USAF Wild Weasel HELP please...

Started by Radish, February 21, 2011, 04:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

What about mounting the radar-detection gear in the sides of the FAST packs?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Weaver

Although FAST stands for Fuel And Sensor Tactical, as far as I know they've only been used for fuel so far. Based on an F-15E kit, but claiming it to be a D-based "F-15G", my inclination would be to make the EW systems internal: there's growth space anyway, plus the gun could be taken out as per the F-4G. Forward ESM aerials would go in small pods on the LANTIRN pylons and/or in the wing root position vacated by the gun, plus the equivalent fairing on the other side (which is empty, as far as I know). An ALQ-131 jammer would go on the centreline, and four HARMs would go on wing pylons: the two normal ones, plus re-activated outerwing ones. Fuel would go in the FAST packs, plus 6 x CBUs on the FAST pylons for SAM launcher destruction. Four Sidewinders would be carried as normal.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

Quote from: GTX on February 21, 2011, 12:03:12 PM
B-1B - one big Wild Weasel  ;D

There's the B-1R proposal, V-tail mach 2 bomb truck proposal, I'm sure ARM's would be an option. That would be one serious DEAD platform!!!  It's real world.  Wouldn't need too much work, just the V-tail, pylons & a Kings ransom worth of Hasegawa weapons sets!

CGI:

Bageras three view:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Maverick

There's always SRAM for armament.  200KT of nuke seem just the thing for serious SEAD, if a little OTT.  There was even an ARM version planned, but never produced (& an AAM version!!!).

Regards,

Mav

GTX

Something for you if you go the F-15 route - http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=174400

Also, you might like to buy one of the patches shown below (they are often available on eBay) to go with it.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Radish

That RAAF Weasel looks awesome!!
I think there was use of F-111As in Vietnam on a single-plane mission scenario busting radar sites.

Really thinking now along the lines of a USAF Tornado WW and an F-16 2-seat Big Spine  WW.....hope they meet the USAF SIG criteria, but if they don't, bugger, I'll have built them ;D ;D
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Radish

So then, I have a Revell (and an Italeri) Tornado ECR already in the stash, and a couple of Kinetic "Big Spine" two-seaters have been ordered.....need WW decals now. No problemo :thumbsup:

I'll look out for an F-15E to play with too. :drink: :party:

rickshaw

Quote from: GTX on February 21, 2011, 12:03:12 PM
F-111 - the RAAF trialled F-111s with HARM (see pics below), so I am sure the concept could have been applied to USAF F-111s.

Did the RAAF F-111s ever actually carry the HARM or was it just something they experimented with?  I don't think I've ever seen an operational F-111 carrying one, just trials ones like your pictures.

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Go the whole hog and fill the bomb-bays of a B-36 with HARMs!

It could trundle along at 35000 ft and spend a couple of hours lobbing them at any poor unsuspecting radar that dared to energise. They'd get an echo SO huge they'd dismiss it as interferrence anyway........  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

anthonyp

I always liked the F-15G Wild Eagle path.

I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 22, 2011, 06:49:48 AM
Go the whole hog and fill the bomb-bays of a B-36 with HARMs!

It could trundle along at 35000 ft and spend a couple of hours lobbing them at any poor unsuspecting radar that dared to energise. They'd get an echo SO huge they'd dismiss it as interferrence anyway........  ;D

"Boss, that 'weather front' is firing stuff at us........."  ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

Quote from: anthonyp on February 22, 2011, 12:16:54 PM
I always liked the F-15G Wild Eagle path.

I like that Anthony, a question though, would the USAF use a USN pod, photos of the F-4G don't seem to show those like that, it's all carried in the nose isn't it ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

ChernayaAkula

^ Do you mean the underwing pod? That's an AN/ALQ-99 jamming pod for jamming radio signals. The F-4G's mods were only for analysing radar emissions and guidance of the ARM, not for jamming radars. The USAF EF-111s carried a system similar to the AN/ALQ-99, although internally.
Think Anthony went for a load-out that allows for both a soft kill (jamming) as well as a hard kill (HARM), much like USN/USMC Prowlers do.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Radish

Found this while surfing...potential?

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Radish on February 22, 2011, 03:43:29 PM
...potential?

Loads of!  :thumbsup:

Don't think anyone could ever grow tired of looking at F-16XLs! :wub: Looks good with the ever so slight humpback Would love to see someone repop the 1/72 kit. With all the "historical", "vintage" kits coming out, this one would be very nice to have, even if it has some inaccuracies.

Is that a 1/32 kit? Going by the missiles on the wingtips, whoever built this used the rather crummy Trumpeter 1/32 AIM-9X.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?