Long range Anti-Submarine Coastal Command patrol aircraft

Started by Bungle, February 02, 2011, 05:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Nice one - seems a natural for that kind of conversion once somebody points it out to you... :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Bungle

[/quote]

Ooooh!  A flying plane with roll-out cylindrical depth charges like on a ship Destroyer....now that would be different!  :blink: :thumbsup: :lol:
[/quote]

Your wish is my command !  Worked out how I can do it (even though the kit will be on the ground). Pictures over the weekend... trying to source an old Airfix kit off of EvilBay for the torpedoes at the moment.... grrrr !
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

Bungle

Latest photographic update for my...  :unsure: :unsure: still haven't got a name for it.   Any suggestions?

Picture 1 below : Overview : Basic Bomb bay built. Bomb Bay doors are cut from the kit and bent to shape and lined with florist wire, plastic rod and masking tape. Cockpit built and roughly painted - no good doing too much detail as the view in is restricted by the small windows. Front turrent barrels made from tube and plastic rod - shame I haven't got a turret yet !

Torpedo in photo from the Airfix SH-3D Sea King, only have a couple of these but won a kit off ebay tonight so four more coming. (Need to finish bomb bay release hardware when I have figured out the full arnament). Have to say my 'mint' win was a lot, lot cheaper than this http://www.vintage-airfix.com/airfix-sikorsky-sea-king-p-177.html.

For Captain Canada .... Roll-out depth charge rig built. The metal bracket is the nose weight - 90g !

Picture 2 : Bomb bay : Made from a sheet of balsa wood cut to size and plastic card glued to one side. Plastic rod for the ribbing and odds and ends to make it more interesting. Bulkheads also made from balsa and plastic sheet. Florist wire and a couple of washers add detail.

Picture 3 : Cockpit : Went for olive drab but it looks too dark. Nevermind won't see a lot through the glazing (a lot of masking going to needed here).

Picture 4 : Depth Charges : The idea is that this hangs out of the back of the cargo doors (which will openupwards and inwards). Balsa again and plastic card and rod.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

Gondor

How about an unofficial name of "The Whale" due to its size and shape?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Bungle on February 13, 2011, 12:51:38 PM
Latest photographic update for my...  :unsure: :unsure: still haven't got a name for it.   Any suggestions?

Boeing Bradford?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

XPBB-1 Poseidon? (Experimental Patrol Bomber, Boeing)
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Tuck

First: LOVE the depth charges!  :wub: :wub:

Next: How about the Boeing PBJ-144A2 Narwhale.  Add a long anti-submarine/shipping sensor probe off the nose...thence the name.  :wub: ;D
"I do this hobby for fun not to be nitpicked, and that's one reason i love this place (What-If) so much, its not necessarily the quality, its the 'spirit' of the build or idea that's important..."-Beowulf

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Daryl J.

How about calling it the Boeing Pequod with white whales for each submarine kill.    Ahhh the days before intellectual property rights.    :party: :party: :party:

Bungle

I'm leaning towards a build under licence using the MoD Specs B.1/39 for a Four-engined heavy bomber (the resultant Avro Lancaster but who knows what the Bristol Type 159 would have been like) and R.14/40 Very long range reconnaissance flying boat - Centaurus-engined Sunderland replacement (casually ignoring the flying boat part). So here it is ....

The Bristol Type 159 'Beluga' Beausprit

Mr W.I.Kipedia suggests that the 'bowsprit' of a sailing vessel is a pole (or spar) extending forward from the vessel's prow. It provides an anchor point for the forestay(s), allowing the fore-mast to be stepped farther forward on the hull. So that's my naval connection corrupted to Beau . Beluga or as we all know it Delphinapterus leucas, the White Whale or Sea Canary in honour of Daryl J. our salty seadog with his knowledge of Moby Dick (for which I have cream).

Do I hear any voices in opposition ?  No ? The BeauSprit it is then - or would be if I had time to work on the kit !

;D   

Rheged

Is this the time and place to mention the allegedly serious proposal for a Napier Nomad diesel engined Shackleton MR 5 ?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Mossie

Heh, I was thinking nuclear powered Princess!  :wacko:

Great project you've got going Bungle! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Rheged

Quote from: Mossie on February 15, 2011, 08:59:19 AM
Heh, I was thinking nuclear powered Princess!  :wacko:

Great project you've got going Bungle! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Agreed, a most entertaining  project. I wasn't going to mention the Princess  but it does look like an aquatic cousin of the Boeing that started this thread off.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Bungle

Interesting idea the SARO Princess. May be I should add an extra pair of engines  ;D

Got my Sea King from Ebay so plenty of weaponry but at the moment I'm filling and sanding the windows I don't need. I've got my front turret sourced and two remote turrets for the main fuselage.

Nothing worth photographing tonight folks - more soon!

Adding another project as finding I need something to do waiting for the putty to dry ! McDonnell F2-K Martlet II.