Main Menu

Firefly F.III

Started by kitbasher, February 04, 2011, 02:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Sabre-engined Firefly coming soon!  Based on the Frog/Novo Firefly I and in British Pacific Fleet colours.
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

Best to use the one from the Matchbox Tempest as it's got the tropical radiator.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 04, 2011, 04:43:42 PM
Best to use the one from the Matchbox Tempest as it's got the tropical radiator.

But you've got them all.............  ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Been in the box from the off!
;D ;D
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

Started work on this one, pics will follow soon.
Essentially a straight build, with the exception of the engine.   Cockpits are done (a little extra detail has been added), the wings assembled and fitted (wheel well boxing in under way), and the tailplanes fitted.
Pales into insignificance compared to some of the builds that are coming to light in this GB - especially the Stratocruiser conversion!
;D ;D

kitbasher

Some pics of the build showing some quick and basic cockpit detailing (most of which will be lost when the caonopies are fitted), the ample use of filler, and how much the Sabre engine changed the front end.  I didn't think it would do so that much - but au contraire, I think it does. Anyway, make your own minds up on that once the build is finished.
Plan is for a British Pacific Fleet paint job.
;D ;D

Captain Canada

It doesn't seem to change it that much to me....but then again, it's a little early to tell. A very cool idea for a very cool aeroplane !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

The Wooksta!

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 05, 2011, 12:51:10 AM

But you've got them all.............  ;D ;D

That, Sir, is a gratuitous slur!  I merely have quite a few...

The P.1027 in the background looks as though it's progressing nicely.  I do hope it's getting a Wyvern prop?

Almost tempted to re-engine one of these with a Centaurus.  I know I've a Novo one kicking about somewhere.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

Not just as a tropical radiator Lee  The Tempest Mk.V had a 2000+ hp engine and the same radiator layout as the Typhoon, that is that it had the carb' air intake through the middle of it and a section of the radiator was an oil cooler.  The Tempest Mk.VI (the Matchbox kit) had a Sabre Mk.V engine which was 2300+ hp which required a bigger radiator, so Hawker moved the air intake and oil cooler to the wing's leading edge and the radiator under the nose was all for engine coolant.  I'm going with this bit of history for my second DH.101 model because of the increase in power that Sabre engine had over the intended engine the DH.101 was to get.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

There is an interesting photo of the prototype Firefly Mk.VII in the newest Aeromilitaria magazine I get, it was a converted Mk.I but has a four blade prop powerd by a Griffon but with an annular radiator, like this below

kitbasher

The Firefly I and II was an attractive aircraft from the off - but the IV, 5 and 6 were very pretty ( probably the best looking Fairey series production type) courtesy of the wing radiators.  The 7 was pretty -pretty ugly, that is!
;D ;D

kitbasher

Painting under way - only after undercoating and painting the prop/spinner did I realise that the Matchbox Tempest Sabre nose must be a little bulkier than the Heller Tempest's as I'm using the latter's prop and spinner.  Plasticard disc had to be made up and shaped to make up the difference (pics to follow below).  Oh, and I've started the backstory - yes I can tell you can barely contain yourselves!
;D ;D

kitbasher

kitnut617

Very nice and well executed ---  :bow: :bow:

I had to look twice because it looks just 'right'