London Day Out 2011

Started by Nick, February 16, 2011, 01:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Last month I suggested we have a London get together and it seems popular so this is the official plan. All times are approximate and can be changed!

Saturday 19th March

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/southernexpo/
The Southern Expo at Hornchurch Leisure Centre (RM11 1JU) is best done on the Saturday. Those of us who will go can meet at lunchtime for a chat or go to a nearby pub afterwards.

Sunday 20th March

10am: Meet at the London Eye for a free visit using my staff card.
11am: Wander down to the Imperial War Museum for an afternoon of browsing. It's about a 10 minute walk away. Well worth seeing the new Lord Ashcroft Medal Gallery and the shop is well stocked with kits.
5pm: Get kicked out of museum and visit pub next door. They do sell proper beer, not just fizzy horse piss! :cheers:
6pm: Go to Imperial Tandoori across road for curry.

What do you think? :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Sounds good Nick. Unfortunately I might well be away that weekend. I'll know hopefully this coming weekend.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Nick,

I'll definitely be at the Southern Expo on the Saturday and most probably be able to get to The Eye on the Sunday, but it's my Mum's 97th birthday that day! I have to get back to Gloucestershire to collect Mrs PR19 and then return to Oxford by tea time, so timing may be a tad tight......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

why dont you you bring the missus with you Kit. You could let her loose on Oxford street, while you do the show :)
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

'Cos I'll be working in Essex the whole of the previous week. The thought of leaving Mrs PR19 at Lakeside for a WEEK fills me with DREAD!!!!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Martin H

LOL
so much for being retired eh
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

lancer

Count me in Nick. It'll be good to meet up with some of the gang.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Freightdog862

That will be nice, a what-if expedition party at Southern Expo, you can pick up some new resin sets from me while your there....
Colin

GTX

Folks,

Is there anything happening around September that might be the basis for a similar event?  Ask since I plan to be there in September.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Nick

I don't know of any events in September but there is no reason we couldn't do something then. Maybe a trip to the RAF Museum or HMS Belfast or even go out to Duxford?

GTX

Quote from: Nick on February 19, 2011, 03:41:55 PM
I don't know of any events in September but there is no reason we couldn't do something then. Maybe a trip to the RAF Museum or HMS Belfast or even go out to Duxford?

Sounds good - I will keep all you chaps informed of my plan as we get closer.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

buzzbomb

Hmm.. I am coming over in Aprli, so I will miss this, and of course any other model show scheduled, I am aware of, appear to be in the diametric opposite part of the UK that I plan to be in at that time.

Oh well.. the next major trip to the UK will be for Scalemodelworld 2013, the 50th anniversary of IPMS. Hope to get a few antipodes modellers on the pilgrimage for that year.

kitbasher

Quote from: Nick on February 19, 2011, 03:41:55 PM

After a quarter century of promising to go I finally visited the Belfast late last year.  Fantastic.  Can't recommend it enough.  Even bought a Revell (ex-Matchbox) Walrus on the way out.
Checking Domestic Command to see if I'm free for the IWM trip, will confirm soon.
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Gondor

I once tried to get to the Southern Expo one year, 1989 I think it was, I had just bought a car and had decided to drive down from Hitchin. Only got as far as Wellen-Garden_City when the temperature gauge went through the roof as it were. Eventually found out that the water pump has seized  :angry:

Hope you all enjoy the show and wish I could join in.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on February 20, 2011, 04:27:10 AM
After a quarter century of promising to go I finally visited the Belfast late last year.  Fantastic. 

Umpteen years ago, around 1973 or so, I managed to get lumbered with the job of IPMS UK Branch Liason Officer, probably because I got free rail travel as I worked for BR, and could travel all over to see the various Branch secretaries.

I thought it would be a good idea if we ALL met at one place, and to make it interesting I held the first meeting on the foredeck of HMS Belfast, just forward of A turret.  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit