Re: Which kit is better? Now A.W. Meteor...

Started by rickshaw, January 28, 2011, 05:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

Quote from: kevincallahan on June 28, 2011, 03:44:19 PM
Having built a lot of 1:72 Hawks (not the Fujimi one, but if that Saudi aerobatic team boxing ever gets in my crosshairs...) I can say that the new-tool Airfix kits are well engineered and easy to build. I'm not the one to ask about detail accuracy, but the buildability index is very high indeed. And with all those aftermarket decals out there, how can you not build a few of them!?  :lol:

Just bought a couple on the basis of that. I was told at MAM that the Poles nearly had 'em but we could not intergrate their weapons systems so the deal fell through.

The Wooksta!

Quote from: kevincallahan on June 28, 2011, 03:44:19 PM
And with all those aftermarket decals out there, how can you not build a few of them!?  :lol:

Very easy for me not to build any at all.  It doesn't interest me at all and it's far too modern.  My interest in British aircraft ends on Budget Day 1965.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

TsrJoe

not really much to choose between the Italeri/Revell and new Airfix Hawk T.1 kits, especially when the former kits can be picked up cheap at eg. M&S for £2.00  :thumbsup: having said that the markings with the Airfix example are really nice, if anyone has the Finnish Midnight Hawks section going spare id happily swop for it, be nice to complete the 4 ship lineup  :mellow:
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Army of One

BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

NARSES2

Quote from: Army of One on July 07, 2011, 03:19:13 AM
What Marks n Sparks sells models...???

Yup, some branches occasionally have some in, especially around Crimbo
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Army of One

Oh.......I was thinking of Hawks for £2........ ;D
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

TsrJoe

my local m&s department store had a batch of Hawk's, Hueycobra's and Spitfire Vb's at easter, the Aberdeen store had them on sale just after chrimbo too as narses mentioned. its always a good idea to check out shops usually not associated with stocking kits, eg. poundland, m&s, home bargains, etc. as there may be the off chance of someting turning up  :blink:

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Army of One

Oh cool......I'll have to keep an eye out then......... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

rickshaw

OK, folks, I have a hankering to build a Folland Gnat.

Which kit is better?

Airfix T.1
Matchbox T.1
Olimp - various versions.

IRRC, Airfix announced a new mould for a T.1 - is this still on the cards?  Should I wait for it?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

The Wooksta!

New mould airfix.  The old one is vile, the Matchbox one hard to find but nice.  Olimp will be expensive.  Wait is the best option and the test shots look fab.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

TsrJoe

the new Airfix one will probably be the best option re the T.2, pity about the 'trenches' tho  :banghead: at least when Matchbox did it they were usually limited in number to main panel lines  :blink: i'll definately pick up a few tho when its released
Olimp's F.1 kits are really nice if your after a fighter version, im not sure if they have released a T.2 as yet tho

NARSES2

The Olimp kits are nice but expensive. Wait for the new Airfix kit
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Anybody got an ETA on the new Airfix one, then?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

The Wooksta!

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Weaver

Quote from: The Wooksta! on October 19, 2011, 12:51:47 AM
The old  <Airfix> one is vile

Just like to second, third, fourth and fifth that...... :banghead:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones