Main Menu

Hispano Aviacion HA-207

Started by frank2056, February 21, 2011, 01:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Bungle

Very nice !

On the tail sitting issue it's a pain in the **** when you think you have added enough but she still wants to sit on her rump. The P-63 pictured below was just such a case, Packed with lead it just refused to act like a lady and pose for the camera. My solution a piece of clear sprue added between the main undercart angled backwards and then trimmed to get her sitting just right. The next thing is to change the camera angle so that the extra leg can't be seen.

If you look at the Convair Charger in picture 2 you can just see the 'leg'.

Excellent kit, well conceived, well done !   :bow:

Bungle
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

frank2056

Thanks guys - This airplane is a good example of a real world whif - the designer claimed that it was a real late WWII Italian project and didn't fly because the Jumo 004 engine had been delivered late by the Germans. In reality, he made the whole thing up long after the war.

I'm not sure how much more weight I could have put in this airplane. The main gear may be a little too short (but it's the same length as the resin gear) but I think the main problem is that long tail. Eben though it's hollow, that's a lot of resin. I don't know how long this plane would sit on the original resin gear without snapping them off.

Bungle - those are great looking airplanes! The P-63 looks fantastic. I don't think the French ever used it, or did they? Did you kitbash or scratchbuild the Charger?

Doc Yo

I'd read about this bogus bird a few years ago. Compared to the Nazi flying saucer nonsense ( which also came
out of Italy post-war ) its a fairly mild bit of nonsense, and besides, its a nice looking airframe. Nice looking
finish, Frank.

sequoiaranger

:thumbsup:

I once did a SOLID RESIN He-280 and was wondering how it was EVER going to sit on its nose. Then I hit upon an idea---take a Vac-form He-280 and use THAT for everything in back of the wing! That helped a lot. I even drilled out chambers in the nose (through the LG door opening) and stuffed them with lead. Finally worked, but I would HATE to drop it and have it land on my toe!! I, too used styrene landing gear, as we all know how brittle resin gear is.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Bungle

The P-63C Kingcobra is the HI-Tech French made resin kit and is built straight from the box using the kit decals. It would seem the French used the P-63 both in North Africa and IndoChina in the late forties / early fifties http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/681/21/0 I love the lines of this aircraft just very frustrated in how to get it to sit and behave !

The Charger is the Miku Resin kit and comes from another Group Build http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,23567.0/highlight,charger.html. The fuselage is solid resin but even with that weight it still sat up and begged !

Keep up the good work !
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

frank2056

In the closing days of WWII, Spain realized that Germany was both a lost cause and an opportunity. They obtained a license to build the Jumo 004 from the RLM and hired several Italian aircraft designers to draw up plans for a single engined fighter based on the Jumo 004.

The result was the Hispano Aviacion HA-207. Like many early jet aircraft, the HA-207 failed to meet the original design goals. The long intake trunk had a negative effect on the Jumo 004's performance, but the HA-207 was still somewhat faster than the best piston engined fighters of its day. The Spanish government ordered 14 airframes with 10 destined for front line service.

In May 1946 (shortly after the first few airframes were delivered to the military) Spain faced a well armed revolt in Spanish West Africa. The rebels were using old German armor as well as a few rebuilt Me-109s against Spanish colonial interests and military installations. Spain sent five HA 207s to FuerteVentura, Canary Islands, where they were reassembled and sent on patrol and ground attack missions. They were eventually moved to bases on the African continent, but the jet's limited range and the effects of desert sand and dust on the engines cut short their deployment.

------------

Finally finished! I "solved" the tail-sitting problem with a small dab of museum wax on the nosewheel. It holds pretty well!

Taking off:

Top view:

Side view:

Thanks for looking!

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Bungle

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tuck

Quote from: Bungle on March 21, 2011, 05:41:56 AM

Very nice !

On the tail sitting issue it's a pain in the **** when you think you have added enough but she still wants to sit on her rump. The P-63 pictured below was just such a case, Packed with lead it just refused to act like a lady and pose for the camera. My solution a piece of clear sprue added between the main undercart angled backwards and then trimmed to get her sitting just right. The next thing is to change the camera angle so that the extra leg can't be seen.

If you look at the Convair Charger in picture 2 you can just see the 'leg'.

Excellent kit, well conceived, well done !   :bow:

MAN!  Where did you get a kit of the Convair Charger!?????  I want one!  Is it a conversion?

Bungle
"I do this hobby for fun not to be nitpicked, and that's one reason i love this place (What-If) so much, its not necessarily the quality, its the 'spirit' of the build or idea that's important..."-Beowulf

dumaniac

well done with a challenging kit - I have never done a full resin kit so hats off to you

a wee bit of super sticky or tacky glue might hold the nose to the base - also if you sand the main tyres a bit flat, it might "want" to sit a bit more forward (depending on how much weight is out back)

cheers Bernie