Long range Anti-Submarine Coastal Command patrol aircraft

Started by Bungle, February 02, 2011, 05:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bungle

Photo update.....

Bomb bay hardware completed

Still sanding and puttying.... happy days
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

Bungle

Not a load of progress this week - work keeps getting in the way !

Bomb bay now complete and armed to the teeth !

Glazing has been masked (I hate doing this bit).

I reckon I will be putting the fuselage together later this week.
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

Taiidantomcat

Nice masking on that canopy!! I know its not easy with all the little windows but you nailed it!  :cheers:

As for the Bomb bay... Nice  :wacko:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Doc Yo

Great googly-moogly! That's a warload! All it needs now are doors on the bow and a conning tower! ;)
Good progress, and I have to agree with Taiidan, masking all those tiny windows is worthy of praise all
by itself.

Captain Canada

Quote from: Doc Yo on March 02, 2011, 09:40:50 AM
a conning tower! ;)

I like that idea.....ever seen the little wing section atop the 'Rockliffe Ice Wagon' ? Since it's a maritime patrol a/c, a conning tower/ lookout above the fuselage would be neat.

The detail work looks superb. Love the different ords. Especially the yellow one....just awesome.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tuck

Quote from: Doc Yo on March 02, 2011, 09:40:50 AM
Great googly-moogly! That's a warload! All it needs now are doors on the bow and a conning tower! ;)
Good progress, and I have to agree with Taiidan, masking all those tiny windows is worthy of praise all
by itself.

Ohhhh, evil thought...nasty evil Whifer thought.... How about torpedo tubes and ports/doors just below the cockpit.  Head on torpedo run....... :wacko: :wacko:
"I do this hobby for fun not to be nitpicked, and that's one reason i love this place (What-If) so much, its not necessarily the quality, its the 'spirit' of the build or idea that's important..."-Beowulf

Bungle

Hmmm ! Conning tower .... now there's a thought.  I'll have a hard think about that one. Have to admit I was playing around with the idea of some sonabouy tubes.

Anyway an update before the weekend (and hopefully some serious work).  Gave the glazing an undercoat on the inside and started work on the engines. Added some brass mesh to the radiator intakes.

PR19_Kit

Conning tower? Torpedo tubes? Hmmmmmm........

Come to think of it that cockpit does look a little the bow end of the USS Seaview from 'Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea'.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Bungle

A whole month has passed and still to glue the fuselage halves together ! I must be slacking.

Had the Grand kids over yesterday and today (unexpected) so didn't get everything done that I had planned. Sacrificed watching the cricket to do some modelling this morning. Started when South Africa were 80 something for 1 and thought that's that.....  :banghead:

Still watching Tv is slightly worse for you than inhaling Liquid Poly fumes and getting your fingertips superglued to something.....

Progress..... Bomb bay glued to one fuselage half. The kit has two spars to help give the wings some support. I have had to cut these thinner to allow for my bomb bay so I have reinforced the spars with some hardwood strips.

Cockpit and front wheel-well glued in place with weight added under the cockpit floor (two wheel balancing weights 15g) plus I have glued a 100g metal bracket behind the cockpit. All in all this should cater for the 70g nose weight suggested in the instructions plus some for my longer tail (which I have yet to source).

Rear cargo hold floor added but I'm not overly happy with it so it is only tacked in place.

I suppose the next feat will be joining the fuselage sides together  (help!)

Taiidantomcat

Of all the things to derail a project, grand kids aren't so bad  :thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing more  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Bungle

I thought I'd struggle getting the fuselage together but in truth it went together like a dream.

Even the bomb bay slotted in perfectly.

buzzbomb

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Bungle

Thank you for your kind comments.

I made a start on the wings last night - they have a weird four part construction. One thing is for sure, I will have to keep the wings separate until after painting/decalling as I don't have the room to work on this monster in one piece !

More to come !

Bungle

Wings completed, ready for a lick of paint but this weekends little project will be carving, sanding my balsa tail boom.