. Once for footie and once on business. The two visits very well define both ends of the definition of "interesting"  ;D :rolleyes

Quote from: McGreig on February 01, 2011, 01:45:59 PM
And now, a return to normal programming: the Trumpeter Y-5, alias An-2.

This is one of my personal favourites because the almost equal span wings, larger than normal engine cowling and general chunkiness make it look like a smaller, faster version of the An-2 which I'm quite tempted to try to build (of course you have to ignore the suspiciously small propellor diameter! :rolleyes:).

Be interesting to see
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.