Main Menu

SEAC Meteor F2

Started by Gondor, February 13, 2011, 10:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiidantomcat

This is looking good dude, despite the problems!  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Gondor

Note to self:  Next time I build one of these complete the wings first with pegs to hang the engines from, then fair in the engines under the wings and into the leading edge......... not the way I have built this one   :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

The wing is really coming along nicely...keep it up !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Additional Note to Self:   Thing the wing trailing edges before I stick the wings together  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

Yet another Note to self : Keep checking your references  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Found out late last night that I was getting the shape of the engine/wing area all wrong. I was "making it round when it should have been square" to quote Bernard Cribbins

I have also had to reposition the instrument panel as it was way to close to the seat. The poor pilot would never have managed to get inside with it the way it was.

Gondor

Gondor

I find it amazing how many time I have to keep applying filler to get the shape that I want. At least each time the amount is usually smaller than the previous time. Hopefully I should have the second Primer coat on to check for the last of the flaws in the engines and wings then it will be full steam ahead with the cockpit and fuselage.

Gondor

Taiidantomcat

Its about time this kit started settling down  :banghead: Keep working it will be worth it  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Gondor

As it says to the left...... I Build Slower than a Glacier Moves....... the last kit I built took about 9 months to complete, trying to get this one finished inside about a quarter of that time is a real battle especially with the conversion work I have been carrying out.

Gondor

Gondor

I decided to add a second coat of primer as I was starting to lose focus on where the faults were.

Unfortunately I found some faults that I did not realise were there.  :banghead: :banghead: At least they are easy to get at and the primer will act as a key for the filler.

The undersides of the engines are looking much better although the primer did show up a few flaws that need attention.

The biggest problem is that I have flattened the batteries in the camera so no more progress pictures untill I buy some more batteries.

At least the wings are almost finished  :party: so I will be able to concentrate on the rest of the model.

Gondor

The Wooksta!

Now do you see why I advised so strongly against NMF?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

I have not finished with the PSR yet Lee. This aircraft will be in camouflage though, the next one I build, a F52 will be NMF though.

Gondor

buzzbomb

I reckon you are doing just dandy beating this into shape.

Waiting to see the result, which I am sure, will be worth it

Cheers

Gondor

Decided not to go any further with the PSR on the wings and engines unless I find a major problem. Because of this I gave the assembly a bath and a scrubbing with a toothbrush I keep for such occasions. The wings and engines are now air drying in my study/computer/model room. Only a couple of things to do with them now, finish boxing in the undercarriage bays which will be neater than trying to fill gaps in the wing roots later, add a few air intakes around the engines and possibly scribe the major panel lines though I am not fully decided on that yet.

Gondor

Gondor

Managed to get some real visible progress today. Photos later of the seatbelts made from masking tape and the strengthening band around the wings. The last part of the undercarriage bays were boxed in and the fuselage sides have been glued together. So tomorrow, Sunday, lots of work on the fuselage especially removing all that rivet detail which doesn't go with the panel detail on the wings so both will be removed and only a few basic panel lines will be scribed onto the parts. I shall hopefully be making several small air intakes using a cooker and a paint brush!!
Tons left to be done but the back story is written and I am really thinking I can get this finished for the Scottish Nationals on the 23rd even if it means that I do not help set up on the Friday.

Gondor

Gondor

More pictures of the progress made so far.

I am now happy enough with the wings to add detail back to them. Here the wing strengthening strips are being added after being removed during earlier alterations.

The office. About as funny too. Home made seatbelts using masking tape and wire.

And finally for now, the fuselage fully stuck together and the first and hopefully only application of filler applied. The vertical surface that Airfix had under the wing root has been removed and the wing root thinned so that it can sit over the added detail to the undercarriage bays. Test fitting shows that there will be a snug fit, but as most people will know it will probably have room to spare when the glue is added later this week when it is fitted permanently.

Later today I will attempt to make the extra little air intakes for the engines without burning down the place as they will be made with a cooker and a paint brush!

Gondor