Fireball XL500

Started by puddingwrestler, February 04, 2011, 12:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

Remember Fireball XL5?
Remember the amazingly cheesey theme song?
Remember the amazingly cheesey episode where the cast actually performed the amazingly cheesey theme song?
Well, despite being born in the 80s, I do.
And I intend to produce the next generation of Fireball class space patrol ships; the XL500.
Or to put it another way, I shall ask my self the question 'What If Fireball XL5 had been an American production - how would it have looked?'
And to answer it I shall take up shovels and rakes and implements of dee-struction (sorry, Alice's Restaurant kinda crept in there) and a Delta Dagger.
And I shall do things which are probably banned under various international treaties.

All together now:
"I wish I was a Spaceman, the fastest guy alive, I'd fly you round the universe in Fireball XL5!"
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Rheged

Fireball XL500....sounds good!      Some of us can even remember the "Galaspheres" of Galactic Patrol*............. and as for Dan Dare's "Anastasia"   and "Zylbat"     well...............am I the oldest surviving inhabitant?

*Later amendment (failing memory)  it might have been "Space Patrol"  or even  called Planet Patrol in the Excited States.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on February 04, 2011, 02:18:21 AM
and as for Dan Dare's "Anastasia"

Now THERE was the ultimate personal space cruiser!

I'm amazed that no-one has ever done a model of Anastasia, you could have full interior detail visible through the transparent roof, swing-wings and a detachable nose section too! Quite how you'd get the model of the nose section to stand upright on that mind blowing 'sphere-O-wheel' I'm not sure though........  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: puddingwrestler on February 04, 2011, 12:27:59 AM
And to answer it I shall take up shovels and rakes and implements of dee-struction (sorry, Alice's Restaurant kinda crept in there) and a Delta Dagger.

It's gonna be a MASSACREE!  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

puddingwrestler

Quote from: Rheged on February 04, 2011, 02:18:21 AM
Fireball XL500....sounds good!      Some of us can even remember the "Galaspheres" of Galactic Patrol*............. and as for Dan Dare's "Anastasia"   and "Zylbat"     well...............am I the oldest surviving inhabitant?

*Later amendment (failing memory)  it might have been "Space Patrol"  or even  called Planet Patrol in the Excited States.

Memory of such things is not linked to age, but Geek Level. As a high level Film/TV/SF geek, I am familiar with most of those, and have even read the original Dan Dare in reprints. I am also familiar with Rocky Jones, Space Ranger and Captain Video, although I have not seen any of the later.

Also, It's a Delta Dart, not Delta Dagger, I get those confused all the time.

Standby for the commencement of construction and the posting of 27 8X9 colour glossy photographs with circles and arrows showing the scene of the crime.

jcf

puddingwrestler

That was the feature film version where they bought the rights and never read the source material.
Kinda like the first draft of the Twilight movie where the studio bought the rights before the massive cult following developed... and Edward was a member of a para-military vampire hunter unit.

jcf

Quote from: puddingwrestler on February 04, 2011, 03:45:22 PM
That was the feature film version where they bought the rights and never read the source material.
Kinda like the first draft of the Twilight movie where the studio bought the rights before the massive cult following developed... and Edward was a member of a para-military vampire hunter unit.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Army of One

Was it Sean Pertwee who sung it in the kareoke scenes in Love,Honour and Obey......?? What an awesome film...!!
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Doc Yo

I'll be waiting patiently, right here on the Group W bench, to see this build progress. My own all-but-finished
Fireball XL-7 ( Looked nothing like a Mazda-shaadup Jon! ;D) suffered a catrostrophic structural failure when I
discoved that brake fluid will seriously degrade epoxy putty...

puddingwrestler

Well, guess I failed to finish this thing... got distracted by far to many wargaming projects and it just slipped off the end of the 'to build' list.