Habakkuk as transport, tanker, troop ship, etc.?

Started by seadude, February 10, 2011, 08:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

What other possible uses could a Habakkuk ship built out of pykrete been used for besides an aircraft carrier? Is it possible to have had a huge transport/tanker ship? A troop ship? Amphibious assault ship? Or something else? What ideas does everyone have?

BTW, If anyone wants to build a Habakkuk ship into something else, then go ahead. I've already done the original aircraft carrier version. I'd be interested in seeing what other unique model designs someone can come up with. ;)
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Cliffy B

Arctic research station maybe?

I don't picture her moving around a whole lot or traversing vast distances too often.  Something semi-stationary would suite a design like this.  Maybe a mobile resort complete with airport and docking stations along the hull for smaller ships?  I like the idea of a rescue ship.  She could handle the entire North Atlantic with her own contingent of search aircraft and even smaller ships.  I picture her acting in the mothership role since even at top speed she'd only be doing what, 8 knots?  She could have a whole gaggle of research ships, Coast Guard Cutters, merchies, etc... using her as a way station.  The International Ice Patrol would probably enlist her help as well.

Just my ideas anyway  :thumbsup:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Cobra

might also work as a Rescue Carrier,Launching Aircraft once they pick up an SOS! or you could use it as a Command Ship! Dan

GTX

Quote from: Cobra on February 10, 2011, 08:15:39 PM
might also work as a Rescue Carrier,Launching Aircraft once they pick up an SOS! or you could use it as a Command Ship! Dan

Massive overkill for those roles wouldn't you think?

One could try to use a Habakkuk derivative as a Ballistic Missile Launch platform for IRBMs.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Doc Yo

lenny100

how about as a floating ski resort, you could place all the yarhoos who enjoy breaking bones on it and just let them float away
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Mossie

Quote from: GTX on February 11, 2011, 11:11:41 AM
Quote from: Cobra on February 10, 2011, 08:15:39 PM

Massive overkill for those roles wouldn't you think?

I was thinking on a similar lines.  As a hospital ship would be able to house thousands of casualties & homeless.  It's deck could be very useful in an area where runways & landing strips were inaccessible.  It would have taken an age to deploy, but would come in to play in a longer term relief effort. Don't think it would be overkill, in many big disasters there just haven't been enough hospital ships to call on.

Quote from: GTX on February 11, 2011, 11:11:41 AM

One could try to use a Habakkuk derivative as a Ballistic Missile Launch platform for IRBMs.

Regards,

Greg

Again, taking an idea & running with it, you could also use it as a launch platform for space shots.  It'd serve the same function as the Sea Launch platform, using the equator for optimal launches.  Would fit into that Ministry of Space comic series perfectly!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

Ah yes, but a Habakkuk derived IRBM platform is perfect as a "Cold War" weapon system... :rolleyes:

Regards,

Greg

rickshaw

Make rather a large, slow moving target for a first strike though, now wouldn't it?

I think it would be perfect as a cruise ship - in the tropics.  ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Cliffy B

Doesn't she have to stay in the Arctic regions for fear of melting?  I somehow doubt her refrigeration systems would be able to sustain her in the tropics for long.  God forbid they ever break down!  :o
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Mossie

Quote from: GTX on February 11, 2011, 02:53:37 PM
Ah yes, but a Habakkuk derived IRBM platform is perfect as a "Cold War" weapon system... :rolleyes:

Regards,

Greg

How about a prison ship for time in the cooler..... :drink:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Alvis 3.14159

I could see it being used more as a moveable island than a ship. It would make a decent mid-Atlantic emergency landing strip for 1950s propliners, and errant NATO planes making the hop across the pond. You could have it loaded with all the radar and landing control systems, and not have to worry much aboot deck pitch. The cost effectiveness of that would be questionable, having so much at sea needing manning and maintanence just for emergencies, so its' primary role would be as a weather ship and mid ocean resupply for ships, in my mind anyhow. In the days before weather satellites, having ships at sea giving regular updates on the weather was vital.

Alvis Pi

GTX

Quote from: Mossie on February 11, 2011, 04:20:41 PM
Quote from: GTX on February 11, 2011, 02:53:37 PM

Regards,

Greg

How about a prison ship for time in the cooler..... :drink:

Yes, they would get a rather cold reception wouldn't they... :drink:

Regards,

Greg

Mossie

Especially if it was moored of the coast of Chile.... :rolleyes: