Nuremberg 2011

Started by Green Dragon, February 03, 2011, 05:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Yeah, IIRC you could build almost every mark of Harrier II from the Airfix kit (except the GR.9 as it wasn't around then), the GR.5, GR.7, & AV-8B kits came with identical sprue but different decals.  Someone did a conversion set for 100% LERX.

The main external difference between the GR.7/9 is the 100% LERX, all GR.9's had these, but only some GR.7's.  The Airfix kit came around early in it's life, so you got 60% LERX.  Otherwise, they're identical, except for the loadouts.  A big load of Brimstone would be nice, although I'm not sure if the Harrier ever carried it other then trials?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

I'm not sure all GR.9's got the 100% LERX Simon, FYI, there's a pretty good thread going over on Britmodeller about which ones got it and which ones didn't.

For the 1/72 100% LERX, I've got a few of the Heritage Aviation ones, quite good they are too.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

You might be well be right Robert, in the back of my mind I thought all GR.9's got them & it was the GR.7's that lacked them, but it seems like a bit of a minefield.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ChernayaAkula

Hope it will come with a nice load of 'splodey bits for a Herrick Harrier!  :wacko:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Green Dragon

More IPMS Germany pics, from Jean-Luc Formery this time and includes a clearer pic of the Harrier GR-9. http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/Ausstellungen/Nuernberg2011/Formery/index.html

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on February 14, 2011, 11:15:40 AM
Hope it will come with a nice load of 'splodey bits for a Herrick Harrier!  :wacko:

Hmm, going by THIS PIC we're looking at CRV-7 pods, Sniper targeting pod and - hopefully - the recon pod on the belly station. The EW/countermeasures pod would also be nice to have. :thumbsup: The LGBs look like the bog-standard GBU-12s to me, not the newer Paveway 4s.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Maverick

Moritz, those LGBs aren't early Paveways.  The forward fins are of a totally different configuration and look much like the photo which is a current GR.9.  The older, original Paveways had almost triangular nose fins.  The model pic looks like a current Paveway IV, which can be seen at this link under a Tornado.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Templates/LargeImageTemplate.aspx?img=/NR/rdonlyres/FB799EC8-F25C-4C78-AB41-850789CE7BAF/0/PWIVonTornado.jpg&alt=Paveway IV on Tornado GR4

Regards,

Mav

ChernayaAkula

What do you mean by "early" Paveways? There are some Paveways with near-triangular forward fins, but those are not GBU-12s.

GBU-12

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/app5/gbu-12.jpg

500lb Paveway IV

The warheads are the same, just the guidance kits are a bit different.The Paveway 4 give-aways are GPS receiver "pucks" on the seeker head and the saddle on the bomb body. There's also an oblong ridge on the other side of the Paveway 4's seeker head that can't be seen in this pic. Apart from that, they're externally similar. From the pic taken at Nuremberg, it looks to me like they're the normal GBU-12s, without the saddle and GPS pucks. The pic you linked to shows a Paveway 4 all right. The saddle, GPS pucks and ridge are evident.
Cheers,
Moritz

rickshaw

As alluded to, PAVEWAY is a guidance package, not a bomb.  The actual bomb is a Mk.82 streamlined bomb to which a guidance nose and a glide wing tail is strapped.   The SKIPPER series added a rocket booster (unfortunately not carried on with by the USN).
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mossie

Yeah, the Brits originally put the package on their own 1000lb bombs for the Paveway II & III, with the Paveway IV they've used the US Mk.82.

rickshaw

Quote from: Green Dragon on February 14, 2011, 01:15:04 PM
More IPMS Germany pics, from Jean-Luc Formery this time and includes a clearer pic of the Harrier GR-9. http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/Ausstellungen/Nuernberg2011/Formery/index.html

Paul Harrison

Who are these four fellows?

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Maverick

Mortiz,

My bad & colour me confused.  I would have thought that the Paveway II series would have been deep sixed ages ago, given it entered service in '76.  With all the other Paveway type weapons available, I'm surprised that such an old design is still routinely used, but then again, equally older weapons seem to be floating about still. 

That being said, both the photo of the box art & the test shot seem to be this old design, so Airfix can't be blamed for basing their model on that photo.  It does seem that it lacks that saddle, but there also seem to be bands wrapping around the center section of the bomb proper which don't have any relevance to my mind.

The Paveways I was referring to were obviously series I weapons.

Regards,

Mav

Mossie

This pic seems to give some credence to the bands, although they aren't raised there are only two compared to three on the Airfix bomb.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/defenceimages/5035996953/

Maverick

Simon,

I'd hazard a guess in your photo that they're the standard bands found on modern ordnance that denotes, at least the yellow, a high-explosive filling.  I had a site saved somewhere that broke down the system rather well.  The Airfix bands are different, raised obviously, but also follow the mounting lugs on the pylon which isn't the case with the photo you've posted.

Curiouser & curiouser it seems.

Regards,

Mav

Mossie

The yellow designates a live warhead IIRC.  I don't think the black bands have any significance to that coding.  Bombs would have a single band for the warhead, missiles two, one for the warhead, one for the motor.  I fogot the member who used to be an RAF armourer, but maybe he could shed some light?