Sea Meteor F.1 - Finished!

Started by rickshaw, February 01, 2011, 09:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

In 1945, desperate to get a jet powered aircraft aboard their carriers, the Lords of the Admiralty undertook trials with a Meteor I was used for deck-handling tests aboard aircraft carrier HMS Pretoria Castle in late 1944.  Flown by Captain Eric "Winkle Brown" in March 1945, a hooked Meteor III made the first jet landing and take off from an aircraft carrier on HMS Ocean.   The results from these trials were such that they decided to order 200 Meteor IVs, a version which utilised the Derwent V engine. This new engine provided 3,500lb of thrust, a 50% increase on the power offered by the Derwent IV used in later Meteor IIIs.   The result was a sprightly improvement in the Meteor III's desultory performance.   The first Meteor IV prototype took to the air on 15 August 1945 and the test programme went so smoothly that it entered RN FAA squadron service on 1 June 1946, just in time to sail onboard HMS Illustrious to the Far East to take part in the planned invasion of the Japanese home islands.  Able to carry 2,000lbs under each wing, armed with rockets or bombs and its 4 20mm cannon, the Meteor IV proved a considerable success both as a fighter-bomber and a fighter against the Japanese Kamikaze planes deployed against the Allied fleet off Japan.

I intend to have a Sea Meteor IV started this evening for the group build.  My first foray into such affairs.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

The Wooksta!

Already ahead of you (see my Meteor thread), although I need to cast a recce nose for one of mine.  Still unsure if it'll be on an F.III or F.IV though.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

Some photos of the real thing, apparently it used a Sea Hornet arrestor hook
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Wooksta!

I've an unfinished F3 that I nicked a Hornet hook for.  Just needs the u/c and the doors and it's done.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

rickshaw

Wooksta, I wasn't aware we were in competition.

Mine will be a little different, I suspect.   :mellow:

Been delayed starting it tonight with a problem finishing off my last build.  Damn Future reacted with the acrylic paint.  Then the flat varnish I intended to finish it off, reacted with the Future!  Damn, damn, damn.  However, thats another story for another thread.  :banghead: :banghead:

rickshaw

Finished.

Gloster Sea Meteor F.1, embarked HMS ILLUSTRIOUS, Operation OLYMPIC, invasion of Kyushu, Japan, 1946.

Apologies for the poor quality pictures.  I'll see if I can improve them.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Spey_Phantom

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Hobbes

NARSES2

Nice one mate  :thumbsup: I'm even starting to get rid of my phobia for those BPF roundels  :banghead: That's why in my own little world the BSCSF (British South China Seas Fleet) uses standard SEAC ones  ;D The USN is still approaching the Phillipines in my world.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

Very nice!  :thumbsup: What did you use for the wing fold hinges, a paper clip?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

pyro-manic

That looks rather good. :)

For photos, try taking some outside in natural light - camera flash tends to wash things out.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 27, 2011, 02:09:49 AM
Nice one mate  :thumbsup: I'm even starting to get rid of my phobia for those BPF roundels  :banghead: That's why in my own little world the BSCSF (British South China Seas Fleet) uses standard SEAC ones  ;D The USN is still approaching the Phillipines in my world.

Thanks.

I know you live in the past but didn't realise it was quite that far back...  ;)   :lol:

I like the BPF roundels.  Makes sure that trigger-happy boys from the backwoods don't get confused of who they should be shooting!

rickshaw

Quote from: The Rat on February 27, 2011, 05:34:46 AM
Very nice!  :thumbsup: What did you use for the wing fold hinges, a paper clip?

Yes, a paperclip.  This time, 'cause the wing has such a deep chord, I added a piece of thin brass tube surrounded by some sprue to help fill in the yawning gap which I then filled over with milliput.  The brass tube made it easier to make sure the hole for the paperclip wire would stay open and made it a much closer fit so there wasn't any gaps.

The Rat

Quote from: rickshaw on February 27, 2011, 03:56:48 PM
Yes, a paperclip.  This time, 'cause the wing has such a deep chord, I added a piece of thin brass tube surrounded by some sprue to help fill in the yawning gap which I then filled over with milliput.  The brass tube made it easier to make sure the hole for the paperclip wire would stay open and made it a much closer fit so there wasn't any gaps.

Yep, figured. I need to do the wing folds on my Naval Swift, but the wings are solid one-piece, so as long as I don't stuff up drilling the holes they should be nice and secure.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr