London Day Out 2011

Started by Nick, February 16, 2011, 01:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin H

Quote from: buzzbomb on February 20, 2011, 02:03:51 AM
Hmm.. I am coming over in Aprli, so I will miss this, and of course any other model show scheduled, I am aware of, appear to be in the diametric opposite part of the UK that I plan to be in at that time.

Oh well.. the next major trip to the UK will be for Scalemodelworld 2013, the 50th anniversary of IPMS. Hope to get a few antipodes modellers on the pilgrimage for that year.

When in April and where.

shows in the uk in april are as follows

April 2nd IPMS Newbury NewMod 2011
April 9th Sword & Lance. Darlington
April 10th. Shropshire model show at RAFM Cosford.
April 16th. Poole Vikings and IPMS Dorset show.
April 23rd/24th Scottish Nationals. Perth (the real Perth).
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

buzzbomb

Quote from: Martin H on February 21, 2011, 12:54:57 PM

When in April and where.

shows in the uk in april are as follows

April 2nd IPMS Newbury NewMod 2011
April 9th Sword & Lance. Darlington
April 10th. Shropshire model show at RAFM Cosford.
April 16th. Poole Vikings and IPMS Dorset show.
April 23rd/24th Scottish Nationals. Perth (the real Perth).

from 4 April...  and this is a better list than I have found elsewhere.. although I don't think it helps much.
Pretty much I am around Devon/Wales for first couple of weeks, then going North, via Cosford ironically, on about the 15th, to Huddersfield area for a couple of days to dig up some dead relatives.
Possibly the Scottish Nationals being the closest match to location versus dates.
Hmmm I wonder if the GLW (Good lady Wife) would consider a quick trip to Scotland.
Oh well, my turn on the 2013 trip :wacko: :wacko:

NARSES2

Quote from: buzzbomb on February 21, 2011, 08:01:26 PM
then going North, via Cosford ironically, on about the 15th, to Huddersfield area for a couple of days to dig up some dead relatives.

Be carefull with that, they are still in the Dark Ages up there and you'll probably get accused of witchcraft   ;) Mind you a boiled spuds a couple of dumplings, mushy peas and some carrots and you'll have friends for life
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Deep Fried Mars Bars......... Yummy

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

I can't stand jellied eels as it happens - I'm a pie and mash man (Gary has a story about that) and whelks  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

There's a few London museums I want to do some time and there's a lot more outside of London!

Brooklands Museum - former racetrack, motorsport centre, Mercedes HQ, ex-Vickers and Hawker factory, Wellington Hangar, TSR-2 cockpit, Concorde etc.
National Army Museum - good history of the British Army, regular changes to the special exhibition.
Royal Air Force Museum - need I say more?
HMS Belfast - haven't been on board for 20 years.

Outside of London
Any aircraft museum or airshow is good!
Motor Heritage Centre, Gaydon. Lots of old and concept cars.
Manchester Science and Industry museum, not been there for 14 years. Lightning prototypes and old steam trains!
Royal Navy Museums in Portsmouth.

As you can see we're not limited for places to go out and meet up!  :cheers:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nick on February 25, 2011, 02:36:36 AM
Lightning prototypes and old steam trains!

One of which is the BIGGEST steam loco in the whole of UK, and no, it's not a Brit or American. It's a South African Railways Garratt, albeit having been built at Beyer-Peacock's Manchster plant, but is it ever HUGE!.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

As there are only 3 of us going this day out doesn't really seem worth it. I'm also a bit short of cash having just bought and got a car on the road.

We will have to try again in the summer when the weather is nicer. Sorry guys.

Army of One

As long as I can get time off work I'd be up for the day.....seems great.....the London eye then IWM.....I could bring SWMBO'd.....she can go to the aquarium with our son.....H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!