O

Boeing's "Planes that never flew"

Started by Overkiller, February 21, 2011, 11:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overkiller

PR19_Kit

Fascinating stuff! We could spent about a YEAR in there making notes! Well spotted.

They didn't mention this one though............   ;D

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

I think most of us would kill to be let loose in that archive :)
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 22, 2011, 07:28:28 AM

Fascinating stuff! We could spent about a YEAR in there making notes! Well spotted.

They didn't mention this one though............   ;D

That was build by Lockheed wasn't it ?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Martin H

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Cliffy B

Neato!  Nice find man  :thumbsup:  So who's gonna build an International Husky?
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on February 22, 2011, 01:15:27 PM

Well actually it was built by me, as Boeing never got around to buidling the full-size one.  ;D

It's a 767-200DD, and there was a 767-300DD planned as well, one day I'll make that too. I have the Boeing booklet that proposed the various half-deckers, which originally morphed into the 777 somewhat amazingly.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Stargazer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 22, 2011, 06:22:02 PM
Quote from: Gondor on February 22, 2011, 01:15:27 PM

Well actually it was built by me, as Boeing never got around to buidling the full-size one.  ;D

It's a 767-200DD, and there was a 767-300DD planned as well, one day I'll make that too. I have the Boeing booklet that proposed the various half-deckers, which originally morphed into the 777 somewhat amazingly.

Are you saying that the 767-200DD is not YOUR personal creation, but an actual Boeing project?!?  :unsure:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on February 22, 2011, 06:41:40 PM
Are you saying that the 767-200DD is not YOUR personal creation, but an actual Boeing project?!?  :unsure:

As Duncan says, that's the case, yes.

The brochure is fascinating, not the least because it's got a BAe Technical Library sticker on the front!  :o

It has various proposals for stretching the 767, one of which became the -400, and other more bizarre proposals like the -DD aircraft. It's weird to see that they acctually went into print with it.

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

What was the point of the half-upper deck?  And why in such an odd location?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

They wanted to increase the pax capacity while still using large chunks of the standard 767, including most of the wing and fuselage.

The existing wing could lift some extra weight, but it wouldn't lift a whole extra upper deck. The upper bubble was structurally most of a 737-300 fuselage, and that's what I used for the model too, just inverted the tail so it sloped down instead of up.

The 'bubble' was at the back because it was better aerodynamically than anywhere else it seems. The longer -300 model was supposed to use a 737-400 upper bubble on a 767-300 main fuselage, but that had larger engines, and an increased wing span too.

You can see why they DIDN'T build the things, it was a loy easier to make the 767-400 and then the 777!

Regards
Kit