The Post Apocalyptic Road Rally Sudden Death Muscle Car War GB

Started by puddingwrestler, February 07, 2011, 08:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

Phil: What is that? It's gorgeous!

Does anyone do weapons (.50s, .30s, Bren/Lewis guns, FN MAGs, various rifles/smgs etc) in 1:24th?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Weaver

Quote from: pyro-manic on February 10, 2011, 02:34:55 AM
Phil: What is that? It's gorgeous!

Does anyone do weapons (.50s, .30s, Bren/Lewis guns, FN MAGs, various rifles/smgs etc) in 1:24th?

That's the perennial problem. You can scaleorama 1/35th stuff (see below), and, at least in Car Wars, most of the bulk of most of the guns would be internal anyway, so all you really need are barrels/launch tubes, which can be scratched.

1/35th weapon          1/24th equivalent

12.7mm                    8.7mm
20mm                      13.7mm
37mm                      25.3mm
75mm                      51.4mm
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

philp

Not exactly sure which one of Jimmy's that is.  Will check the LHS to see if it is one they have.

24th scale weapons are definitely harder to come up with but they can be found.  There was a .50 on the old Hogan's Heroes Jeep kit (not a great version by the way) and Hasagawa makes a Jeep in that scale with a very nice version.  Hasagawa also makes a Kubelwagen with some decent weapons.  Rommel's Rod comes with a couple MG34s but I would like to get 4 to replace the ones I have planned for that.
Few figure kits Tamiya put out that you can get some personal weapons from but like Greg said, hard to find.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

pyro-manic

The other thing I was thinking of was the big Airfix Mossie - it comes with a lot of weapons IIRC (.303s and 20mm) and I think there are resin/brass aftermarket bits, but they're going to be on the pricy side. Same for their Spit/Stuka/Mustang etc. in that scale. Of course, you'd need to modify them with handles, triggers etc. for putting on vehicles.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

puddingwrestler

I think there might be some action figures which are the right size for 1/24; particularly in the 'I am a fully grown man but still play with dolls' action figure collectors market. You know, the ones which are historically accurate ww2 troops, often made by actual model companies...
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

- Indiana Jones

jcf

Tamiya also do a 2CV in 1/24th, and two versions of the FIAT 500: a 500F and an Abarth 695SS.

Andrew Riddle produced a wonderful whif FIAT 1000 SS Rally Coupe from the Tamitya 500 kit:
http://www.scaleworkshop.com/workshop/fiat1000ssrallycoupear_1.htm

Doc Yo

Preiser apparently makes a 1/24th scale WW2 German weapons set. I've only seen one listing for it on-line,
but its out there. ( At least I think its 1/24th-I found it under "G scale" which is a railroad scale. ) At
the other end of the scale-o-rama spectrum, Dragon made a set of 1/16th scale German weapons, and
while it might make them a bit large for 1/24th, exaggeration in the defense of WHiffery is no vice.

jcf

Quote from: Doc Yo on February 16, 2011, 12:38:32 PM
Preiser apparently makes a 1/24th scale WW2 German weapons set. I've only seen one listing for it on-line,
but its out there. ( At least I think its 1/24th-I found it under "G scale" which is a railroad scale. ) At
the other end of the scale-o-rama spectrum, Dragon made a set of 1/16th scale German weapons, and
while it might make them a bit large for 1/24th, exaggeration in the defense of WHiffery is no vice.

There are a number of 1/16th scale car kits, so how about Dragon German 1/16th MGs on the (multiply re-boxed) 1/16th scale Moggie?  ;D

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/index.php?component=content&topicid=24576&highlight=

puddingwrestler

Lots of 1/12 bikes, so 1/16 weapons would be close for those.

Weaver

Quote from: Doc Yo on February 16, 2011, 12:38:32 PM

G-scale is 1:22.5, but Preiser also do genuine 1/24th scale, and this is what the German weapon set is.

They also do a couple of sets called Adam and Eve, which are multi-part sets to make naked male and female figures in a wide variety of poses. Damned expensive and you'd have to make their clothes (well you wouldn't have to but....), but they could really enhance a car dio:

http://www.gaugemaster.com/search_results.asp?searchstring=preiser+%ac1%3a24%ac+%acfigure&style=main&andor=view&method=kws&strtype=preiser&searchtitle=figures&currentpage=3#10

Lots of other 1/24ths too: have a scout around that site.

- Indiana Jones

philp

One of my local buddies used the Eve figures for these (these are the "auto" related versions).

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

philp

Thanks for the info on the weapons.  Problem is I need 4 MG-34s and 4 Jerry cans for my Rommel Rod builds.  But not going to pay for 8 sets just to get them.  Guess will keep looking.

If I go 24th scale for this GB, was thinking of a turret on the roof with a tri barrel 20mm mounted and an evil eye type sighting system.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

puddingwrestler

Quote from: philp on February 16, 2011, 07:35:21 PM
Thanks for the info on the weapons.  Problem is I need 4 MG-34s and 4 Jerry cans for my Rommel Rod builds.  But not going to pay for 8 sets just to get them.  Guess will keep looking.

If I go 24th scale for this GB, was thinking of a turret on the roof with a tri barrel 20mm mounted and an evil eye type sighting system.

Cast your own with resin?