Re: Which kit is better? Now A.W. Meteor...

Started by rickshaw, January 28, 2011, 05:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed S

Quote from: rickshaw on January 28, 2011, 08:49:56 PM
I assume the major visible difference between a F-5B and a F-5F was the nose shape?

The engines were more powerful, meaning slightly different exhausts.  The wing LERX were quite different, larger on the F.  Also, IIRC, the F was overall longer than the B.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

rickshaw

Interestingly, I've found this review - http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/mod/us/trumpf5epreview.htm

Claims Trumpeter made an F-5E kit but I can't find any other reference to it anywhere.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Nigel Bunker

F-5B is about the same length as an F-5A/E but an F-5F is longer - it has basically had an extra cockpit fitted befing the normal cockpit, and the fuselage stretched to accomodate it.

I hope this helps - i cobbled it together from the net. In descending order F-5A, F-5B,F-5E, F-5F

Life's too short to apply all the stencils

rickshaw

Thanks thats a great help!  I presume they are all to the same scale?

PR19_Kit

Another one of those aircraft where the 2-seater looks miles better than the single seater.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

P1127

Quote from: rickshaw on January 28, 2011, 08:49:56 PM
I assume the major visible difference between a F-5B and a F-5F was the nose shape?

Bit more than just the shape - the 'B' put the second canopy behind the pilot position of the original F-5A, the F-5F saw the forward fuselage extended to fit the second seat. The differences between the F-5A and E are considerable as well.

If you want to do a T-38 from an F-5B, the main changes are to the intake shape, the underfuselage (Flat on the T-38, bulged around the u/c bays on the F-5) and the undercarraige and wheels. I have an article on how to do it from FSM years ago.
It's not an effing  jump jet.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: rickshaw on January 29, 2011, 12:05:27 AM
Interestingly, I've found this review - http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/mod/us/trumpf5epreview.htm

Claims Trumpeter made an F-5E kit but I can't find any other reference to it anywhere.

Oh, the kit is real all right. A friend of mine has got one, but the canopy was a "short shot". The decals are better dumped as well. But the rest isn't too bad.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

rickshaw

Now, to the Sukhoi Su11.

Which is better?

Leoman vacuform?
Leoman Resin?
Leoman short-run injection?
Amodel injected?

Are there any other candidates?

I assume that the Leoman ones are all variations on the same theme, with just the media changed.

Daryl J.

jcf

Quote from: Daryl J. on February 02, 2011, 09:30:15 PM
Who tooled KP's Su-11?

I believe the Su series were their own. While KP has re-boxed Heller, many of the Central/Eastern European subjects were their own work.

BTW have you hard that American Eagles are going out of business? The closing sale started January 31 and goes to April 9.

rickshaw

Who tooled KP's Su-11?

I wasn't aware they did one.  It was 1/72, as the others I mention are?  I know I didn't make it clear.

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on January 28, 2011, 05:38:48 PM

Oh, bugger.  Thats the one I've just bought two of, off Evilbay!  Oh, damn, caveat emptor.   I've read a couple of reviews of it and they seem to be OK.  One had an excellent set of pictures and there was no flaw in the canopy.  Perhaps you just got a bad one (fingers crossed)?

Well I got a bad two, but then they were together on the shelf in the shop so maybe they came from the same bad batch?

Best of luck.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

Quote from: rickshaw on February 03, 2011, 02:00:15 AM
Who tooled KP's Su-11?

I wasn't aware they did one.  It was 1/72, as the others I mention are?  I know I didn't make it clear.

Don't think they have, they did a Su-9 (same kit as Maquette?) that you could bash but it's probably easier to go with the others.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Quote from: rickshaw on February 02, 2011, 07:41:43 PM
Now, to the Sukhoi Su11.

Which is better?

Leoman vacuform?
Leoman Resin?
Leoman short-run injection?
Amodel injected?

Are there any other candidates?

I assume that the Leoman ones are all variations on the same theme, with just the media changed.

According to the PAK-20 book, the outfits that made the Su-11 were AAA Models, Cramer-Craft, Elliot and Leoman, all in 1/72 scale.  Looking through the KP listing, it doesn't show an Su-11, Su-9 and Su-22's yes ---  AAA Models later became Leoman.  Looking through A-Model listing doesn't show an Su-11, Su-15 and Su-26, yes.  The book has been known to be in error sometimes.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

frank2056

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 03, 2011, 06:39:03 AMLooking through A-Model listing doesn't show an Su-11, Su-15 and Su-26, yes.  The book has been known to be in error sometimes.

A-Model Su-11

I don't know how good (or bad) the A-model kit is, but it has to be far better than the Leoman trench digger's special.