Previous topic - Next topic

Alvis 3.14159

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 01, 2012, 07:35:15 PM
I s'pose if you can't build 'em, you can collect 'em. :-\

Truth!

Alvis 3.1

Alvis 3.14159

Quote from: The Rat on April 01, 2012, 07:36:26 PM
Quote from: Alvis 3.14159 on April 01, 2012, 07:28:40 PMCollectors want those? Cripes! They're...crap!Alvis 3.1

Really? If they're pantographed from the Airfix job they shouldn't be all that bad. At least, the fuselage and wings should be pretty good, I suppose teeny bits like props and such would be less satisfactory. But never having seen one I can't say for sure.

I don't know where the rumours of their kits being pantographed from Airfix came from, as the DC-3s I have don't break down in the same ways. Fit is at best, speculative. I'll see if they can be recovered from the Bashment O' Doom one day.

Alvis 3.1

Rheged

Quote from: CANSO on March 25, 2012, 01:48:50 PM
Quote from: Nick on March 25, 2012, 10:09:50 AMThat, sir, is the Avro Shackleton which was flown by the RAF ...
http://www.avroshackleton.com/
Nick, thanks for the explanation. Sorry, if I hurt your feelings about this plane - I didn't mean it seriously!
And shame on me :banghead:  :banghead:- I've seen the old guy "Shacky" many times, but not from near perspective maybe  :unsure:... And never "live"...
Mea maxima culpa!

I'm told by an elderly mariner that if you'd lost all power 500 miles west of St Kilda, the Shackleton was the most gorgeous sight in the world.

Remember that it was described as rather like an old bull elephant......grey and wrinkly on the outside, dark and smelly inside, but it could still be vicious if provoked.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

The Wooksta!

I remember in the late 80s, there'd be one flying over my house every other day.  You'd hear the growl miles off, rush for the binoculars and watch is pass overhead.  Fabulous.

Last one I saw was in 1991 at an air show at RAF Church Fenton.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

CANSO

Over the weekend I started a search trough my stash of inbuilt kits (138 of them and counting  :unsure: ) and found this wonder of the nature :wacko::

Is it a bird, is it a plane, is it a...razorblade?
The age restrictions are funny, but nothing compares to the warning about the dangers of plastic modelling: "Functional (WTF :unsure:)sharp points and edges! Danger of cuts, abrasions and similar injuries." OMG. :rolleyes: And of course: "Colors and shapes may vary". I didn't check what's in the box - must buy steel gloves first.

The Rat

Quote from: CANSO on April 02, 2012, 10:30:13 AM

And look at the arrangement of those vertical stabilisers!  :blink:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

philp

I love the markings.  Always thought the stars on the wings should be set right to see from the front.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

raafif

Quote from: Weaver on March 26, 2012, 04:13:57 AM
Quote from: CANSO on March 25, 2012, 09:51:35 AM
Quote from: Weaver on March 24, 2012, 06:05:33 PM
...Then, because the single-pilot job obviously wasn't fat and ugly enough, they produced a side-by-side two-pilot trainer version:
Wow!!! :o Blackburn Blackburn is such a futuristic design - take the wings, the empennage and the wheels away, delete the propeller, add a one-piece bubble canopy (or two) and the thing becomes some kind of an antigrav racer-glider-scooter from the XXII century. And two ultra-laser-plasma-antimatter-whatever guns (sidemounted) will make the military model.
BTW What exactly is the ugly creature (coded "red C") with a tail turret (or maybe Star wars-guns) mounted in the nose section?

LOL - I think what it needs is to take the wings and tailplanes away and replace them with a small airship envelope: a lumpy, bent one with random ropes and bits of net around it....

Kit soon available !! ;D

you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

NARSES2

I'm assuming the vent/funnel above the forward side gun is the exhaust for the cooker ?  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

At almost £30 that's a bargain! I've been looking for a 1/72 airship kit for years.  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

raafif

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 06, 2012, 01:38:33 AM
I'm assuming the vent/funnel above the forward side gun is the exhaust for the cooker ?  ;D

guess so, it's on the real aircraft

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 06, 2012, 01:56:03 AM
At almost £30 that's a bargain! I've been looking for a 1/72 airship kit for years.  ;D :lol:

you may want to wait for the MK.II version, Kit -- rigidly attached fuselage + four Lycoming engines !!!

you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

rickshaw

I'm assuming the vent/funnel above the forward side gun is the exhaust for the cooker ?  ;D

On the RL Shackleton its an ESM antenna, Chris.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Captain Canada

Used to get those Hobby Model kits at the dollar store here. USS Enterprise ( 1200 scale maybe ? ) Apache, Nighthawk, and the best of them all was the Tomcat ! Not bad for only a buck !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

Raafif - love the Shack-Bag: that's hilarious!  :thumbsup: ;D The pylon of your Mk.II version reminds me of the starhip Enterprise for some reason: now that could be funny too: a Shack-based starship.... ;D

What I actually meant in my original comment was that the Blackburn Blackburn needed a lumpy airship envelope to make it "perfect".... ;)

Re the Hobby Model kits, I've picked up a few from ebay, strictly as spares box fodder. They all have artwork to an equal standard... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on April 06, 2012, 05:40:46 PM

On the RL Shackleton its an ESM antenna, Chris.

Danke  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.