Mosquito PR - Turboprop - finished !!

Started by buzzbomb, February 04, 2011, 05:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

I am am.. lovin' the stuff you blokes have put up for this GB already

So I was thinking (Warning:pathetic Backstory ahead :thumbsup:)
As 1945 moved into 1946, the Rolls Royce backroom boys had produced a workable turboprop engine, improving the original work done by György Jendrassik to produce an efficient, yet reasonably powerful Turboprop engine. This was then fitted to the Mosquito to provide the next version of the Mosquito Photo Recon bird.

So the plan is to use an Airfix mossie and some ME-262 bits to produce a turboprop Mosquito.

Well that's the plan anyway.. we shall see ;D

Brian T

PR19_Kit

The mind truly boggles! And you've not even started it yet!!!!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ChrisF

buzzbomb

lurching into action here

There are times when the mind vision and the actual, what I can achieve vision do not meld.
The Engines appear too high, but to keep the undercart where it is.. not a lot of choice.
I have to bear in mine here, that the turboprop, would have been in it's infancy, nothing more than a Trent style really,
so to fit the engine onto an exiting airframe compromises would have to be made.. here it is lateral view, over the existing undercart fairings.

I have fitted some old 1/32 stuka bomb halves as the exhaust shields. This will be cut/filed/sanded/filled to shape.

Planning to fair in the wheel wells with the engines via an additional intake. I will fill the old wing intakes, most probably.
I also plan on altering the nose shape to house cameras. So it won't be so pointy.
Probably some more avaition engineering oopsies.. but hey.. this is whif world

More to follow.. wait out.

Hobbes

Don't forget that turboprops are compact, usually smaller than the piston engines they replace. The extra length of a turbojet is mostly the exhaust duct, which you don't need. 
You could probably get away with fitting the turboprop in place of the Merlin. Fit one or two big exhausts with ducting over the wing or alongside the wheel fairing.

Gondor

Quote from: Hobbes on February 11, 2011, 04:29:48 AM
Don't forget that turboprops are compact, usually smaller than the piston engines they replace. The extra length of a turbojet is mostly the exhaust duct, which you don't need. 
You could probably get away with fitting the turboprop in place of the Merlin. Fit one or two big exhausts with ducting over the wing or alongside the wheel fairing.

This makes a lot more sense than what you have in the last picture which would make flying the aircraft very difficult with the engines blocking most of the pilots view to the sides. It would also look more aesthetic as well.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

GTX

Quote from: Hobbes on February 11, 2011, 04:29:48 AM

Modern ones of axial design are, but if this was to use turbo-props of centrifugal design (such as the trent mentioned - see below for pic), then you have a much larger beast.

That said, you could try moving the engine itself ahead of the wing and then there would be room for the exhaust ducting and undercarriage.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

buzzbomb

Quote from: GTX on February 11, 2011, 12:42:49 PM
That said, you could try moving the engine itself ahead of the wing and then there would be room for the exhaust ducting and undercarriage.
Regards,
Greg
I am aiming for more of the Trent style, so this makes a fair bit of sense. Another thing I had looked at was the hulking size of the Python in the Wyvern

Thanks to you all for the feedback so far.. I have taken it all onboard and have ditched the 262 engines.. another project perhaps.
A couple of drop tanks had to die, but I am more satisfied with how it looks now

Still a way to go, however Contra rotating props are happening as well.. I have a donor Sturgeon Vacform in the pre-loved stash.

Gondor

That is looking great, nicely streamlined and far better aesthetically.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Hobbes

PR19_Kit

Quote from: buzzbomb on February 12, 2011, 10:51:34 PM
I have a donor Sturgeon Vacform in the pre-loved stash.

Can you use 'Sturgeon' and 'pre-loved' in the same sentence?  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Go, Brian! :thumbsup:

Looks like a great concept; that it will be a great build goes without saying! :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

kitnut617

Trying not to go into 'JMN' mode, but as I'm developing my DH.101 wing right now, I notice your engine and exhaust go right through the two wing spars ----  ;)

But there is possibly a solution, a drawing has been discovered of the Jet Mosquito.  It was to use the Halford centrafugal engine and it is placed in between the spars, the rear one still having to be a spectacle spar because the exhaust goes through it.  The wing has been 'reversed' though, the leading edge is swept and the trailing edge is 90 degrees to the fuselage centerline.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

pyro-manic

The engine could be mounted lower, with an S-shaped exhaust? Or a flattened exhaust to fit over the spar or something.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<