Blohm und Voss P.196T STOL

Started by Tophe, February 16, 2011, 10:08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

After the joke of my sparebox model, let me start the next "serious" model: Blohm-und-Voss P.196 twin-boomer of Planet Models 1/72:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

Well, the P.196 has not been built and this is already what-if, but I NEED a further step in what-ifery. So... as I need a reduced size, there will be no external wings but biplane wings or something. At least. Or I may install a lift enhancer (radial engine/nose of Hellcat I found broken) to give STOL performance...

Gondor

How about as a WIG aircraft?

Wing
In
Ground effect

GOndor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Tophe

You are right: such a short span with vertical lift power could direct to the WIG class. Thanks! ;D

pyro-manic

Cool! Tandem-wing and/or WiG would be cool. What about mounting the engine on a pylon above the fuselage, like a lot of flying boats had?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Tophe

Oh, thanks for this new idea... And if tilting/rotating, it could provide STOL ability maybe. I hope I will have skills enough...

Tophe

For the pod, I will use only the part above: to be streamined, and no need of jet engine below as there will be a radial on pylon...

Tophe

Well advanced BUT: HELP! (For the very first time in my life I succeeded in preparing) the thermoformed canopy, HOW TO GLUE IT? If I remember correctly, my cyanoacrylate glue would dissolve it... So how proceeding? Thanks.

PR19_Kit

Tophe,

ACC may not dissolve the canopy, but it will probably frost it.

I'd try white glue, or the French alternative (Glue Blanc?) or the pukka stuff would be Kristal Kleer, otherwise used for making small windows in models. It'll take a while to dry so you'll have to clamp it in place.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

Yes. The white glue mentioned by Kit is normally used for glueing wood, but it works okay for keeping a canopy in place. It's not very strong, and it dissolves in water.

Stargazer

Quote from: Hobbes on March 02, 2011, 01:40:24 PM
Yes. The white glue mentioned by Kit is normally used for glueing wood, but it works okay for keeping a canopy in place. It's not very strong, and it dissolves in water.

That's what we call "colle blanche or "colle vinylique". It's great for wood, paper or fabric.

Tophe

Thanks a lot for your gluing advices, so useful! :cheers: :thumbsup:
Well, the principle of this aircraft is progressing also in my mind: I was both interested by the suggestion to make it a WIG and worried by the use of a so big tube as pylon for the engine; together this brings the answer: the tube will not be only a pylon but an exhaust tube towards a vertical motorjet, providing both STOL and WIG abilities... :blink: ;D

Tophe

Tophe

Featuring the motorjet tube (providing lift, that makes unnecessary external wings):

Tophe

Opposite: hiding the big tube...