Whifs found on deviantART

Started by Stargazer, January 25, 2011, 08:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Dang it! It's really buildable too! Like I don't have enough on my plate these days!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 28, 2021, 06:06:34 AM
That actually works  :thumbsup:

St Chamond + legs looks very insect like. Another pair of legs and you could have a War Beetle ?

And it probably wouldn't bog down when the nose of the tank is on a downslope, like the original
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Old Wombat

St Chamond + legs looks very insect like. Another pair of legs and you could have a War Beetle ?

Nailed it! :thumbsup:

Or the illustrated version could be the War Wombat! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 29, 2021, 02:25:38 AM

Nailed it! :thumbsup:

Or the illustrated version could be the War Wombat! ;D

From what I've been told about Wombats that could make it a very dangerous creature indeed  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Quote from: scooter on September 28, 2021, 07:49:34 AM

And it probably wouldn't bog down when the nose of the tank is on a downslope, like the original

Yeah, it'd just bog-down the first time it hit soft ground.  ;D  :wacko:

zenrat

Slightly off topic, but the issue of walking machines and soft ground explains why no AT-ATs on Tatooine.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 09, 2021, 12:44:06 PM
Quote from: scooter on September 28, 2021, 07:49:34 AM

Yeah, it'd just bog-down the first time it hit soft ground.  ;D  :wacko:

Snow shoes!  :thumbsup:

Seriously, though, has anyone tried calculating the ground pressure of the various sci-fi walkers? AT-ATs, AT-STs, Gundams, Labors, Mechs, Landmates, the spider tank from GitS.....
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Nick

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on October 10, 2021, 09:22:26 AM

Seriously, though, has anyone tried calculating the ground pressure of the various sci-fi walkers? AT-ATs, AT-STs, Gundams, Labors, Mechs, Landmates, the spider tank from GitS.....

There's an idea for a Reddit thread if I were a Reddit user. That said, somebody has calculated the AT-AT to weigh 114 tons. The feet are roughly the size of an Snowspeeder which is about 5m square.

So: 25m2 x 4 = 100m2. Each foot is putting between 28 and 38 tonnes of pressure on the ground.
That means a very light PSI of 1.6 if all 4 feet are on the ground, and a 2.2PSI with 3 feet.

Feel free to check and correct my figures!  ;D

zenrat

Do AT-ATs only ever lift one foot at a time or do they trot, canter, and gallop as required?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Pellson

Quote from: Nick on October 11, 2021, 10:40:36 AM
Quote from: ChernayaAkula on October 10, 2021, 09:22:26 AM

There's an idea for a Reddit thread if I were a Reddit user. That said, somebody has calculated the AT-AT to weigh 114 tons. The feet are roughly the size of an Snowspeeder which is about 5m square.

So: 25m2 x 4 = 100m2. Each foot is putting between 28 and 38 tonnes of pressure on the ground.
That means a very light PSI of 1.6 if all 4 feet are on the ground, and a 2.2PSI with 3 feet.

Feel free to check and correct my figures!  ;D

I just love this!!  :wub:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

jcf

The psi is fairly meaningless in this situation as it's still 25% of the total weight on each
foot when stationary, shifting up to 33+% on each of the planted feet when one is raised,
the weight on each foot is concentrated in a circle roughly 5m in diameter, and when the
AT-AT is moving it's a dynamic load not a static load which adds in another set of factors
as the load path moves past center. Most critically the load path is never straight down,
and the vehicle has overhangs to the front and rear, especially the front, which make the
load path even worse.

An AT-AT isn't a tracked vehicle which spreads the load in a different fashion, a load that
doesn't shift position while in motion and is always straight down through the centre of
mass.

tahsin

I always regret having missed the days when Star Wars and Star Trek fans really duked it out, with higher numbers meaning advantage to own side... So, some guy somewhere, depending on leg thickness and various other issues, calculated the AT-AT to be something like 3000 tons. 3 zeros there. Misjudging the "compansators" the same set of people then went on calculate because of the way the Millennium Falcon reacted to a hit, a "flak" bolt from a turbolazer was the equivalent of 60 megatons. Making bigger guns to come at giga, tera and petaton range...

Old Wombat

Quote from: tahsin on October 12, 2021, 10:56:29 PM
... a "flak" bolt from a turbolazer was the equivalent of 60 megatons ...

Someone was on drugs! :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

tahsin

Extremely involved calculations l must say. Millennium Falcon running away from Death Star and gots hit and it shudders somewhat and they are discussing how much do photons weigh, or some other particles to give such a momentum... Some others go a much simpler route and take the example of a Stardestroyer that simply wipes out an astreoid. Actually cheating out in that case by assuming it was just an iceball frozen solid. Because if it was iron, the results would have to be higher. I think all of them were made during the time about the Attack of the Clones.

tahsin

DON'T believe a word of it and divide by billions and trilions where ever necessary but turns out the fun has been kept alive... 98 megatons is a maximum Star Trek can manage by blowing up your beautiful Cruiser in a suicide mode but AT-AT maximum firepower varies between 16 to 130 kilotons... As established by taking measurements from each frame where they destroy the shield generator on Hoth and it seems there are indeed bigger terms than a peta something...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nUKepmuPOMUiB7HPfq_j_eDfFIrtFIls90zafY-LGj8/mobilebasic

And it will be tortorously long as well...