Main Menu

Tuskegee Airman P-80

Started by philp, February 02, 2011, 09:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

Got an Airfix Shooting Star in the stash put aside for this. Course, got to get some decals that will work (see request in Swap Shop).

Probably go with the standard NMF finish (or in my case, sprayed aluminum) even though the initial jets sent to Italy for trials were in light grey.

Hope to get started on this over the weekend.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

proditor

Ooooo, good idea!  :thumbsup:

I have the 1/48 Monogram P-80 in the stash, but I'm holding out some twisted thoughts of making that into a late model L-133 somehow.  Never should have found out they used the same wing...

The Rat

I started one a couple of years ago, and then had a fatal paint disaster.  :banghead:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

philp

Hey, what do you know.  The GB was supposed to end today but we have a week extension so better get going. :blink:

Got some decals from Cliffy B (thanks again) so "Ina the Macon Queen Too" is back in production.

When I was going through the parts I found out one of the landing gear doors was missing  :banghead:.  I seem to be running into this a lot recently and don't think the kit had been out of the box long enough for a part to leap out of the box and into the clutches of the Carpet Monster (ah, we have a sinister plan for him at a later date).
That and the fact that I alway thought the main gear doors are extremely think led me to another plan.  I have not done a kit gear up on a stand forever so, how about this one?
Ok, let's see, no need for weight, can find some plastic to fill the missing door, just need a pilot that will work for Lt Lee "Buddy" Archer in 1946.  Airfix kit does come with a pilot but he is wearing a '50s era Bone Dome so that won't work.  Time to dive into the crew quarters (aka, figure stash) and see who is ready for a ride.  Found a suitable Airfix pilot (don't tell him but think he may be German) and a pic of the only Black Ace in an Osprey book so we are back on track.

Here is a pic of the replacement part with the other doors closed.  It was part of a plastic bookmark that had suffered some structural disaster.  Not too bad, at least for me.  Will probably add a little putty in the area to smooth things over a bit.

Buddy is almost painted up.  Just got to do his jacket, Mae West and a little detail painting.  Not sure why I am bothering as the Airfix canopy is nice and thick but it is making me feel good to actually paint a pilot so there you go.  Will post pics of him up tomorrow.

Still debating on whether to go with the NMF as the Mustangs were or to do the Pearl Grey color the test birds flew in while in Italy (where the 332nd was based).
What do you guys think?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

The Rat

Coming along nicely. I was thinking of doing mine in an olive drab WWII scheme, 1946. Still kicking myself about the paint disaster. Did you get decals yet? I have the Academy P-51C that I bought specifically for the Tuskegee decals, if you can't find one let me know.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

philp

Cliffy B hooked me up.

Just got to paint the life vest tonight and then a wash on the figure and he will be ready to man the cockpit.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

dragon

I want to see good, clear pictures of the finished product.  I know Chris Buckholtz (who wrote the last Osprey book on the Tuskegee Airmen), and would love to see his jaw drop.
:cheers: :cheers:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

dragon

Philp:
I know for a fact that Mr. Buckholtz has built one or two "Whiffs" in his lifetime (not that he cares to admit it too often in public- just kidding, the guy is a fan of 1/72 anything).  He is well acquainted with our brand of insanity.
:cheers:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Brian da Basher

This is a truly inspired project, Phil! It looks like you're off to a great start and I'm looking forward to seeing more!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

philp

Everyone, please meet Lt. Lee "Buddy" Archer.

And this is his office.

He is a little glossy as I just hit him with a little Detailer.  May have to spray a little Dullcote after he dries.  Course, you can't see that much through that canopy so a little shine might be good. :blink:

Next up is put the main parts together and see if my putty-fu is up to speed.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

The Rat

Quote from: philp on June 04, 2011, 06:59:20 PMHe is a little glossy as I just hit him with a little Detailer.  May have to spray a little Dullcote after he dries.  Course, you can't see that much through that canopy so a little shine might be good.

In my experience dark skin appears 'shinier' than light skin. I presume it's because a shiny spot surrounded by dark skin is more noticable than a shiny spot surrounded by a lighter background.

philp

Buddy surveys his new mount.  Think he likes what he sees, so far.

Fuselage is together and wings on.  Letting it dry so I can trim the excess glue to see what will need filling.  Still need to add the intakes and stabilizers.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Mossie

Like the idea Phil, I was in the market for a P-80 a short while back & it would likely have been in Tuskegee colours.  Looking forward to it. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Pablo1965

Good Idea. ...waiting more step. :thumbsup: :cheers: :bow: