USS WESTWIND WAG-281, Greenland/North Atlantic- Finished!

Started by sandiego89, February 05, 2011, 08:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Mmmm...love it !

The 'big' mods to the Seabirds look good, too.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Cliffy B

Looking good man!  Did you consider doing the aircraft in the Atlantic ASW camo scheme at all?  We didn't use the GSB scheme in the Atlantic too much, if at all.  Just a thought.  Nice job adjusting them to the scale of the ship  :thumbsup:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

sandiego89

Good idea. Still playing with the color for the planes and agree that the all blue is too much, but I needed to get a color on them to clean them up. Still have some sanding to do on them. Clear is tough to work with. I do like the Atlantic colors and think they would fit nice with the ship, which will be measure 33 cammo.  White, Thayer blue and 2 shades of gray.  Will be a bear to paint with all the angles. 

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/g100000/g173269c.htm
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

sandiego89

Went with the Atlantic cammo for the SC-1's.  Much better. 
Dave "Sandiego89"

Captain Canada

Yes, the planes look good in those colours !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Cliffy B

-Tom Clancy

-Anonymous

-Anonymous

Mossie

Yeah, the planes get a whiff livery too, IIRC SC's only saw service in the Pacific war & were painted accordoingly.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

sandiego89

The paint job has been frustrating.  Wrong shades, airbrush failure, complex design......  First attempt at a dazzle scheme and it has been a learning curve.  Should have done a prototype first. Hoping for a "save" at this point     
Dave "Sandiego89"

Captain Canada

Looks ok from where I'm standing ! Once you dress her up with all the bits, and give her some rust, it'll look "good as new" !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Cliffy B

She's not looking that bad man, really!  You just need to fix the shades of the blues.  Remember the two shades on the deck are different from the hull blue.  Keep at it, she's looking great  :thumbsup:
-Tom Clancy

-Anonymous

-Anonymous

sandiego89

Hey am I too late to finish my entry for the '46 group build?  ;D

This was from the 2011 Group build with WWII extending into 1946.  Was going through some uncompleted builds and had to finish this one off. Was never happy with the dazzle cammo, so went with a simpler version and scratched up a Kingfisher.

Anyhow, the USS WESTWIND, 1946.  1/300 Scale.  A very basic kit from the 1950's.  Re-popped by Revell.    

With the continuation of the war in Europe, the supply line through Greenland was increasingly important. Several ice breakers were dispatched to assist with convoy duties, plane guard, and to support resupply efforts at airfields in Greenland.  Long range Luftwaffe aircraft patrols proved a nuisance, so the WESTWIND had a hangar added to support Seahawk float planes.  A Seahawk was credited with a Fw 200 Condor kill on April 21, 1946.  

Air wing.  With a few variations.  Seahawks on left with Atlantic and Pacifci schemes.  Kingfishers on right.

Dave "Sandiego89"

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Awesome ! Love the look of this one. Those old ice breakers had sucg a unique look to them, and the addition of a cat and floatplanes really adds to that. Nice one !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

That's the one ! In the GB section  :thumbsup:

How'd you make the ice and water ? What are you doing with the spare chopper ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?