SpitWulf

Started by tc2324, February 15, 2011, 03:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc2324

Quote from: Cliffy B on February 19, 2011, 07:38:37 PM
Quote from: sotoolslinger on February 19, 2011, 07:16:34 PM
This will be AWESOME :wub:

Yeah, what he said!!!  :cheers:

So what kind of colors are we going to see or is that still classified?

Cheers guys, I hope it all works out... :wacko:

Scheme is still classified at this time Cliffy....., (thats code for `I`m still thinking about it..`) :lol:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Chap

Quote from: tc2324 on February 20, 2011, 06:19:55 AM

Yeah, what he said!!!  :cheers:

Scheme is still classified at this time Cliffy....., (thats code for `I`m still thinking about it..`) :lol:

Lovely work so far. May I suggest Turkish markings? During the course of the war they operated both types.

~Steve

tc2324

Quote from: Chap on February 20, 2011, 06:59:50 AM
Quote from: tc2324 on February 20, 2011, 06:19:55 AM

Yeah, what he said!!!  :cheers:

Lovely work so far. May I suggest Turkish markings? During the course of the war they operated both types.

~Steve

Funny you should say that. Was thinking of Swiss and Turkish markings in my backstory. :thumbsup: :wacko:

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

After filling, applying some shape so it all blends together and then sanding it all down, I find it a good idea to give a quick spray of primer so you can spot any problem areas easier. Heres where I`m at......, :wacko:

Tiger, Tiger!

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Gondor

They fit together remarkably well

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

tc2324

Cheers guys. The fit is pretty good. There are a couple of `small` issues, but these can be fixed pretty easily.

By the way, I`m trying to locate Would War Two colour schemes and marking for the Turkish and Swiss airforces, so if anyone can help put me in the right direction that would e great. :thumbsup:

Tiger, Tiger!

PR19_Kit

They're both amazing!  :thumbsup:

Your brain won't link either shape you see with any known type at first, it takes a long time for the various bits to sink in.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

tc2324

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 22, 2011, 07:01:20 AM
They're both amazing!  :thumbsup:

Your brain won't link either shape you see with any known type at first, it takes a long time for the various bits to sink in.

Cheers Kit. I`m glad they come across as some kind of `unknown` types. :thumbsup:

Added some `warpaint` tonight..... :-\ :wacko:

I like the FockeFire, but I may redo the SpitWulf as I`m not entirely happy with it. Although it may just need a third coat... :rolleyes:

Tiger, Tiger!

sotoolslinger

I was right :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:.
It is difficult to figure out what mix of parts make up the whole :thumbsup:
Most Excellent.
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Taiidantomcat

very nice!!  :thumbsup: You are a machine!!  :o
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

tc2324

:cheers: guys.

Today I put the SpitWulf and FockeFire into their respective colours. The SpitWulf going to the Regia Aeronautica Italiana and the FockeFire to the Swiss Air Force. Just need to do a bit of weathering then it`s onto the diorama pictures and backstory. ;)

Tiger, Tiger!

pyro-manic

Oh yes. Very, very nice indeed. :thumbsup: Now to get mine finished!
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

tc2324

Backstory and piccies for you to enjoy..... :wacko:

With some countries struggling to keep up with the fast pace of fighter design during World War Two, it was inevitable that hybrid aircraft would be developed for test evaluation purposes using the best qualities of the more modern machines that existed. Two such examples have recently come to light with one coming from a neutral country, and surprisingly, the other coming from a combatant in that same conflict.

The first hybrid type comes from Switzerland. With combat taking place around it`s borders the Swiss purchased a number of aircraft types including German Bf 109, Italian Macchi MC.202, and French Morane D-3800 fighters. After the combat that took place in June 1940 when in six days of aerial battles, eleven German aircraft were downed, with a loss of two Swiss aircraft and three airmen killed, the Swiss noticed a deficiency within their inventory and realised, despite their success, that they could not sustain a continued air assault by the Germans. Many designs were looked at but it wasn`t until 1943 when a Focke Wulf 190 and Spitfire Vb crash landed within days of each other inside the Swiss border that a plan was formulated to blend the two together. Only three poor quality pictures exist of the hybrid and records of it`s performance during the testing stage have long been lost. It is safe to say however, that as this type did not go into production, problems were encountered with the type and no doubt spares were hard to come by as well as the reverse engineering issues.

The second hybrid example comes from Italy. At the start of the war Italy`s air arm was outdated and verging on obsolete. Many advanced types were still either on the drawing board or at least a year away from first flight. Fiat started to look at Allied and Axis aircraft types and with various crashed Spitfires littering the various battlefields took an interest in the wing shape and design. At about the same time Hitler `gifted` a FW 190 to Italy for evaluation. With the more powerful BMW 801 engine and and easy cockpit layout it wasn`t long before Italy were ready to fly their hybrid. Unfortunately only one test flight was carried out before the aircraft crashed on it`s second flight killing the test pilot in the process. In the following investigation it was announced that the wing had separated from the fuselage and the project was quickly shelved soon after. The only photos known to exist were taken in the morning prior to that fateful second test flight.

Tiger, Tiger!

hurricanemk1c

Nice build there TC!

But, I know this is a bit late now, as soon as the Spitwulf's nose goes down (tail up), the prop tips will hit the 'deck'and damage the engine. Sorry, but it's just the angle the second B&W photo is taken at

Once again though, nice builds!