Whifs found on deviantART

Started by Stargazer, January 25, 2011, 08:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowtrooper

Quote from: Pellson on August 30, 2021, 06:07:30 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 29, 2021, 12:30:23 PM
As Moritz says, the F-100 would have been a disaster for the Luftwaffe and would have needed to be replaced in very short order, meanwhile sucking up monies better spent on an aircraft more suited to the intended role - low-level tactical nuclear strike.
While I by and large agree with your statements, I have to say that both the French and the Danes used their Huns for a long time and with pretty good results, judging from exercise reports. Had the NATO strategy been less obsessed with nukes and more with how to fight a practical war, then I suppose the F-100 could have been a formidable strike and CAS aircraft in its own right, as it was in Vietnam. And from my experience with German military during the Cold War, they were very very reluctant to let go of even an inch of their country if not forced away from it. So a few Jagdbombergeschwadern of Huns could very well have done.

That, however, does not take away the good idea of instead buying a radar equipped multi role fighter instead of the much more basic Hun.

Somewhere, I found numbers and even units for the Luftwaffe planned Hun force. Leave me to it for a bit, and I'll see..
F-104 was "suited" to the low-level tactical nuke role by accident (high wing loading made flight very stable), although one has to keep in mind what "suited" meant - flying straight line at high speed with only modest changes in pitch, which was the flight profile for nuclear delivery (whether "toss" bombing or laydown). This made sense as far as WW3 was thought to be a total nuclear war from the start.

When it was realized that a conventional WW3 might be the more likely case, the Starfighter was less than ideal. Conventional CAS role would have required dodging SAM's and flak while doing repeated passes trying to find small targets which would then have to be bombed or hit with missiles or gunfire (with immediate post-target evasive manoeuvres). For this, the 104 had limited payload and high stall speed, high wing loading meant limited manoeuvrability, and it had vicious high-alpha and stall characteristics (including uncontrolled pitch-up and "deep stall" due to the T-tail). Granted, the G model did have INS for navigation and radar for terrain following/avoidance and target designation, but for conventional CAS the F-100 had much better flying characteristics and twice the payload so was a much better fit. The radar was of course required for the anti-shipping role of Marinenflieger Starfighters, but that is not to say that another aircraft would not have been much better in that role too (say, Buccaneer).

History speaks for itself, the "Hun" went to 'Nam in 61 and soldiered on in CAS role until 71 and was even modified for Wild Weasel role, the 104 served in 65-67 for two short deployments.

Old Wombat

Quote from: perttime on August 31, 2021, 01:56:59 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on August 31, 2021, 12:48:38 AM
No need, just pull the trigger & you're bound to hit somewhere, you just need to watch the cannon shells & walk them onto whichever part of the target you wish to hit. ;D
How many seconds worth of shells do you have?

Possibly not enough but, if you're flying a Mosquito FB.?? you could always fire the .303's (in bursts) to find your mark then use the cannon. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 31, 2021, 02:39:33 AM
No need, just pull the trigger & you're bound to hit somewhere, you just need to watch the cannon shells & walk them onto whichever part of the target you wish to hit. ;D

Possibly not enough but, if you're flying a Mosquito FB.?? you could always fire the .303's (in bursts) to find your mark then use the cannon. ;)

There's probly enough space to land the Mossie on the wing, hop out, plant a demo charge, and take off again before you're spotted.

Or just fly over it and bomb it - big enough target.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

jcf

The Danes had 72 F-100s of various sorts, they crashed 35 of them. The USAF 889 destroyed with 324 pilot fatalities. Any notion that a Soviet invasion of Western Europe would lead to a situation where CAS would be required was delusional, the war wouldn't have lasted that long. Also the F-100's effectiveness in Vietnam is pretty much meaningless in relation to a NATO vs. Warsaw Pact conflict, the missions and conditions in the latter would not have been the same as what was encountered supporting ground forces in South Vietnam, support which rarely encounter opposing fighters. There were a few air-to-air encounters while attacking targets in North Vietnam, but nothing like the opposition they'd encounter in a war in Europe.

tahsin

Some Canadian pilot commanding an F-104 squadron in Europe was of the opinion that they had ample Stealth for the time, for the mission. Low RCS values combined with low altitude/high speed and possibly the rotating radar dishes of the time meant the engagement chances for the air defences would be low. A win for the Starfighter in the desired nuke mission. For the Super Sabre to win the face off in the conventional style it would need to be upgraded with things unlikely to be available at the time. Though one can also record of the guy who mentioned that the new British Tempest had led to a certain British magazine team to find fault with godlike Kelly's P-38 to suggest the Lockheed Martin Company was not infallible. His reward was of course termination with prejudice. Alas he might have got to inspire the magazine team to teach us what was actually wrong with the 104. Which would really hurt the case for the 100.

tahsin

Quote from: scooter on August 23, 2021, 10:48:20 AM

<<LINK!>> for when the image token expires

Only information given:
Fictional Japan Navy type Zero Carrier Fighter/Reconnaissance (F/A9M1,codename "Zoe") and Fictional Japan Marine Corps Test-type Carrier Fighter Ki-1061 Hien II(FA-3F/R), 1/100 scale scratch built model.

Devianart used to be a place where you could browse the galleries in their entirity. Couldn't find the guy in Artstation but l think he must have done RAF Lightnings in that style. Maybe people can see his entire work as members of Deviantart?

Tophe

Yes I can see more pictures of this artist:

Many other shapes but without markings.
Or different pictures of the same above (from rear or in flight...), Japanese.
All pleasant, thanks.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

perttime

Quote from: tahsin on August 31, 2021, 05:28:09 PM

Devianart used to be a place where you could browse the galleries in their entirity. Couldn't find the guy in Artstation but l think he must have done RAF Lightnings in that style. Maybe people can see his entire work as members of Deviantart?
Try these:
https://www.deviantart.com/sparrow-s-a/gallery
https://www.deviantart.com/sparrow-s-a/gallery/all
https://www.deviantart.com/sparrow-s-a/gallery/73349640/fictional-fighter-aircraft

tahsin

Ah, my thanks to both. Including the neat trick of adding "all" after /gallery/... This Excalibur is indeed a busy plane with all those lines, isn't it?

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on August 31, 2021, 04:27:53 AM

There's probly enough space to land the Mossie on the wing, hop out, plant a demo charge, and take off again before you're spotted.

Who do you think you are, Flash Gordon?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Quote from: scooter on September 04, 2021, 09:00:22 AM
Quote from: zenrat on August 31, 2021, 04:27:53 AM

Who do you think you are, Flash Gordon?

As long as he's not Flesh Gordon  :angel: :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Closer to Flash Harry if you must know...
;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Ah, one of my favourite characters, and no it had nothing to do with the St Trinian's 6th Form uniform  :angel: *

* I was always amazed by how quickly St Trinians pupils grew up between their 4th and 6th years  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

St. Chamond Walker.

<<LINK!>> for when the image token expires.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

That actually works  :thumbsup:

St Chamond + legs looks very insect like. Another pair of legs and you could have a War Beetle ?