USAF Wild Weasel HELP please...

Started by Radish, February 21, 2011, 04:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

This should help, borrowed from Hobbes post on the Tornado thread.  The ADV had two plugs fore & aft of the wings, the Tornado 2000 followed the same pattern.  Not sure if they were identical in size.  Just for info, it's likely that an any US version would have used the ADV fuselage with the IDS nose.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Cheers - didn't know the ADV had an aft plug also. :thumbsup:

I always thought it would be good to convert some surplus F.3s to full SEAD aircraft for the RAF, that is a full conversion, not just clearing them to fire ALARMs. They'd have been a better platform for the RAPTOR pod too, given their better altitude performance.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Radish

Meanwhile, I'll be starting a Tornado ECR with a few extra lumps, bumps and antenna thingies, and a conformal tank too under the fuselage. This, of course, will mean external tanks aren't necessary, a good thing as there won't be enough ground clearance for under-fuselage missiles. So the missiles will now go under the wings, where the fuel tanks used to be. Also, the Refuelling probe will obviously be deleted and a "socket" will end up somewhere on top.

I've also started a WW version of the F-107.
Drill out the rear cockpit so that a seat can go behind the single-seat position. There is minimal glazing anyway.
Smooth over the underfuselage hole for the conformal tank, and add two underfuselage stores pylons for appropriate stores.
Add underwing pylons for fuel tanks (F-4 Phantom) and Sidewinders (from the F-4 again).
Add bulges and antennae once more.

Both will be USAF.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Radish

All the sub-assemblies for the F-107 WW are built....rubbing down and assembly tomorrow, so that I can detail the wheel wells, cockpit, etc..on Sunday at Crewe

The sub-assemblies for the Tornado will soon be in a similar state, and the ventral tank will be a cutie. :party:
Same plan as for the F-107.
Assembly tomorrow and then detail on Sunday at Crewe.

Mossie

Quote from: Weaver on February 25, 2011, 03:00:06 AM
Cheers - didn't know the ADV had an aft plug also. :thumbsup:

I always thought it would be good to convert some surplus F.3s to full SEAD aircraft for the RAF, that is a full conversion, not just clearing them to fire ALARMs. They'd have been a better platform for the RAPTOR pod too, given their better altitude performance.

Took this pic quite some time ago for a completely different reason, but it shows the differences well.  The two 1/72 Tonkas are a GR.4 on the left, F.3 in the middle.  I lined the wing gloves up & it shows the fuselage differences nicely.  IIRC the stretch needed to be both fore & aft so the CofG didn't shift too much during wing sweep.

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

Quote from: Radish on February 25, 2011, 10:38:33 AM
All the sub-assemblies for the F-107 WW are built....rubbing down and assembly tomorrow, so that I can detail the wheel wells, cockpit, etc..on Sunday at Crewe

The sub-assemblies for the Tornado will soon be in a similar state, and the ventral tank will be a cutie. :party:
Same plan as for the F-107.
Assembly tomorrow and then detail on Sunday at Crewe.

Photos please!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Weaver

Quote from: Mossie on February 25, 2011, 01:34:48 PM

Took this pic quite some time ago for a completely different reason, but it shows the differences well.  The two 1/72 Tonkas are a GR.4 on the left, F.3 in the middle.  I lined the wing gloves up & it shows the fuselage differences nicely.  IIRC the stretch needed to be both fore & aft so the CofG didn't shift too much during wing sweep.

Makes sense.  :thumbsup:

It was quite an ingenious modification because the only structural changes to the UK-only F.3 were to the UK-built forward fuselage. I suppose putting a UK-built plug in between the German centre fuselage and UK (?) tail wasn't much more of a difficulty.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Gondor

The rear extension was partly due to the extended jet pipe of the Mk104? engine that the F3 used. The F2 that preceded the F3 only had the forward extension along with the sleeker nose.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

GTX

Damn it Radish!!!  Now you have me planning to do an Alt Wild Weasel F-111.  And just because I was the one who suggested the F-111 originally is not an excuse!

Now, where may I easily find 4 AGM-88s in 1/48???

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Speaking of F-15 WWs, here's a subtle one (though with bite - 2 General Electric GPU-5/A 30mm Gun Pods on the inner pylons!!!)

More here.

Regards,

Greg

Radish

OOOOOHHHHHH :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Meanwhile, we're virtually "on target"....all cleaned up airframes and final bits and pieces at Crewe tomorrow. :party:

Radish

Spent too much time talking at Crewe :drink: :party: :blink:

But the F-107G now has an undercarriage, fuselage pylons, and more to come as well. It'll need a long runway ;D

Radish

Well, need super glue for the nose probe as mine has just dried up. Bugger. Otherwise, paper panels glued on and we're ready to prime with Halford's Grey Primer.
USAF of course with an "experimental" colour scheme.....based in Thailand for operations in SE Asia.
The F-107G is targetted for completion for Staffs club meet on Thursday.

Meanwhile.....

Radish

Got a Block 52 to play with and decals on the way.

Also, with a spare spine I shall play with a Monogram F-16XL...I have one.....somewhere!! :banghead: