WIP Helicopter fighter from the Grave Yard

Started by chrisonord, January 27, 2011, 01:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

After being inspired by the helicopter fighter thread, I dug a dead PAH-2 out of the bone Yard in the shed, along with a dead Dauphin and a few other non helicopter bits. The PAH-2 got its tail cut off as did the dead Dauphin, and the fan tail got transplanted onto the PAH-2.
The nose has a new Radar in it and a new set of stub wings stolen from a dead OV-10 Bronco suitably modified and stuck on the fuselage.
Weapons will be 4 or 6 AAM's 2 fixed .50's in one sponson and a fixed 30 mm cannon in the other sponson. The landing gear is scratch built and fixed in position. New tail wings will also be scratch built from card or suitable stuff from the dead models stash.
Cheers,
Chris.

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Tophe

Keep faith and this helicopter may live again... :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Army of One

I likee.......... :thumbsup:.........what you gonna call it....? AH1 Frankenchopper..?? awesome example of plastic recycling...!!!!!
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

pyro-manic

Looks good so far! What missiles are you going to give it? A few Sidewinders/ASRAAMs, or a whole heap of Stingers/Starstreaks?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

chrisonord

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 30, 2011, 10:43:27 AM
Looks good so far! What missiles are you going to give it? A few Sidewinders/ASRAAMs, or a whole heap of Stingers/Starstreaks?
I was thinking of putting 4 sidewinders on the stub wings, with 2 under fuselage pylons capable of carrying AMRAAM's. Although I could arm it with a pair of ASRAAM's  instead of a pair of sidewinders I suppose, I have done a bit more work to it now so I shall get some more pictures done of it.
Cheers,
Chris.

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: Army of One on January 30, 2011, 10:13:25 AM
awesome example of plastic recycling...!!!!!

Seriously! And it looks like it all fits like a glove  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

chrisonord

Well this thing is nearly finished now, and I would like to thank Zombolt for planting the seed for this build, as the bits would be still sat in the dead stuff box in the shed. I am not too happy with the canopy as it is in a bad state, and the other one is not much good either.
I just need to sort some decals for it and the AAM's and its done.

Cheers,
Chris.

ChernayaAkula

The nose radar, tricycle undercarriage and fixed guns give it a bit of Ka-50Sh touch. Very nice!  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Army of One

Coming along really well there.........looking forward to the finished article.......great paint scheme as well...... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Zombolt

Quote from: chrisonord on February 02, 2011, 03:41:15 PM
Well this thing is nearly finished now, and I would like to thank Zombolt for planting the seed for this build, as the bits would be still sat in the dead stuff box in the shed.
[awesome pics here]
Cheers,
Chris.
I'm just happy to see that other people thought it was a cool idea : D