Turbo Prop Oceanic Research Plane Idea

Started by Cobra, February 21, 2011, 09:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, just had an Idea. What If the B-36,Avro Shackleton,TU-95,Etc. were used as Oceanic Research Planes,Dropping Probes,Etc. for Ocean Research? the Reason i ask is because i thought a Plane like the B-36,Etc.being powered by Turbo Prop Engines would be able to Remain aloft a Lot Longer than a normal jet for that Purpose.  What Say You? Thanks for looking.Dan

Maverick

Dan, I believe the USN had P-3s modified for just that purpose operated by the NRL (Naval Research Laboratory).  They were either RP-3s or NP-3s, I can't recall which, but were specifically modified for oceanographic research.

HTH,

Mav

GTX

Quotea Plane like the B-36,Etc.being powered by Turbo Prop Engines

No B-36 was ever powered by turboprops.

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Maverick

For that matter, the Shack wasn't flown operationally with Turboprops either.  In truth, high-endurance aircraft (with exceptions of course) are usually turboprop by default (eg: Orion, Tu-95, etc)

Regards.

Mav

Rheged

Is this the point at which the proposed Shackleton MR5 with the Napier Nomad diesel engines makes a guest appearance?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

tigercat

You could do one in a lovely turquoise as part of the National Underwater and Marine Agency (NUMA) from Clive Cusslers books.

MiB

My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"

kitnut617

Quote from: Rheged on February 22, 2011, 03:29:08 AM
Is this the point at which the proposed Shackleton MR5 with the Napier Nomad diesel engines makes a guest appearance?

I think you'll find it was the MR.4 Rheged,

It was offered as an all Nomad engined aircraft, or two Nomads and two Griffons and like this with R-3350 radials.  You'll notice it was to have Vulcan (or Belfast) main u/c gear
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Like a 4 engined Mercator! I love it, and easily buildable too.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 19, 2013, 11:58:10 AM
Quote from: Rheged on February 22, 2011, 03:29:08 AM

I think you'll find it was the MR.4 Rheged,

It was offered as an all Nomad engined aircraft, or two Nomads and two Griffons and like this with R-3350 radials.  You'll notice it was to have Vulcan (or Belfast) main u/c gear

You are  quite correct!  I can only plead either a slip of the finger or age and decrepitude.   Kit is  right, it would be an interesting build.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kitnut617

I've got most of the pieces collected to build one, I wanted to do it with the Nomads but I've not been able to find a photo of the test aircraft which had them mounted on the wings so I can see what the nacelle looked like.  I've seen all the ones of the Lanc with it stuck in the nose though, but I don't think that was the nacelle shape.

It's either that or go with the R-3350 version.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kerick

A turbo B-36 would be a fun whiff.  An ocean research version would make a great story.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 19, 2013, 05:00:43 PM
I've got most of the pieces collected to build one, I wanted to do it with the Nomads but I've not been able to find a photo of the test aircraft which had them mounted on the wings so I can see what the nacelle looked like. 

You're on a winner there then Robert, no-one will be able to say you're wrong so you can go with any shape you like.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

martinbayer

Turboprop B-35 version or better yet B-49!

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

McColm

I'm building a tanker version of the Shackleton with radial engines from a Constellation. I did try using  four Allision T56 turboprops, but I'm using them on another Connie build.